UNT betting transfers can boost program

Harry

National signing day, one of the milestones on the college football calendar, has arrived.

The top high school players in the country will sit down and sign national letters of intent today, restocking programs with newcomers in the universities hope they will lead them to success.

In a lot of ways, North Texas will be no different. There are a host of high school players across the state who are set to sign with the Mean Green.

What could be even more important both to the short- and long-term prospects of the program is how UNTs plunge into the secondary market for talent turns out.

Quarterback Brock Berglund (Kansas), wide receiver Darius Terrell (Texas) and running back Reggie Pegram (Purdue) will receive a second chance to tap into their potential after transferring to UNT, while Snow College offensive lineman Justin Manu and Eastern Arizona defensive end Quenton Brown are among four junior college players expected to join the Mean Greens 2013 class.

Those transfers wont be on UNTs roster for four or five years like a lot of the high school players who will sign letters of intent today. What they offer is a quick fix and a big risk for UNT.

If they pan out, UNTs secondary-market players could help the Mean Green snap a string of eight consecutive losing seasons during their short stays at the school.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130206-football-unt-betting-transfers-can-boost-program.ece

I have a really good feeling about both Berglund and Terrell. If they turn out as advertised, it should be good enough for a couple extra wins this fall and a few more butts in the stands.

Terrell was misused as a RB at Texas if I remember correctly. We can really use a big-bodied RZ threat with good hands. While he does not possess top speed, he should be fast enough to hold his own in CUSA. It seems like we have had a lot of dropped passes the last few seasons. His hands will be appreciated.

Terrell is impressive, he's lost weight and looks to be in great shape... He has a chip on his shoulder and seems very driven to succeed here.

I got to visit with him today and several others including Manu, Tucker, Jones, Brown and McKinney... Will share my impressions here later tonight..

Terrell is impressive, he's lost weight and looks to be in great shape... He has a chip on his shoulder and seems very driven to succeed here.

I got to visit with him today and several others including Manu, Tucker, Jones, Brown and McKinney... Will share my impressions here later tonight..

Was YOUR audio cable working???

Seriously, did you get to record any audio with them?

The transfers in this class appear to me to be much stronger than the HS signees. Judging by their looks on the NT web-cast, they have size and hopefully the skill to give NT a boost. Major program transfers are never a sure thing but I like the look of the four NT signed. Most of the time these transfers are players that can't get much playing time were they transferred from and that description fits some of NT's, but there are other factors at play in this class. Berglund to me is more like a freshman than a transfer, he has never really had the opportunity to play anywhere. He is close to a highly recruited hs player. Pegram, I believe would have been competing for the starting job if he had stayed a Purdue. Terrell is the most typical type of transfer, he felt he was not getting the opportunity at UT but the position change to WR make him a little different. Evans with one year to play, is unique and I think he will definitely help NT on special teams.

On the Juco front; this is one of the better looking groups that NT has signed. Jones and Manu were fairly heavily recruited. Brown could be the rush de that NT needs. Loving is a blocking te and will be used. Mckinney looks like a project, but I think the coaching staff thinks he may be very good if he can continue to drop some weight. One of the big problems that NT has had with jucos is getting ones that can qualify academically and stay that way. I think and hope that McCarney may be much better than Dickey and Dodge doing that.

• Upvote 3