If Tulsa Leaves who replaces them?

Harry

I give Tx St. a slight nod over LaLa. La La is one of my favorite out of town tailgating experiences. But even when we were both 1-aa, Tx. St. brought a lot of fans to Fouts.....especially when it was an important game. They would also provide some much needed PAGEANTRY and showmanship at Apogee, if they regularly brought their "Strutters" to the game.

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2012/11/18/GEN_1118121954.aspx

Their promo video

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Our students and alumni need schools they can relate to and have heard of.

Texas State is one of them.

It gives us another in-state rival which we DESPERATLY need.

LaLa does nothing for us and just another hyphen school I have to spend 5 mins explaining who they are.

No, our conference needs teams that excel in all areas of their athletic dept. that will raise the level of competition. WKU fits that bill. C-USA already has enough D-1 moveups. No need to add more.

Now, if you're advocating kicking UTSA, ODU, or UNC-C out in order to add TX St., then I'm all for that!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Texas State is appealing in that we would go from Zero to 4 Texas opponents. Basically, you would have at minimum 9-10 games a season you would play in the state of Texas....in 2014 with SMU and Tejas it could be 12!!! every single year your profile becomes more established in the primary state for students and fund raising.

UTSA isn't going to like that of course but they only have one vote...and having an annual rivalry game with Texas State would be a good thing for them...

You could have a Texas trophy every year....bus events around the games -- the concept is interesting to say the least.

I don't know how I feel about them as a conference mate, but I've been impressed with how quickly people have grown accustomed to the name "Texas State." Everybody knows who/where Texas State is and I've heard no one still referring to them as STSU. 2 decades later there are still those that call us NTSU.

• Upvote 4

It seems like the writing is already on the wall for the next membe to be WKU. They provide solid basketball, improving football, and good other oly sports. TxSt, ArkSt, and ULL would meet with opposition from a basketball standpoint and some would meet with opposition from a geography standpoint. Selfishly, I think I would prefer TxSt, but I voted WKU because I think they will be the next added if someone leaves.

TxSt, ArkSt, and ULL all have their pluses and minuses. If the basketball schools have their way, NMSU could be a sleeper.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

It seems like the writing is already on the wall for the next membe to be WKU. They provide solid basketball, improving football, and good other oly sports. TxSt, ArkSt, and ULL would meet with opposition from a basketball standpoint and some would meet with opposition from a geography standpoint. Selfishly, I think I would prefer TxSt, but I voted WKU because I think they will be the next added if someone leaves.

TxSt, ArkSt, and ULL all have their pluses and minuses. If the basketball schools have their way, NMSU could be a sleeper.

You might be right about how improved the programs are at WKU, but to the general student population at NT, the Alumni of NT, and the general population in the Denton area, they are WK-WHO?

We need a RIVALRY that translates into BUTTS IN THE SEATS. WKU, and sadly ASU will not provide that.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

You might be right about how improved the programs are at WKU, but to the general student population at NT, the Alumni of NT, and the general population in the Denton area, they are WK-WHO?

I can't agree more, that is why personally I prefer TxSt. It may not be the right thing to do for various other reasons, but I care more about seeing us beat them than WKU or anyone else that CUSA could potentially add. Unfortunately, I think WKU is the current frontrunner. If this ends up being the case and they slide UAB over to the west division, it still does nothing for me. USM is about as far east as I am interest in sharing a division with.

• Upvote 2

CUSA has 4 Texas schools,and doesn't want any more.Even if SDSU goes to Big East and UTEP takes their place in MWC, Texas State has no chance of getting in.[ I am assuming that Tulas is gone]. As of now,the CUSA/EAST is a joke. WKU would be a chance to shore it up,but CUSA should move fast as if I am WK and Marshall the MAC looks pretty good right now.Choice #2 is A-State, as they are in a good geographical location as regards MTSU,So.Miss.,and La. Tech. 3rd and last choice is ULL. How many schools from Louisiana do you really need? In fact,how many schools does CUSA want or need,which is not the same thing.12?14?16? The changes mentioned is this and other posts should take shape on or by 1/31,which is when SDSU's get out of jail card expires.

• Upvote 2

We need a RIVALRY that translates into BUTTS IN THE SEATS. WKU, and sadly ASU will not provide that.

Wait, I thought UTSA was supposed to accomplish this!!!!

And when you say: BUTTS IN THE SEATS, I hope you mean UNT Students/alumni/fans, and not the other teams' fans...

• Upvote 2

Either Arkansas State or ULL. It's really a moot point. The thrill of "moving up" to CUSA is gone, especially if Tulsa leaves, and I suspect UTEP will too. Actually, the thrill left when Tulane and ECU packed their bags.

Exactly, CUSA was a step up and that has disappeared with the changes no matter what happens. Being left in the Belt would be substantiably worse but any significant separation from the bottom of fb division football has vanished.

If having to chose another school, I would give WKU a slight nod. I think they have the best overall program and probably the most potential of the listed programs.

• Upvote 1

I still think leaving the Belt will help our image even if a few former Belt teams are making the move with us. The more years that the Belt is in the rear view mirror the better. If we take care of business it will make the next move that much easier. If we can build some success on the field along with getting the J.D. and M.D. program established and hopefully eventually consolidate operations under the same name and administrative umbrella, I believe the perception of UNT could change quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

I am perfectly ok with WKU. This decision should be about who can bring the most "prestige" to the conference.

Of the teams listed in this poll only WKU has a chance to make anyone pay any attention. I'm talking on a regional and national level. When WKU goes several rounds deep in the NCAA tournament people notice them...even if only because, to them, they're an oddity. Every time WKU makes the tournament one of the CBS guys will rattle off their resume to the national tv audience. Even if the people tuned in to see Duke, they'll get a good dose of the pedigree of their opponent WKU.

For the most part football fans are ROCK STUPID outside of their knowledge that Alabama, Texas, OU, and the like are good (or they're assumed to be year in and year out). Likewise, to their knowledge, any team with a CUSA patch is superior to a team with a Sun Belt patch. People who know me ask me all the time "aren't you guys going to CUSA next year?" When I engage them in conversation about the movement of teams between conferences their response is, without fail, "I didn't even know about that." What they do know, because they're from Texas, is that Texas State has been for as long as they can remember a 1AA team. They're a catch 22. Outside of the southwest nobody knows or cares about them...so adding them isn't such a "shot" to the league's prestige. Inside of Texas though, where we hope to see the bump in interest, everyone knows they've played "small time" football this whole time...they look like a desperation add. And they don't get that national recognition bump by being in the NCAA tournament like WKU.

And, regardless of who we add, if we BEAT them we will be just fine. Our fanbase is long dormant and just looking for a reason to get interested. I am absolutely sure of this because we averaged ugly numbers (like 15,000 or so) until after the bowl run. We have actually maintained or increased this number through eight absolutely abysmal, horrible, unmistakably rancid years. The stadium is in place. The coaches (salary wise) are in place. 10-2 against, as some of you like to call it, Sun Belt 2.0 will still lead to big time crowds. We're in DFW folks. DFW will support anything/anyone that wins because it's fashionable, not because they have a clue about what's going on.

• Upvote 4

Good points Emmitt -- It appears that Tulsa may be leaving in 2014 -- CBS' Brett McMurphy seems to think that Tulsa is being targeted:

In 2014, East Carolina and Tulane will join the Big East to replace Louisville and Rutgers, who are leaving for the ACC and Big Ten, respectively. Aresco said it was "unlikely" ECU or Tulane would join the Big East in 2013. ECU, which was originally sought as a football-only member, is now expected to become an all sports member in 2014.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8850122/san-diego-state-reinstated-mountain-west-conference-member

And when you say: BUTTS IN THE SEATS, I hope you mean UNT Students/alumni/fans, and not the other teams' fans...

When I say butts in the seats, I mean everyone, but Tx. St. has demonstrated in the past that they can pretty much fill up the visitors section.

I don't know how UTSA's fans will travel, but I think it would be save to speculate that they will bring a hell of a lot more fans to Apogee than WKU. AND, Tx St. has already demonstrated that they will bring a lot of fans.

Either Arkansas State or ULL. It's really a moot point. The thrill of "moving up" to CUSA is gone, especially if Tulsa leaves, and I suspect UTEP will too. Actually, the thrill left when Tulane and ECU packed their bags.

UTEP has no place to go as MWC plans to stay at 12 schools. If that number changes,which based upon MWC's history it won't,then The Miners would get a look.CUSA needs strength in the East at this point,hence my vote for W.K.

I am perfectly ok with WKU. This decision should be about who can bring the most "prestige" to the conference.

Of the teams listed in this poll only WKU has a chance to make anyone pay any attention. I'm talking on a regional and national level. When WKU goes several rounds deep in the NCAA tournament people notice them...even if only because, to them, they're an oddity. Every time WKU makes the tournament one of the CBS guys will rattle off their resume to the national tv audience. Even if the people tuned in to see Duke, they'll get a good dose of the pedigree of their opponent WKU.

For the most part football fans are ROCK STUPID outside of their knowledge that Alabama, Texas, OU, and the like are good (or they're assumed to be year in and year out). Likewise, to their knowledge, any team with a CUSA patch is superior to a team with a Sun Belt patch. People who know me ask me all the time "aren't you guys going to CUSA next year?" When I engage them in conversation about the movement of teams between conferences their response is, without fail, "I didn't even know about that." What they do know, because they're from Texas, is that Texas State has been for as long as they can remember a 1AA team. They're a catch 22. Outside of the southwest nobody knows or cares about them...so adding them isn't such a "shot" to the league's prestige. Inside of Texas though, where we hope to see the bump in interest, everyone knows they've played "small time" football this whole time...they look like a desperation add. And they don't get that national recognition bump by being in the NCAA tournament like WKU.

And, regardless of who we add, if we BEAT them we will be just fine. Our fanbase is long dormant and just looking for a reason to get interested. I am absolutely sure of this because we averaged ugly numbers (like 15,000 or so) until after the bowl run. We have actually maintained or increased this number through eight absolutely abysmal, horrible, unmistakably rancid years. The stadium is in place. The coaches (salary wise) are in place. 10-2 against, as some of you like to call it, Sun Belt 2.0 will still lead to big time crowds. We're in DFW folks. DFW will support anything/anyone that wins because it's fashionable, not because they have a clue about what's going on.

:thumbsu: That just about sizes it up.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And just where does UTEP go now? Mountain West is filling up daily. There are California schools on the radar that would go before them. Big East won't want them. Big XII, SEC, ACC, or PAC 12 in their dreams. WAC is dead. MAC is not an option. I know its rumored they were a shoe in but that was prior to Boise & San Diego staying.

If Tulsa goes, Western Kentucky is my vote.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1