At North Texas, coaching is all in the family

Harry

DENTON — Tony Benford is in his first year as the head basketball coach at the University of North Texas.

So is his associate head coach, Rob Evans. Between them, they have a combined 60 years of college coaching experience.

"You know, we've experienced it all," Evans said. "So when we see something that happens, we probably saw it before it happened."

"He's just a great ambassador for us here at North Texas," Benford said about his colleague. "I tell my players, 'Guys, you are very lucky and fortunate to have somebody with Coach Evans' knowledge on our staff."

Benford and Evans have a relationship that goes back to the 1980s, when Evans helped recruit Benford at Texas Tech. Both are from Hobbs, New Mexico.

"It was a big time Hobbs connection," Benford said. "I tell you what — Coach Evans, he was the best recruiter for football and basketball back in the day when he was at Texas Tech."

read more: http://www.wfaa.com/sports/college/At-North-Texas-coaching-is-all-in-the-family-187044931.html

I hope I am not wrong, and all of the Benford haters are right, but we have a good coaching staff in place here. I though it was an excellent piece that George Riva and Dale did last night. We got a quality win against a tough opponent Saturday night. This is going to be a brutal swing in Florida for both the men and women this weekend, if they both go 1-1 I think you would have to call it success. Any thoughts from anyone on the fact that we are playing a little better with Chris Jones hurt and reincarnation of smurf point gaurd a la Josh White style running the point for most of the game?

When P.J. stuck all but one of those free throws coming down the stretch I could not help but think about Josh.

• Upvote 2