Pistol?

emmitt01

With the success of San Fran in the NFL and the craze the pistol is creating, does anyone think we should/will see it this season? Not as a predominant scheme (we'll still fall down for 3-4 yard gains) but as a wrinkle. It would seem Berglund would be a good fit, defenses are still a little behind the curve, and we have a pretty good stable of backs. Might add a dimension that gives us a little edge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I just think its funny that y'all really believe a certain formation is going to change much in regards to Ws and Ls. East Bernard won a state title running the slot t, but also would have won running the spread. What is key is getting the jimmies and joes in here.

Edited by unt_rocket09

I just think its funny that y'all really believe a certain formation is going to change much in regards to Ws and Ls. East Bernard won a state title running the slot t, but also would have won running the spread. What is key is getting the jimmies and joes in here.

I think it's funny you imagine things that were not written.

No, the qb is 5 yards. The back is just deeper.

The QB is positioned 2 - 3 yards closer than shotgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/sports/ncaafootball/11nevada.html?_r=1&

I think there might be a little confusion based on the explanation from the first video below (1st minute). He consistently labels the QB placement as "shotgun" position. But if you look at any of the examples, the QB is no more than 4 yards away from snap. I think the analyst is generalizing both into a "not under center" position.

I used to think that the qb was closer in pistol, but I was the center for my high school team and I asked my coach if I had to snap it any different than shotgun when we started running some pistol and he said no.

So I looked it up to see, since I had seen Nevada run it and I thought their qbs were closer up. They might be a little closer but for the most part their heels are at 5 yards, which is what you go by.

Kaepernick's heels look like they are at 5 here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCJeBchzPA

It can be run closer depending on any coach's wrinkle to pistol, but it looks like heels at 5 to me, and that's what we did.