LB John Wood (6-5, 205) Whitesboro, TX (OSU transfer)

Harry

He must have been. If he's talking about being ready for the season to start that must mean that he doesn't have to sit out a year as a scholarship player would. Class 3A First Team All-State and had no offers or rating by Rivals? Sounds strange.

I don't know too much about how many 3A players go on to the D1 level but my brother was all state 3A as well this year and so far all he has are a couple offers from D3 schools.

• Upvote 1

He must have been. If he's talking about being ready for the season to start that must mean that he doesn't have to sit out a year as a scholarship player would. Class 3A First Team All-State and had no offers or rating by Rivals? Sounds strange.

Could be that he was thought of as Too Tall Wood. Based on those stats and videos, he could turn out to be something special down the road with some added poundage.

• Upvote 2

Back in the late 60's, my college team as a youth (UH) had a defensive end about the same speed, same height with a little more weight named Jerry Drones, ie, part of their "Mad Dog" defense. He made some All American teams in 1969 as I recall.

So......John Woods as a defensive end possibility?

Nevertheless......Welcome to Mean Green Country, Mr. Woods! We are one dysfunctional family of opinion at times but all of whom wanting one thing back at UNT again..............winning ranked football teams with even more bowl appearances and....bowl wins.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Whitesboro hasn't been a hotbed a talent in the past but Woods has good size & looks got on the videos. We've already got his ex- teammate on the roster in Jordan Gill. Heard that NT has been looking at senior to be RB Collin Kilcrease also.

• Upvote 1

Back in the late 60's, my college team as a youth (UH) had a defensive end about the same speed, same height with a little more weight named Jerry Drones, ie, part of their "Mad Dog" defense. He made some All American teams in 1969 as I recall.

So......John Woods as a defensive end possibility?

Nevertheless......Welcome to Mean Green Country, Mr. Woods! We are one dysfunctional family of opinion at times but all of whom wanting one thing back at UNT again..............winning ranked football teams with even more bowl appearances and....bowl wins.

GMG!

A San Angelo stud, finished his college career at WT then played for the LA Rams.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't look 6'5". Hudl has him listed as 6'0" and Rivals 6'5". From the looks of the video, I would say Hudl is closer to being right considering at Whitesboro he would tower over everyone at 6'5". Either way, welcome to NT. Now go make a difference.

• Upvote 1

I don't know too much about how many 3A players go on to the D1 level but my brother was all state 3A as well this year and so far all he has are a couple offers from D3 schools.

I think that you mean D2 schools. Division III does not award scholarships for athletics.

About the only reasons that I know for not offering a first team all-state player would be size and speed and he is 6-5 and runs a 4.6 forty. This year we offered 3A defensive end/linebacker Sed Ellis of Paris with less credentials and he may be a real find.

The reason could be because he played at Whitesboro. Notoriously bad for years, they're coming to the forefront. I believe that a teammate of Wood received a scholarship from TCU. Edit: My bad. It wasn't Whitesboro but Whitewright where TCU offered last year.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

You can dispute the size and height -- you can question the level of competition. But you can't question he padded up with some outstanding competition at OSU. His film clearly shows he has good speed and a knack for the ball. I also like his attitude -- he seems happy to be here which is nice.

Whitesboro hasn't been a hotbed a talent in the past but Woods has good size & looks got on the videos. We've already got his ex- teammate on the roster in Jordan Gill. Heard that NT has been looking at senior to be RB Collin Kilcrease also.

I saw Collin Kilcrease play last year. Tall and very fast. I saw the Pilot Point game. He scored 3 rushing TDs and had a long TD fumble recovery as a DB. He also had a very long punt as their punter. Could be a RB, DB, or WR and a return guy. If he gets a gap in the open field, he's gone.

• Upvote 1

I saw Collin Kilcrease play last year. Tall and very fast. I saw the Pilot Point game. He scored 3 rushing TDs and had a long TD fumble recovery as a DB. He also had a very long punt as their punter. Could be a RB, DB, or WR and a return guy. If he gets a gap in the open field, he's gone.

I'm starting to like the players being recruited and walking on from Denton and nearby counties. A lot of players and their families will feel quite at home in Denton.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

I found another tidbit of info about him. He was a state nominee for the 2012 All-American Bowl. Okay, he was one of a hundred or so but the only other player on the North Texas squad that was on that list was Boone Feldt. This guy didn't just fall off of a turnip truck.

BTW, I've found more than a dozen references to his being 6-5, 205...from all-district teams, all-state teams, and the Oklahoma State roster. As a junior, he was listed by Texas Football as being 6-0, 221. He had 112 tackles as a junior and 129 as a senior. From Texas Football..."he has a nose for the ball." Why should we want to make him different from something in which he already excels?

• Upvote 1