The problem isn't heart or Benford

eppy4life

Now, maybe you could point this to Benford's offense but I feel a major issue we have right now is a lack of shooters. I'm not talking about a spot up shooter hanging outside. I'm talking about CJ/JW being able to knock down the mid-range stuff that there for them to take.

I'd love to see a breakdown of our shooting percentage of any shoot taken outside of 3 feet. I'd bet it's at or below 30%.

This would be a great Tasty project...

If he were still at all interested, that is...

:unsure:

Why? He will have Overlander and Taylor next season. They shouldn't get too tired playing 2-3 minutes at a time.
Plus Walton.

We already got rid of one at the beginning of the season. Not saying trey would make a difference, but bringing in an ineligible taylor has done no favors this year. I hope it pays off next year.

It's not necessarily depth, it's quality we lack.

What? It cannot be the players fault that they are not hitting their shots, can it? Surely it must be Coach Benford's fault. These guys were all such pinpoint shooters last year and all. Just how does a coach unt each a guy to shoot?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

What? It cannot be the players fault that they are not hitting their shots, can it? Surely it must be Coach Benford's fault. These guys were all such pinpoint shooters last year and all. Just how does a coach unt each a guy to shoot?

Is anything Benford's fault?

We weren't tearing up the nets last year, but our percentages weren't this bad. Last time I saw we were 342 out of 343 teams in D1 basketball in 3 point shooting percentage. That's NOWHERE near last year.

We weren't tearing up the nets last year, but our percentages weren't this bad. Last time I saw we were 342 out of 343 teams in D1 basketball in 3 point shooting percentage. That's NOWHERE near last year.

Short answer...yes.

But, some of the BS folks are laying at Benford's feet is simply inane. Let me ask you...is anything the player's fault? This is as fair a question as your's...right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Short answer...yes.

But, some of the BS folks are laying at Benford's feet is simply inane. Let me ask you...is anything the player's fault? This is as fair a question as your's...right?

Sure some of it is the players fault. But no matter how you slice it, the lion's share of the blame falls at the coach. Sometimes gameplans don't work. Sometimes guys don't hit shots or free throws. Sometimes the other team is flat out better than you.

But -- we've really only played well in like...two games? Even in most of our wins we are looking bad. Now, I am totally in the camp of a win is a win (especially this season!), but seriously...we seem completely lost. That reflects on the leadership.

At a certain point it's up to the coach to figure out WTF is going wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why? He will have Overlander and Taylor next season. They shouldn't get too tired playing 2-3 minutes at a time.
This reminds me about my first experience of this last night - can anyone tell me why we sub so much? This team can't get into any kind of flow subbing like that. Sure enough every time they got any kind of transition going Benford was shoving players in.

How does a coach unt a guy to shoot?

qd5bi.jpg

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

Sure some of it is the players fault. But no matter how you slice it, the lion's share of the blame falls at the coach. Sometimes gameplans don't work. Sometimes guys don't hit shots or free throws. Sometimes the other team is flat out better than you.

But -- we've really only played well in like...two games? Even in most of our wins we are looking bad. Now, I am totally in the camp of a win is a win (especially this season!), but seriously...we seem completely lost. That reflects on the leadership.

At a certain point it's up to the coach to figure out WTF is going wrong.

WTF is going on you ask? Your heroes are lazy, and want to do it their way. Does it work that way with your boss?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

WTF is going on you ask? Your heroes are lazy, and want to do it their way. Does it work that way with your boss?

My heroes? I don't look up to kids that are at least ten years younger than I am.

And don't tell my boss - but I do think I am pretty lazy. :P

Edited by CMJ

I fully agree that lack of shooting, especially outside shooting, is the major issue. The question is why. Do frequent subs keep players from establishing rhythm?

It doesn't help the rhythm. Benford is making a classic coaching mistake where he is teaching his big ideas instead of coaching this particular team. Maybe a different kind of guy could come in and rearrange this squad where Benford cannot. This is his to mess up or correct now. It will be fascinating to see how he deals with the challenge.

I doubt Benford is doing anything different than what he has seen first hand from other successful coaches. His interpretation may leave a little to be desired, but I put a little faith in his assistant coaches to help keep him between the lines.

A battle of wills goes on any time a new coach/boss comes in and starts changing the rules. The star employees tend to convince themselves that they don't need to change be amuse they have been successful in the past. Funny thing though, sometimes when you open your mind to new ideas, you learn something.

Hopefully the coaches and players are both learning from the past few weeks and are ready to start working together instead pulling in opposite directions. It takes a little give and take from both sides sometimes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I shouldn't be so surprised at what I'm seeing. Benford and Evans are running the exact same scheme that Gerald Meyers used to strive for mediocrity with back in the 70's and 80's at Tech. I would hate to give Dickey any credit for (temporarily) turning that program around considering the sleezy way it happened.

Maybe we should see if Bob Knight wants to come out of retirement.

Not too comprehensive, but I took a look at the ESPN.com play-by-play of Thursday's game to come up with some numbers based on how our field goal attempts were identified...

Field Goals made = 27

Dunks: 5/5 = 100%

Layups: 13/18 = 72%

Jumpers (Combined 2 & 3 point attempts): 9/48 = 19%

Keep in mind, these numbers don't factor in items that may've been made/missed while being fouled so make of this what you will.

Well, if you count the shooters who are gone, the problem was lurking there and it would have appeared this year regardless of who was coach.

• Upvote 1

Well, to start with , by conducting shooting drills in practice. By having JW practice taking 3s with a hand in his face, not just concentrating on having him take the ball to the hole, which Benford himself said was the concentration in fall camp. By not practicing on game days (if that's true).

Keep piling on the 5 star 21 year old, the #7 rated player in the state, and a player that was just outside the top 100 nationally if you want, but this is clearly a HUGE coaching problem.

If you want to defend Bemford, fine, but please don't blame kids who need direction to play at this level.

• Upvote 1

Not too comprehensive, but I took a look at the ESPN.com play-by-play of Thursday's game to come up with some numbers based on how our field goal attempts were identified...

Field Goals made = 27

Dunks: 5/5 = 100%

Layups: 13/18 = 72%

Jumpers (Combined 2 & 3 point attempts): 9/48 = 19%

Keep in mind, these numbers don't factor in items that may've been made/missed while being fouled so make of this what you will.

This is exactly the reason it is Benford's fault...you're telling me that we are money in the paint yet we took more than twice as many mid to long range jumpers than high percentage shots. That's poor scheme.