Breaking news — UNT lands Jermaine Antoine

Harry

Louisiana athlete Jermaine Antoine has committed to UNT.

Antoine, a nationally ranked athlete with offers from several other FBS schools, confirmed early Wednesday afternoon that he had ended his recruiting process and will sign with UNT on Feb. 6.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/01/breaking-news-unt-lands-jermaine-antoine.html/

I'd be shocked if they can flip Smart or if he even visits based on the fact he's committed to his home state team...obviously if he visits they have a shot and would offer him..

I think Woods is another flip they would take... so he's certainly at the top of the list...

I just can't see Dean pass up Arkansas if he indeed has a solid offer...it could be tentative...

Unfortunately, Tebo is in a waiting game. If they do run out of ships I suppose if he wants to go D-I they might try to grey shirt him.

Until I see Warner healthy(twice torn ACL) and on the field against Idaho, i wouldn't rely on him.

Plus we haven't heard of anything since he got arrested for theft.

Warner is in the offseason program and receiving good marks from Wentrich -- I am much more optimistic of his return based on that.

Until I see Warner healthy(twice torn ACL) and on the field against Idaho, i wouldn't rely on him.

Plus we haven't heard of anything since he got arrested for theft.

I think Warner moves to safety personally, but it looks like we have a logjam at defensive back. Hopefully he gets his act together.

Regardless of Warner's status, we return both cornerbacks (one of which was 2nd team all conference) and some key back ups. Also we added a juco all-American in James Jones and arguably our top recruit in Chad Davis, both to play cornerback.

I think Coach Mac and crew will have a better idea of where they want Antoine after spring practice is over. A lot is set to play out, but Mac said he wanted to add these athlete type players to this class and this is a prime example why.

Either way Antoine is a solid pickup.

• Upvote 3

So that leaves us down to our last scholarship......who will it be?

Smart DL (soft Tulane, Visits UNT this weekend)

Tebo DL (wants to commit, visited UNT last weekend)

Dean DB (Visiting Arkansas this weekend)

Woods LB (Visiting UNT this weekend)

We really need a DT but I think Woods will be a stud.

• Upvote 1

So that leaves us down to our last scholarship......who will it be?

Smart DL (soft Tulane, Visits UNT this weekend)

Tebo DL (wants to commit, visited UNT last weekend)

Dean DB (Visiting Arkansas this weekend)

Woods LB (Visiting UNT this weekend)

25 is fluid...you can always find room for a quality player. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 of the above list end up here, with either one of them or one of our current commits going the gray-shirt route.

wardly,

I'm with you. I think we should find room for Myron Turner...if for no other reason than to have Coach Mathis increase his goodwill to North Texas from that DeSoto pipeline

for those of you who don't know Turner or his situation:

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/after-db-myron-turners-offer-is-pulled-by-washington-state-claude-mathis-says-mike-leach-is-no-longer-welcome-at-desoto.html/

• Upvote 3

I will say this -- if you look at Jermaine's video - it will be very hard to keep the ball out of his hands. He is so good in the open field it will force defenses to be honest... Tremendous pickup for Coach Gaines! GMG!

I will say this -- if you look at Jermaine's video - it will be very hard to keep the ball out of his hands. He is so good in the open field it will force defenses to be honest... Tremendous pickup for Coach Gaines! GMG!

If he has hands put him in the slot...He looks really quick!

wardly,

I'm with you. I think we should find room for Myron Turner...if for no other reason than to have Coach Mathis increase his goodwill to North Texas from that DeSoto pipeline

for those of you who don't know Turner or his situation:

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/after-db-myron-turners-offer-is-pulled-by-washington-state-claude-mathis-says-mike-leach-is-no-longer-welcome-at-desoto.html/

This might be another great opportunity to offer a greyshirt and have him take a few classes this fall and enroll full time in January. It would show goodwill on our part and allow us to pick up an excellent player, while building depth in next year's class.

Have him sign a letter of intent (we can sign up to 28) with the understanding that he has first shot if a signee ends up not qualifying or showing up in the fall. If all spots end up filled, he gets a guaranteed greyshirt. We get to help a local kid out of a jam and spread some goodwill with a top program. In the end we both get something from the deal. Win/Win.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

That's what I'm thinking. Plus with the last few classes and then this years class it seems we keep getting the best athletes and plugging them in at CB.

• Upvote 1