Amid defections and uncertain TV deal; Is SMU still committed?

Harry

SMU president R. Gerald Turner said the Mustangs remain committed to the Big East. They officially become members in July.

But over the last few months, the Big East has lost Notre Dame, Rutgers and Louisville, as well as the league’s seven non-FBS schools, which are forming their own conference. And the Big East’s negotiations for a television deal continue to drag on. Expectations of significantly lower conference payouts than expected have contributed to some of the exits.

More Big East defections — if that’s possible — and expansion elsewhere could force SMU to reconsider. The Mustangs have been mentioned as potential candidates for the Mountain West.

With its numbers in flux, the Big East must work on its divisional makeup. If San Diego State decides to honor its commitment, the Big East’s most likely move could be continued westward expansion.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20130110-amid-defections-and-uncertain-tv-deal-big-east-meets-is-smu-still-committed.ece

SMU has paid exit fee from CUSA,and would have to do the same to leave Big East. SDSU is attending todays Big East meeting in Dallas,where I expect Tulsa to be offered an invitation regardless of whether SDSU stays or leaves. When smoke clears I think Big East consists of Houston,SMU,Tulsa,Tulane,Memphis,CFU,ECU,SFU,Cincy,U.Conn. and Navy in 2015 if not sooner.If SDSU decides to stay in MWC,Then U.Mass becomes 12th school.We should know for sure after today.

I would go to MWC if I were SMU

What if you were UNT?

If Tulsa bolts for the Big East and UTEP bolts for the MWC, then UNT is still in a better spot (geographically) than we were in the SBC, but not nearly as great as it was with Tulsa & UTEP.

However, we won't get into the Big East because we don't really bring anything new to the table that SMU doesn't bring, and even with an addition of UTEP, the MWC is not quite enticing enough to have to go West for all of our away games without any travel partners... or is it?

This was just posted in the BigEast forum. The last point about Houston and the Pac-12 is pretty interesting.

UHCougar Wrote: My MWC folks have gotten quite . . . UH isn't much better, but here is what I was told this morning by the only one at UH still providing specifics:

* SDSU told the Big East that SDSU is going back to the MWC, pending a vote by the MWC presidents. They came to Dallas only because technically the MWC has not voted yet to invite them. SDSU is "respected by everyone in the room;"

* BYU told the MWC no. BYU remained "inflexible" in its demands to control all of its media rights. It offered to not take any national TV bonuses on other games. "Thompson promised what he couldn't deliver." BYU never wanted anything more than an "affiliation" to gain access to the BCS Bowl, which they proposed to split with the conference, nothing more. The MWC presidents were split over BYU. I do not know who supported what.

* The MWC offered BYU and UH (and they think everyone in the conference) that the MWC would waive exit fees if they left to join a Power 5 Conference;

* UH and SMU is staying in the Big East;

* Every one in the Big East has "resigned themselves" that new additions will come from Conference USA for now. Aresco has said the TV numbers don't work for MAC schools. UMass lacks internal administration, big donor, and alumni support to commit long-term at the level it is being asked to commit. Average attendance levels at Gillette was the deciding factor because UMass could offer no explanation of how it plans to increase attendance "dramatically;"

* Aresco is telling conference presidents that adding new FBS schools with "growth potential" like ODU, James Madison, UTSA, etc. despite expected attendance over 30,000 at some is not well-received at this time by TV partners;

* Tulsa is a certainty even if SDSU flips. Tulsa is favored because of its academic reputation and success on the field, but mostly because it completes a "western division" of Tulsa, UH, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, and Cincinnati. Tulsa comes in 2014. Tulsa also completes the core of schools that the remaining conference leaders USF, UCF, UH, SMU, and ECU want to move forward on their own if UConn, Cinncinnati, Navy, leave. . . Southern Mississippi has no support by existing Big East presidents or Areasco at this time . . .

* Navy is still committed, but can not come before 2015;

* The conference will be a 12-team conference;

* A key discussion point is whether to bolster the basketball strength by adding 2-4 schools like St. Louis, VCU, Wichita State, Belmont, etc. There is no consensus on who to invite if this is done;

And for what it's worth . . . the PAC-12's Larry Scott told Dr. Khator this week that for now, UH is first on his list if they expand because of the "enormous potential" at Houston . . . SMU is not a consideration at this time . . . if this happens, "it happens in the next two years, or it never happens" . . .

Yes it is...I found the UCLA Houston, UCLA Texas bouts interesting. The bruins sure do love playing in Texas. UCLA on the upswing in the league might have an even greater influence in discussions or at least get the conference thinking.

GMG