I am down in Miami for the FIU-FIU hoops swing, but I did make a couple of calls on the recruiting front and talked with Omar Tebo, a defensive tackle from Liberty, Texas.

Tebo is coming to UNT on an official visit this weekend and said he would like to commit to UNT.

The issue is he is a little farther down on UNT’s wish list at this point. Tebo indicated that there is another lineman who is considering an offer from Tulane in front of him on UNT’s recruiting board.

UNT only has three scholarships left and several players still on the board.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/01/thursday-afternoon-recruiting-update-tebo-ing.html/

I'd hope that North Texas signs Tebo. I think that we make wiggle room for Tanzel Smart if he is willing and still available.

I don't understand limiting the recruits to 20. We have no penalties from the 25 allowable. Signing 25 would still leave us under the 85 maximum enough that we could award scholarships to at least five walkons. My thinking was for a cushion in case a 3* fell to us on signing day.

• Upvote 1

I'd hope that North Texas signs Tebo. I think that we make wiggle room for Tanzel Smart if he is willing and still available.

I don't understand limiting the recruits to 20. We have no penalties from the 25 allowable. Signing 25 would still leave us under the 85 maximum enough that we could award scholarships to at least five walkons. My thinking was for a cushion in case a 3* fell to us on signing day.

I'm not sure why only 20 either. We have 3 transfers and 4 mid term Jucos. We only signed 21 last season so 4 of the 7 can roll back to last seasson so we should be able to take 25 minus the remaining 3 mid terms for a class of at least 22. Now we don't know about who all for sure has left and of any 5th year senior transfers or walk-ons receiving scholarships

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure why only 20 either. We have 3 transfers and 4 mid term Jucos. We only signed 21 last season so 4 of the 7 can roll back to last seasson so we should be able to take 25 minus the remaining 3 mid terms for a class of at least 22. Now we don't know about who all for sure has left and of any 5th year senior transfers or walk-ons receiving scholarships

We signed the full 25 last year. Cam Feldt and Marcus Trice were included in the 2012 class. Also, don't forget to count Christian Hines and Andrew Tucker (our grayshirts) in the 2013 class.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/249/class/2012

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Upon further review we may be much closer to the 85 maximum than I originally thought. It's hard to know how many walkons have received scholarships. I know that the figure is very close even if the three not listed on the training roster have left the program.

We still need defensive tackles. We only have seven...one is a transfer walkon, one is very undersized (240-250 range), two are seniors, and one is a defensive end playing tackle. That leaves two redshirt freshmen with the size to be an every down lineman. Only three have the true size to face 300 lb+ blockers across the line from them and one of those is a senior. You can see the shape that we'll be in after next year if we take no defensive tackles this year. It's our greatest need.

• Upvote 1

Upon further review we may be much closer to the 85 maximum than I originally thought. It's hard to know how many walkons have received scholarships. I know that the figure is very close even if the three not listed on the training roster have left the program.

We still need defensive tackles. We only have seven...one is a transfer walkon, one is very undersized (240-250 range), two are seniors, and one is a defensive end playing tackle. That leaves two redshirt freshmen with the size to be an every down lineman. Only three have the true size to face 300 lb+ blockers across the line from them and one of those is a senior. You can see the shape that we'll be in after next year if we take no defensive tackles this year. It's our greatest need.

And one of those redshift linemen isn't getting it done according to his workout report

Are you considering how many defensive ends they are moving to tackle like Watson, Orr etc?? Or are you using roster? Roster is dated.

• 3 weeks later...