ACC done for?

10Eagle10

this guy seems to think so

https://twitter.com/GSwaim

I don't think he's gotten too much right during realignment, but he seems to think the Big 12 leads the way by taking 6 from the ACC.

- what's the trickle down effect for us?

- didn't Bowlsby recently say the Big 12 liked 10? and that they made the most money per school out of any conference? seems crazy to want to be sharing that money with others who obviously don't command that price in the ACC right now

I'm not sure how you make a divisional Big XII work now that WVU is in. If you go to 16 raiding the ACC you have 7 eastern time zone schools and someone in the central gets stuck on an island (Iowa St?)

Go to 14 and you have five eastern schools and two central have to go over and you likely split up the Kansas, K-State, Iowa State group.

Or maybe you do some sort of North/South thing with the four Texas schools lining up with three or four eastern.

I'm not convinced 16 is the number. You can't preserve cross-division rivalries. In the SEC that matters you lose Bama-Tenn, Auburn-UGA, LSU-Florida and you lose TV value and fan interest.

If Big XII did blast some schools out of the ACC, there will be bargains left that the SEC and Big 10 can't turn down so I guess if its true we'd find out quickly if 16 can be managed.

I'm not sure how you make a divisional Big XII work now that WVU is in. If you go to 16 raiding the ACC you have 7 eastern time zone schools and someone in the central gets stuck on an island (Iowa St?)

Go to 14 and you have five eastern schools and two central have to go over and you likely split up the Kansas, K-State, Iowa State group.

Or maybe you do some sort of North/South thing with the four Texas schools lining up with three or four eastern.

I'm not convinced 16 is the number. You can't preserve cross-division rivalries. In the SEC that matters you lose Bama-Tenn, Auburn-UGA, LSU-Florida and you lose TV value and fan interest.

If Big XII did blast some schools out of the ACC, there will be bargains left that the SEC and Big 10 can't turn down so I guess if its true we'd find out quickly if 16 can be managed.

You know what schools value more than rivalries? Money

The days of Texas dictating to the rest of the conference may soon be over. They're already on thin ice over the LHN. They ran off Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Colorado with their greed. Oklahoma almost bailed on them but they didn't have a good choice of anyplace to go.

I believe that the Big XII goes to either 12 or 14. I think that they go for Virginia Tech as a partner for West Virginia. Then they go for SMU (just seeing if you were paying attention). I believe that the 12th attempt will be Florida State. If they get those two they are likely done for awhile. They may have to promise FSU a partner in the near future. If they don't get those two then they may add four with market oomph.

TV contracts pertain to total conference. If you have a ten team conference you won't get as much as a 14 member conference. After UT and OU the glitz and glamor fades as does market size except for TCU. They might be smart to consider Houston in a few years. Miami and Clemson could also be in the picture.

The Big XII might have trouble getting any of the top basketball schools. I believe that the ACC fills their next two spots with Cincinnati and Connecticut; both strong in basketball. The ACC will endure because of their basketball schools which just happen to play decent football.

• Upvote 2

You know what schools value more than rivalries? Money

Alabama-Tenn, Auburn-UGA, LSU-Florida are good TV draws, generally featured on CBS, those games drive ticket sales. Replacing Bama-Tenn with Bama-Mizzou and Tenn-NC State isn't good for TV value and isn't good for selling season ticket packages.

The days of Texas dictating to the rest of the conference may soon be over. They're already on thin ice over the LHN. They ran off Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Colorado with their greed. Oklahoma almost bailed on them but they didn't have a good choice of anyplace to go.

I believe that the Big XII goes to either 12 or 14. I think that they go for Virginia Tech as a partner for West Virginia. Then they go for SMU (just seeing if you were paying attention). I believe that the 12th attempt will be Florida State. If they get those two they are likely done for awhile. They may have to promise FSU a partner in the near future. If they don't get those two then they may add four with market oomph.

TV contracts pertain to total conference. If you have a ten team conference you won't get as much as a 14 member conference. After UT and OU the glitz and glamor fades as does market size except for TCU. They might be smart to consider Houston in a few years. Miami and Clemson could also be in the picture.

The Big XII might have trouble getting any of the top basketball schools. I believe that the ACC fills their next two spots with Cincinnati and Connecticut; both strong in basketball. The ACC will endure because of their basketball schools which just happen to play decent football.

Texas makes a fun villian but I think their role is over-stated. Nebraska always wanted the Big 8 to be more like the Big 10 in how it was run and they were hated by by the other 7. Nebraska believed UT and TAMU would be on the same page with them and that never happened, instead the members lined up with Texas on most votes. Nebraska's attempts to adopt Big 10 style academic standards and recruiting practices were routinely voted down.

When Nebraska and Colorado bailed the league appeared doomed to collapse and Texas negotiated the deal to go to the Pac-12 and take Texas Tech, TAMU, OU, and Ok St. It was TAMU who balked and started talking SEC.

Letting everyone sell their own third tier was then approved to get the money up. Everyone thought LHN would be worth $5 million to $7.5 million a year. Instead ESPN offered $15 million and ESPN squeezed the league hard to get better games to get in a position to make a profit on their over-bid.

I think it'd be hilarious if the Big XII were to get Va.Tech and UVA or Va. Tech and Pitt. The ACC would be like Willie in Ghost getting carried off to hell.

Texas makes a fun villian but I think their role is over-stated. Nebraska always wanted the Big 8 to be more like the Big 10 in how it was run and they were hated by by the other 7. Nebraska believed UT and TAMU would be on the same page with them and that never happened, instead the members lined up with Texas on most votes. Nebraska's attempts to adopt Big 10 style academic standards and recruiting practices were routinely voted down.

When Nebraska and Colorado bailed the league appeared doomed to collapse and Texas negotiated the deal to go to the Pac-12 and take Texas Tech, TAMU, OU, and Ok St. It was TAMU who balked and started talking SEC.

Letting everyone sell their own third tier was then approved to get the money up. Everyone thought LHN would be worth $5 million to $7.5 million a year. Instead ESPN offered $15 million and ESPN squeezed the league hard to get better games to get in a position to make a profit on their over-bid.

I think it'd be hilarious if the Big XII were to get Va.Tech and UVA or Va. Tech and Pitt. The ACC would be like Willie in Ghost getting carried off to hell.

you have this totally and completely wrong

it was Nebraska and Nebraska alone that wanted to keep allowing partial qualifiers and the other 11 members of the Big 12 wanted nothing to do with that anymore so it was 11-1 against allowing partial qualifiers

also Nebraska was always 100% in favor of uneven revenue sharing as was TAMU and in fact up to their last years in the Big 12 TAMU was actually a bigger beneficiary of uneven revenue sharing that UT was and when the Big 12 started Nebraska was a bigger beneficiary of uneven revenue than UT and anyone else.....it was only in the later years that NU was not getting more revenue because of uneven sharing

NU was always mad at UT over the partial qualifiers, but none of the other Big 8 members of SWC members wanted it any longer

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I honestly understand none of this. OK. 12-team, 2-division conferences gets you a conference championship game because when the SEC wags its member around, it gets what it wants.

Beyond that, it's not even a conference. You can have so-called conference mates in a 16-team conference that you might night even play but once every several years. How is that a conference? It's really just two conferences, under the guise of being divisions, whose champions play each other in a pre-bowl circlejerk every year because television money. Then Pete Carroll runs away to Seattle before the inevitable NCAA slap on the wrist comes down on players who show up years later. I put the over/under on Saban's Houdini-like escape before sanctions at 4 years.

Whatevs. Don't care what the Big/Pac 10/12 SEC do...at all. Nor do I aspire to be part of them with UNT.