SDSU's dilemma: Mountain West or Big East?

Harry

Decisions, decisions.

San Diego State suddenly finds itself back in the market for a sports conference, barely a year after announcing it would leave the Mountain West next summer for the Big East in football and Big West in everything else.

Technically, nothing has changed; SDSU is still leaving the Mountain West after the current academic year. In reality, everything has.

Boise State, its western partner in the jump to the Big East, announced it is staying in the Mountain West, and even SDSU athletic director Jim Sterk after months of steadfastly, even stubbornly, saying his school was committed to the Big East conceded in a statement that the news represents a significant change in conference alignment.

So now what? Stay in the Mountain West? Or go it alone into uncharted territory?

Neither choice is particularly enticing, at least compared to what could have been.

Understand that SDSU is a state institution that is largely funded by taxpayer dollars and that wants to play big-time NCAA Division I football. Now mix in a biting recession and some of the nations most stringent gender equity guidelines, meaning what limited financial resources are available cant be poured into football and mens basketball while ignoring the 16 other teams on campus. SDSUs athletic department needs money to thrive or even just survive, and the Big East offered it.

All things being equal, SDSU never would have left the Mountain West. But all things havent been equal. SDSU, according to school officials, received about $1.4 million last year in Mountain West television revenue and is projected to get $600,000 this year.

Conservative estimates for a new football TV contract in the Big East were $6.4 million per year. To Sterk and SDSU President Elliot Hirshman, it was a no-brainer.

If there is a tragic element to recent developments, it is that neither option facing SDSU likely offers the same revenue potential. And that could have profound repercussions across the athletic department from assistant coaches in Olympic sports, to football funding, to a new practice facility for the Top 25 mens basketball team.

But its the boat they find themselves in. Heres a look at some factors in deciding which way to paddle.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/college/aztecs/sdsu-breaking-down-mountain-west-vs-big-east/article_37c52d73-37f4-5b92-bf85-0d289cad7e3b.html?comment_form=true

If you are following this stuff, this is a very good article. I did not realize that SDSU moving their non revenue sports to the Big West negated the travel cost savings achieved from moving from the Big East to Mountain West. Also, the Big East could potentiallynthrow a lot of money their way to help their decision. It appears their decision to move back to Mountain West is more complicated than I realized.

Zeigler makes a compelling argument for SDSU to stay Big East/Big West. The saved travel expenses and time in the Olympic sports would appear to pay dividends come tournament time, not to mention how those close roadtrips appeal to momma and daddy. If SDSU really is able to amp up their nonconference with the likes of Kansas, Connecticut, Cincy, Memphis, etc then it would be worth it a la Gonzaga.

What would be the mileage comparison of the 4 football roadtrips per year compared to what Hawaii has to do no matter what conference they're in? I would think it wouldn't be too unreasonable, especially if the Big East can get one more western team (BYU in football only?). Obviously West Virginia thought 4 long road trips were worth it. If Aresco really wants to keep the Big East together, he's going to need to "win" one of these battles in keeping a team in the fold. He should start with the Aztecs

• Upvote 1

Its my understanding that SDSU,SJSU, and FSU are all in the same financial boat,yet it appears that only SDSU has any real option.Anyone know if MWC would allow these California schools to put all other sports in Big WEST and become a football only member? They did so for Hawaii.

After reading this article, staying in the Big East may be the best alternative for SDSU. I'm all in favor of shorter trips for students. In fact, it would be nice if the NCAA could mandate that current conferences be blown up and teams reassigned based on proximity to each other. Overall that would serve the students and schools better than the current system. Basically, it could be like what Texas High Schools do every two years.

I honestly don't think the Big East is going to die. I think the current teams will stick together, pull a few other teams in, and stick it out. They'll try to use the brand name to place themselves a little above CUSA.

• Upvote 1

After reading this article, staying in the Big East may be the best alternative for SDSU. I'm all in favor of shorter trips for students. In fact, it would be nice if the NCAA could mandate that current conferences be blown up and teams reassigned based on proximity to each other. Overall that would serve the students and schools better than the current system. Basically, it could be like what Texas High Schools do every two years.

I honestly don't think the Big East is going to die. I think the current teams will stick together, pull a few other teams in, and stick it out. They'll try to use the brand name to place themselves a little above CUSA.

Except there are apparently no guarantees about the name.

Some of the reports have said that the Big East bylaws provided that if ALL basketball or ALL football left that while it wasn't a dissolution, the assets of the league were to be divided between the two groups. Assets would include the right to receive exit fees, NCAA payments, office space, and intellectual property such as the league name and logos.

If that is true and the C7 want the name I'm sure they will be happy to trade some of the exit fee payments for the name and logos.

• Upvote 1

Its my understanding that SDSU,SJSU, and FSU are all in the same financial boat,yet it appears that only SDSU has any real option.Anyone know if MWC would allow these California schools to put all other sports in Big WEST and become a football only member? They did so for Hawaii.

As a fan of the Big West, SCREW THAT! The conference spent over 20 years as a halfway house for itinerant football programs (including North Texas). Its core members got kicked around again and again, spat on, laughed at, mocked, and left for dead as soon as a spot opened up in the WAC or the SBC.

Every Big West school is on equal footing now, all are in California, and it's a really fun league to watch for basketball, baseball, and men's soccer.

Boise and SDSU were set to join the Big West in non-football and I wasn't too happy about it because their Big East football money gives them an unfair advantage over the rest of the conference. Also, Boise treated the conference like an ugly two dollar whore when they left for the WAC, so I never, ever want to see them again.

For unexplained reasons, I didn't mind Hawaii coming into the Big West. Mostly, because it gives Big West schools an extra four baseball games every other year, which can be a big advantage come post season selection time.

Former Big West schools off the top of my head:

NMSU

UNLV

Fresno

Boise

Idaho

SJSU

Nevada

North Texas

Ark St (football only?)

Utah St

Pretty much the entire SBC in football in the mid-90s

I really don't care to see any of those schools come back. Pacific is leaving for the WCC, and the only school I could stomach to replace them would be Cal. St Bakersfield -- another California school with no football on equal footing (Who, by the way, has put together some impressive programs and facilities in their short time in D1).

The Big West will never again be a power conference in basketball, was never a power conference in football, and enjoys continuing powerhouse status in men's soccer and baseball, and I like it that way. No thank you to a bunch of meddling football schools mucking it all up!

Football schools should play all sports in football conferences!

Edited by oldguystudent