Arguably the top 2 headline names from this "low-ranked" class were Brock Berglund and Dajon Williams. Two facts you hear a lot are that we haven't had an all-conference quarterback since Scott Hall's last season in 2004, and that we haven't had a winning season since 2004. This is not a coincidence and you shouldn't fool yourself to think it is. Quarterback has one of the strongest correlations, there are still exceptions, to team success out of any position in any team sport.

I know this might be beating a dead horse, but our quarterback play must improve and can make a huge difference. Whether it's DT or Berglund this year, the success of this team will ride largely on the success of our quarterback play.

Looking farther down the road, even if DT comes out and has a good senior year, Coach Mac's job security will be greatly tied to the play of Brock Berglund and Dajon Williams.

Finally, I want to ask you guys a question. What do you think about us starting the season with a two-quarterback rotation between DT and Berglund?

Mccarney seemed open to the idea in his presser. I would rather not, but like he said, whatever gives us a better chance to win.

• Upvote 3

I think the two biggest pickups, for at least this season, are probably Brock Berglund and Darius Terrell.

I wonder if Chico and Mac would consider putting some read option plays in for our QB's. Berglund and Williams would appear to be near-perfect read option QB's. The read option is hot right now. It wouldn't be bad taking advantage of it, before the defenses catch up.

• Upvote 1

I think the two biggest pickups, for at least this season, are probably Brock Berglund and Darius Terrell.

I wonder if Chico and Mac would consider putting some read option plays in for our QB's. Berglund and Williams would appear to be near-perfect read option QB's. The read option is hot right now. It wouldn't be bad taking advantage of it, before the defenses catch up.

Great point. It's been a hot play for a while now and if you block it well and have a true running threat at qb it is hard to stop. Defenses don't respect DT's running ability, or throwing ability for that matter.

Billy...not a fan of two qb system. I dont have a problem pulling a guy if he is having a really bad day, but only if REAL bad. I personally think you need the continuity. Plus, and you can speak to this directly, cadence is a big thing and two guys will sound different and could have issues with that.

• Upvote 1

This is going to clear up tremendously after the Spring Game. If Thompson improves his accuracy, he may be a better QB for us next year. If Berglund's running ability makes our defense look silly (as has been reported by the coaching staff), then that wrinkle alone may be enough to have him as the starter despite Thompson's improvements.

• Upvote 1

Part of the reason we have had poor QB play is because of poor scheme and poor OL play. In Dickey's last years, Woody Wilson could make plays with his feet and his arm, but Dickey didn't like his freelancing. He wanted a guy to hand off to Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas and run the clock out. His offensive scheme was so poor, that 9 or more in the box was almost what Meager/Wilson/Phillips dealt with durnig his last two years. Then Dodge gets here and his offensive line was just awful. Vizza probably would've been a great QB here, but he took one hell of a beating because the OL was a sieve. Dodge totally ignored linemen, so we were set to get our QB killed. Basically, the same thing happened to Riley Dodge and Nathan Tune, both of whom just took outrageous beatings. Part of that was scheme, but a bigger part was the OL not being very good and Riley, especially, being too small for FBS quarterbacking. Now, since Coach Mac has been here, his OL has become pretty good and the running game has been solid. But, defenses could still load up 9 in the box as the season progressed because Thompson couldn't accurately throw the ball down the field and he wasn't mobile enough to keep the defenses honest. If BB can throw the ball with accuracy, and his mobility can buy him some time, the improvement here should be very telling. Assuming health and eligiility stays the same, the OL and running game should be solid. All we need is for a QB that can throw the ball accurately downfiled to take pressure off the running game.

• Upvote 5

Billy...not a fan of two qb system. I dont have a problem pulling a guy if he is having a really bad day, but only if REAL bad. I personally think you need the continuity. Plus, and you can speak to this directly, cadence is a big thing and two guys will sound different and could have issues with that.

I completely agree with your points, both as a fan and a former center. I personally hope we stick with one guy, but I thought it was interesting to hear Coach Mac say that he would not overlook the possibility of rotating qbs maybe for that first game against Idaho. But yeah, hope we just get one guy.

Also, is Connor 6'6"? Because he sure looks like he might be now.

DT is not the athletic QB so he is then the throwing QB? Ya, because we were all so pleased with his passes last year.

I definitely wasn't pleased with his accuracy last year.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...he could improve over the offseason. We'll find out sometime between the start of spring practice and the Spring Game.

If DT doesn't improve, and he's the starter, then our expectations of Berglund are way too lofty and he would have been exposed during spring practice.

• Upvote 1

I'm always confused when I hear that Dickey hated to pass...and, yet we slobber all over Scott Hall and Johnny Quinn as our best ever QB-WR tandem.

But, people confusing their hindsight with reality is a discussion for another day...

...what we are discussing to today is the absurdity of thinking the success of the 2013 season will be on the QB.

It won't matter if Jesus Christ himself descends to play quarterback for us in 2013 - if we don't have a defensive that can stop the run or defend the pass, we will be having our butts kicked weekly anyway.

People pout and preen on and on about Derek Thompson. Bag on Derek all you want. If the defense doesn't do its job in 2013, this thing ain't getting off the ground no matter what happens on the offensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm always confused when I hear that Dickey hated to pass...and, yet we slobber all over Scott Hall and Johnny Quinn as our best ever QB-WR tandem.

I don't guess I've ever heard anyone suggest that. Ramsey-Shanklin would beat it, as would Maher-Redwine or Maher-Brown. As a tandem, I'd probably give Vizza-Fitzgerald the edge.

And, I'll say more...

...we have a big problem with depth and talent on the defensive line and everyone around Denton - UNT football coaching staff included - seems to be in a fog about it.

True . . . and scary. If one or two of these redshirts aren't ready to come in and make an immediate contribution, we're probably in trouble. And I really hope Boutwell can stay healthy this year.

• Upvote 1

But, people confusing their hindsight with reality is a discussion for another day...

...what we are discussing to today is the absurdity of thinking the success of the 2013 season will be on the QB.

It won't matter if Jesus Christ himself descends to play quarterback for us in 2013 - if we don't have a defensive that can stop the run or defend the pass, we will be having our butts kicked weekly anyway.

People pout and preen on and on about Derek Thompson. Bag on Derek all you want. If the defense doesn't do its job in 2013, this thing ain't getting off the ground no matter what happens on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't think anybody thinks that our success hinges on qb play alone, myself included, but I feel like arguments like these that belittle the quarterback need to be challenged a bit.

I understand that you're tired of hearing all the hooplah surrounding Berglund and if he's going to surpass an incumbent quarterback who has struggled the past two years, but don't let that cloud your view on how important our qb play will be this year.

Our defense needs to improve in order for us to take a step forward, especially the defensive line as you pointed out. But if we are able to gain more yards, keep their offense on the sideline, and score some points, that would greatly help our defense, obviously.

Our defense got us in holes early last year and that needs to change, but often it was because our offense would start with a three-and-out.

We're talking about the importance of one player (quarterback) versus an entire unit (defense) of 11 players. Defense as a unit is vastly important, improvement among our depth and production at defensive line is huge, but the single position in which an upgrade would most directly that would allow this team to make a jump in the wins category is qb.

Our highest scoring output last year was 30 points. Lord forbid we can't win a shoot-out type game this year.

Either way, looking for improvement across our team and competition everywhere as Coach Mac said. Spring will be fun.