McMurphy: MTSU and FAU will join CUSA this Fall

Harry

Here would be my wish list for our schedule:

Away: Tulane (New Orleans), UTSA (San Antonio), Rice (Houston)

Home: UTEP, La. Tech, Tulsa

For cross divisional I would love to play East Carolina and Marshall/UAB since we have not played them in recent era and ECU will leave -- for record purposes you probably want FAU and FIU which aren't bad destination cities either.

I was kind of looking forward to one season without them. Oh well, as you alluded to, hopefully they won't both be on our home schedule.

I'd much rather see MT than either of the FL schools. MT, in my eyes, is probably the closest thing to a 'rival' I've seen since I've been associated with UNT. Some great close games, and some blowouts (for both schools). I'm not upset that they are joining us in C-USA.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Go explain to all the coaches in the east side of the conference that we are willingly excluding a top 3 recruiting state and one of the top TV broadcast markets. Several teams from the east have at least 30% of their roster from FL. No games in state and that star diminishes. Go ask Neb and Col about their state of Texas recruiting...

Adding both together was a necessity for the travel of secondary sports so teams can do the FL two-step for away trips.

I agree with your response. We, in Texas, scratch our head at the Florida schools and write them off an meaningless. The east coast teams go on and on about how they view the Florida schools as much more valuable that UNT. It's just an east coast thing. As long as we have 14 team in the conference, we only have to make one trip a year to the east so no big deal.

If we could only keep the conference as it is currently constructed for next year...

• Upvote 2

Go explain to all the coaches in the east side of the conference that we are willingly excluding a top 3 recruiting state and one of the top TV broadcast markets. Several teams from the east have at least 30% of their roster from FL. No games in state and that star diminishes. Go ask Neb and Col about their state of Texas recruiting...

Adding both together was a necessity for the travel of secondary sports so teams can do the FL two-step for away trips.

The other point I would say is people think FIU and FAU are in the same TV market -- no the are both uniquely top TV markets! I didn't realize this until recently myself. We have already seen FIU flex their muscle and whip UCF and Louisville a year ago...both will be very good programs quickly with the talent down there. Also -- I believe their fan support will build as they win.

There are so many worse places in the world to travel to for an away game than to either hit South Beach for the weekend at FIU or spend the weekend in Fort Lauderdale when at FAU. Grab some Cuban food, play in the sand and root the Mean Green onto another win in Florida - I like our trips out there. Regardless of who we play I recommend SWA out of Love Field to Fort Lauderdale. I always find reasonable flights.

GMG

I really don't understand bringing FIU and FAU into this.

Three reasons CUSA made this move.

1. CUSA was working to buffer against an early exit by Tulane & ECU. If those two left early CUSA would be at 10; wouldn't be able to have a championship game and would have to completely atler it's schedule for a single division set up for one year. CUSA just worked out its insurance policy faster than the Big East's expansion plans.

2. Adding FAU & MTSU early lets CUSA move into its 7-team divisional format a year early. The conference had already done the math and figured out how to make it work, so why wait.

3. Adding these teams a year early let's CUSA count the market share/tv/attenandce these schools bring a year early towards any future deals. Basically they are able to show the value of the new CUSA now, with less questions about what is the value of adding 4 teams (FAU, MTSU, ODU, UNC-C) versus replacing Tulane & ECU with start ups UNC-C & ODU.

4. Gets FAU & MTSU out of the SBC before the SBC finds away to raise the exit fees on the departing teams.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 3

Three reasons CUSA made this move.

1. CUSA was working to buffer against an early exit by Tulane & ECU. If those two left early CUSA would be at 10; wouldn't be able to have a championship game and would have to completely atler it's schedule for a single division set up for one year. CUSA just worked out its insurance policy faster than the Big East's expansion plans.

2. Adding FAU & MTSU early lets CUSA move into its 7-team divisional format a year early. The conference had already done the math and figured out how to make it work, so why wait.

3. Adding these teams a year early let's CUSA count the market share/tv/attenandce these schools bring a year early towards any future deals. Basically they are able to show the value of the new CUSA now, with less questions about what is the value of adding 4 teams (FAU, MTSU, ODU, UNC-C) versus replacing Tulane & ECU with start ups UNC-C & ODU.

4. Gets FAU & MTSU out of the SBC before the SBC finds away to raise the exit fees on the departing teams.

Good analysis shaft.

That should mean that both La Tech and Tulane should be in the West meaning that we should play Tulane this next season for the first time. I was afraid that they might leave before we had a chance to play them. I'd just as soon have a shot at East Carolina as well. We've played all other eastern members except Marshall and UAB lately and should have more chances at the rest.

After Tulane leaves that should move USM to the western division.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of the other "I want" issues that I agree/disagree with...

1) Shaft and Harry are dead-on. This was an extremely rational move in nearly every sense.

2) As long as I'm stuck out here, any away game at UTEP gives us a chance at a long weekend to try to catch you guys, and that would be great. Especially if we won...but either way, it's still "in-state", so there will be some of you there tailgating, right?