• 2 years later...

My apologies for drudging up an old thread, but I specifically remember this discussion taking place on here when I transferred to UNT and joined this site. So, I searched for it and pulled it back out in order to participate in the stories.

The day has come, and tonight I will be getting my UNT Class Ring, as I graduate in just under four weeks. The time has finally come, 18 years after graduating from high school, I'm going to have my Bachelor's Degree. My wife, parents in-law and I all agreed that the money spent on this ring was going to be money well-spent as a father of two that works full-time and has attended UNT full-time over the last two and a half years to make this happen. Indeed, it's a monument to the amount of hard work I've put into my education since returning to school and my gracious in-laws wanted me to get it so badly that they offered to pay for half of it. 

I'm ecstatic, overjoyed and cannot wait to see this beast tonight when I put it on my hand. Considering my brother-in-law is an Aggie grad, you can bet your butt that I opted for the XL in order to trump him. I went white gold without the antiquing and the emerald atop the star. Yes, there will be pics and there will be beer. Sweet, glorious beer.

GMG

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 6

Don't drop it. My emerald chipped after a drop. Never got around to fixing it because I was back in school getting my Masters and would just be replacing the whole ring. It eventually fell out. Life has gotten in the way and I'm unable to afford an MBA ring two years after graduating. So I proudly wear my ring with an empty North Texas Star every day. You don't want a picture of mine.

I say it every year, but this year I'm getting a new one.

Congratulations!

Check with Josten's.  They should be able to fix it for much less than the cost of a new one.  They are good folks and have fixed many a high school and or college ring.

Congratulations to her! It was a really cool evening. (although, weren't "adult beverages" free in the past?) 

Pics are coming soon of mine. 

Yes, they were....several years ago.  We had to cease giving away beverages as far too many took advantage of the situation and far too many other folks just walking through that had no connection to the Alumni Ring Ceremony event took advantage and stooped by to have a few free ones.  The word had spread about the free beverages around campus and since the event is a free and open event, well, those folks who will take advantage of such situations did so.  True story...too bad, but it happens it seems.  Since making it a cash bar, yet still providing appetizers, cake, etc. the "problems" have magically disappeared regarding the alcohol abuse.  Sorry....some folks just have to ruin a good thing for others.  Personally, I enjoyed the free beer.  But, I enjoyed the Alumni Ring Ceremony even more.  It is always a great time.  Very special, and we have pretty much outgrown the location.  Hopefully, the newly re-opened student union will provide for a bigger space for future Alumni Ring Ceremonies.  Hope so.

Congratulations on receiving your ring....You earned it!

• Upvote 1

The day has come, and tonight I will be getting my UNT Class Ring, as I graduate in just under four weeks. The time has finally come, 18 years after graduating from high school, I'm going to have my Bachelor's Degree. My wife, parents in-law and I all agreed that the money spent on this ring was going to be money well-spent as a father of two that works full-time and has attended UNT full-time over the last two and a half years to make this happen. Indeed, it's a monument to the amount of hard work I've put into my education since returning to school and my gracious in-laws wanted me to get it so badly that they offered to pay for half of it. 

I told my wife the same thing.  It has been 26 years since she graduated HS, and she graduates after spring semester 2016.  9 hours left.  She was afraid she was going to be the oldest ring recipient at that ceremony. 

Not even close, though.  Congrats on getting your degree!

• Upvote 2

I presented the rings to our graduates for a couple of years at the Aumni Ring Ceremony.  I might have even presented some to our GoMeanGreen.com graduates.  I can tell you, it was the most fun I had during my term as Alumni Association president.  The pride seen in not only the graduates, but also in the faces and smiles of the families and friends in attendance was just priceless. This us a great tradition here at UNT.  Anyone nearing graduation and considering the purchase of a class ring should really check this event out.  It is a great tradition, a great event and one long remembered by all who participate.

I also understand that rings cost a lot.  They did in the dark ages when I graduated as well.  I was not able to afford a ring, so seeing the graduates receive their rings was extra special to me, and being part of that ceremony was humbling. You freshmen, sophomores and juniors out there, start a little savings plan on the side for the purchase of a class ring.  You will be glad you did for many many years.  I wish I had had the foresight to do just that when I was an undergrad.

As to age...heck, that doesn't matter.  In fact, it is not "when" one graduates, it is "if" one graduates.  Some of the loudest and longest cheers and applause during the ring ceremony happens when a more "mature" soon-to-be grad walks across that stage to accept their ring. These rings are earned, they are not given.  It is, indeed, a great Mean Green Alumni event.

• Upvote 2

As promised, here are a few pics of it . . .

The very first one I took that night, via cell phone . . .

ClassRing1.jpg

Then, I took this one that night after I got home . . .

ClassRing2.jpg

And finally, a pic that was generously taken for me by a professional photographer friend of mine . . .

ClassRing3.jpg

Caw, baby!! GMG

• Upvote 3

Very cool!

655ae097-b59c-4218-af91-7a1ded6e6579_zps

That's a really nice-looking ring, too! I debated the thought of the white spinel, but ultimately went with the emerald because I wanted some green. A few of the other recipients and I were looking at each others' designs and loved what we saw. But as with your bride's and mine, I still favor the original design that has all of the traditional trademarks of our ring. Just awesome.

• Upvote 1