TCU: Let's Play North Texas

Harry

Why should we play North Texas, though?: North Texas is an interesting university to arrange a series with, because although we have played them a number of times in the past we've never shared a conference with the Mean Green. Although it wouldn't have the appeal to the alumni that games against Rice/SMU/Houston and the like, it does have a few perks to it, not the least of it being an easy road trip for fans if the frogs make the trip up to Denton. UNT is located quite near a number of regular high school football powerhouses, and being in the north Texas area is certainly good for business for the frogs as we try to put a cap on the southern Texas teams who try to come up to the metroplex and take our local talent. What else is nice about playing North Texas though is that we'd almost certainly beat them- always a great start when you're scheduling, but they also have the perk of being an actual FBS level school. I don't think any of us are particular fans of seeing the body bag FCS teams come in and get a beating and a paycheck, so playing teams like UNT is a best of both worlds situation. And to continue the discussion of last week- UNT is the best jazz school in the nation and their band is fantastic. They don't really do much marching, but just standing there and playing they can put on one heck of a show. A game that helps recruiting, gets us a likely win against an FBS level school and provides decent halftime entertainment? Sounds pretty good to me, so Let's Play UNT!

Read more: http://www.frogsowar.com/2013/1/20/3893222/frog-abroad-lets-play-the-university-of-north-texas

Good thing I found this article, I ran out of toilet paper.

TCU was a nice story a couple years ago, now they are just annoying as hell.

It would be good to schedule but TCU won't because they don't gain much from it.

A loss to the "medium size" UNT would really hurt the recruiting and "prestige" of the almighty TCU

I thought that the article was almost decent considering it came from a fan. I'm pretty sure that their coaching staff would never say anything like that for public consumption.

Face it, TCU could probably take 95-100% of any recruits that we have if they wanted. We should almost certainly be a win for them but the element of uncertainty should widen by the time we played. There are few guaranteed wins among FBS schools and this would be no exception but if they should lose it would be to a FBS rival. It would be less of a risk than they've taken playing SMU lately.

Beyond that, the game should be a moneymaker for each university with a sellout at Apogee and maybe even the same at Amon Carter. I say bring it on.

Again, I feel the need to remind everyone that even if both administrations felt compelled right now to start a home and home, UNT would not be in a position to start the series until 2018 and not get a home game until 2019 or 2020 thanks to gawdawful scheduling by the A.D. (with the crowning blow being a 2-0 series with Iowa.)

Threads like this are nothing but wishful thinking.

• Downvote 3

Again, I feel the need to remind everyone that even if both administrations felt compelled right now to start a home and home, UNT would not be in a position to start the series until 2018 and not get a home game until 2019 or 2020 thanks to gawdawful scheduling by the A.D. (with the crowning blow being a 2-0 series with Iowa.)

Yawn. All contracts can be can be altered or opted out of. There are consequences to doing so, but very difintion of a contract means their is an exit clause. I also think in this world of college sports chat room talk it is nice to seeing fanbase being civil towards each other.

• Upvote 1

Yawn. All contracts can be can be altered or opted out of. There are consequences to doing so, but very difintion of a contract means their is an exit clause. I also think in this world of college sports chat room talk it is nice to seeing fanbase being civil towards each other.

Only nice because they view us as no threat, whatsoever.

There is a big difference betrween the TCU fan and the SMU fan, though. I think that has a lot to do with the cities in which both universities are located.

It is financially irresponsible for UNT, SMU,and TCU (as well UTA in basketball) not to play each other on an annual round robin basis. SMU's attendance numbers are pathetic (and likely to get worse), while TCU's aren't that great for the success they have had.

If the writer had done his research, he would not only have discovered that we are, in fact, a quite large public university, but that our first intercollegiate football game was against TCU. Whatever those schools decide to do with their programs, however, I think our future looks encouraging with or without them.

AD's know when to schedule North Texas and there was a period of about 30 plus years when none of them would schedule their Southwest area schools to play us. Those schools did beef up their all time North Texas football series "W's" column when they knew we were as harmless as a pussy cat which has been most recently. :(

Would you as an opposing Athletic Director have scheduled UNT when it had Time All American Abner Haynes (the 50's); or the Mean Joe Greene Era (the 60's); and then during the Fry Era which was most of the 70's? Well, you probably would not have and many schools we would have really preferred to have had on our football schedules back then didn't either. They all know who they are, too, and I'd bet some of their school's alums are reading this very thread. . :whistling1:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

You can't spell douche bag without TCU.

Take it from me (a guy who went to school there) there are douche bags all over that place. It is sickening... Still there are some great folks and the administration is amazing! If you have any issues as a student they are fixed in minutes or at the most a couple of days. I wish I could say the same about the administration at UNT. Still I love UNT.

I've been on TCU's campus twice - once for a UNT game and once for leadership conference. I must have been lucky and met all of the nice ones! Everybody from fans to student leaders to admin and staff were very nice and welcoming, which is more than I can say for a lot of our opponents' fans as well as the atmosphere at other schools for conferences (aTm, geez).

But as far as what's actually relevant here - playing TCU - I've always thought it was smart to play the other Metro teams. Easy draw for great crowds, strong possibility of a TV game depending upon the schedule (especially now with TCU in the Big 12), and aside from the numbers in the crowd, it's a great chance to grab your erstwhile alums who won't even make the short trip to Denton if they are among the many in the mid-cities area.

• Upvote 1

Isn't our schedule pretty much set for a while? This uninformed author doesn't take into account that we probably don't want to play them. There wouldn't be much in it for us. We already have SMU on the books for a local game.

Medium sized school is funny too. UNT is a tiny tiny university...