Post Game Presser

UNT90

I'll say this, I've finally learned my lesson when it comes to coaching hires. I will make no judgments on hires until after a full year of team play. Todd Dodge, Benford, even Mac, all of these guys, you just never know until after you see the team take the field. It is the same way with recruits. I will still get my hopes up, can't help that, but I will always reserve a sick feeling in my gut for the "Todd Dodge factor". As for recruits, I'll call it the "Riley Dodge factor" It is omnipresent with any hire that is unproven as a head coach.

Am I being too harsh on Riley? I kind of think I am. Man, were those expectations high though.

• Upvote 1

I'll say this, I've finally learned my lesson when it comes to coaching hires. I will make no judgments on hires until after a full year of team play. Todd Dodge, Benford, even Mac, all of these guys, you just never know until after you see the team take the field. It is the same way with recruits. I will still get my hopes up, can't help that, but I will always reserve a sick feeling in my gut for the "Todd Dodge factor". As for recruits, I'll call it the "Riley Dodge factor" It is omnipresent with any hire that is unproven as a head coach.

Am I being too harsh on Riley? I kind of think I am. Man, were those expectations high though.

I think you are and last I checked football was a team game. Same as basketball and us expecting so much because of one man, Tony Mitchell. Folks think automatically other players can just drink after him and rise to his level. And if CJ, JW, and TM had half the heart as Riley, we would be looking forward to conference play instead of dreading it. Riley was a gamer. . Yes, he was to small for Div !, but relatively speaking, probably had more talent on his level at Southlake than he did at UNT. The Dodge Family is gone, so get off their backs and get over it!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think you are and last I checked football was a team game. Same as basketball and us expecting so much because of one man, Tony Mitchell. Folks think automatically other players can just drink after him and rise to his level. And if CJ, JW, and TM had half the heart as Riley, we would be looking forward to conference play instead of dreading it. Riley was a gamer. . Yes, he was to small for Div !, but relatively speaking, probably had more talent on his level at Southlake than he did at UNT. The Dodge Family is gone, so get off their backs and get over it!

Never questioned Riley's attitude or heart, he was probably the biggest competitor we've seen at UNT in any sport, maybe ever. I think he was out of position but I won't rehash that. Your point about the Dodge Family is understood but it feels like we (UNT AD's office) keep making the same mistakes in our hiring. That's a problem and we need to remember our history or be doomed to repeat it over and over again.

• Upvote 1

Watching this (mainly the body language of all 3, since all 3 spit coach-speak), I'm sensing alot of cover-up... Things they want to say, but they know they shouldn't to the media.

I'll agree with some of you, to a degree, in regards to Mitchell. He's definitely not doing himself any favors by sulking like that in front of the media. I know he's got the fortitude, it's just, does he want to portray confidence? Right now, he's definitely letting his emotions dominate his sleeve.

• Upvote 2

Watching this (mainly the body language of all 3, since all 3 spit coach-speak), I'm sensing alot of cover-up... Things they want to say, but they know they shouldn't to the media.

I'll agree with some of you, to a degree, in regards to Mitchell. He's definitely not doing himself any favors by sulking like that in front of the media. I know he's got the fortitude, it's just, does he want to portray confidence? Right now, he's definitely letting his emotions dominate his sleeve.

Agreed. A more interesting interview would be to slip some truth serum into their bottled waters. What would that interview be like???

Seriously...when was the last time you saw a pre-or-post game interview with any coach and any player that was not full of coach speak stuff? Ever watch the interviews with the Cowboys, the mavericks? All the same...they all say the exact same stuff time and time again. Just with different phrases owing to the sport. Anyone who has followed sports for any length of time knows that a "real" presser is a thing that happens very few times and, of course, there is a reason for that.

Seriously...when was the last time you saw a pre-or-post game interview with any coach and any player that was not full of coach speak stuff? Ever watch the interviews with the Cowboys, the mavericks? All the same...they all say the exact same stuff time and time again. Just with different phrases owing to the sport. Anyone who has followed sports for any length of time knows that a "real" presser is a thing that happens very few times and, of course, there is a reason for that.

It is not what they said, it is the look of total defeat in both Mitchell and Benford. Alzee did better but Mitchell looked bewildered, bored and was totally non-convening in anything he said. Benford was defensive, nervous and looked like he had rather be walking to the gallows.

My favorite part of that was the 15 second PGA tour preview. Can't wait for golf season.

I'm always looking for a buddy to join me at either the Colonial or Byron each year. Maybe we can have a Go Mean Green day at one of the tournaments. I wish the senior tour came through here. I know more of those guys then I do on the PGA, and I'm only 29.

Oh before you throw out that first semester we all make mistakes crap, they had the summer courses before the fall semester so that excuse doors not fly.

You know for a fact that they were in Summer School before there freshman year? If so what were they taking? You must either be tight with them, work in the Athletic Department or work in the Registration office.

Oh before you throw out that first semester we all make mistakes crap, they had the summer courses before the fall semester so that excuse doors not fly.

You know for a fact that they were in Summer School before there freshman year? If so what were they taking? You must either be tight with them, work in the Athletic Department or work in the Registration office.

Brett, I have the papers. Meet me in a parking garage in Dallas and I will provide. I will bark like a dog so you know it's me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is not what they said, it is the look of total defeat in both Mitchell and Benford. Alzee did better but Mitchell looked bewildered, bored and was totally non-convening in anything he said. Benford was defensive, nervous and looked like he had rather be walking to the gallows.

This is true...but am wondering if this is just Mitchell's affect? Has the same look on his face during the games it seems to me. Guy just never seems interested...may just be his typical mannerism. They had just lost a game pretty badly and were having to face the media. Theses guys are not the most experienced as such...but indeed the body language was poor.

And, does Benford tap on the mike stand during every post-game interviews? Very irritating!

This is true...but am wondering if this is just Mitchell's affect? Has the same look on his face during the games it seems to me. Guy just never seems interested...may just be his typical mannerism. They had just lost a game pretty badly and were having to face the media. Theses guys are not the most experienced as such...but indeed the body language was poor.

And, does Benford tap on the mike stand during every post-game interviews? Very irritating!

Yes, Mitchell looks disinterested and uninvolved most of the time and I think it hurts him with fans. I think it is just his manner, but in this interview it was even worse than usual. His interviews usually are much better and believable.

Just saw this for the first time. What a sad, depressing interview. The 3 of them together spent the most time staring at the table. This is admittedly a catch22 for these guys. If they show confidence and disregard for the losses, we say they don't care. If they look upset by the losses, we say they look defeated and giving up.

The impression I got from TM on Thursday was that he was more disappointed when he'd miss a free throw, block, or reboound because of the scouts than the fact that the team was getting blown out.

Zero leadership out of him.

Actually, Mitchell was mad at himself. Same he has been all this year and last. Mitchell has got to learn to let it go when he misses a shot, free throw, etc... He is very hard on himself to the point of affecting his performance.

He needs to realize even the best players are only successful 50 percent of the time. Don't dwell on it.

It's killing his game.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 4