Why cant we fire Benford

Dr. Seuss

Everyone keeps on saying that we cant fire Benford because of money. From Vito's article it states if we fire him before the 5 years is up we are on the hook for the difference is he goes to another team.. So that brings my next question, what did Benford make at Marquette, and how much would he make as an assistant. My guess around 200k, so were on the hook for 150k plus a new head coach..

Straight from Vito "If UNT were to terminate Benford’s contract without cause, it would be required to pay him his monthly base salary multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract. There is a mitigation clause in the deal that would reduce UNT’s financial obligation by an amount equal to the salary of any new job Benford would take after leaving the school"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone keeps on saying that we cant fire Benford because of money. From Vito's article it states if we fire him before the 5 years is up we are on the hook for the difference is he goes to another team.. So that brings my next question, what did Benford make at Marquette, and how much would he make as an assistant. My guess around 200k, so were on the hook for 150k plus a new head coach..

Straight from Vito "If UNT were to terminate Benfords contract without cause, it would be required to pay him his monthly base salary multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract. There is a mitigation clause in the deal that would reduce UNTs financial obligation by an amount equal to the salary of any new job Benford would take after leaving the school"

After this coming March we will still owe $1.280,000.

The only other option is pay and reassign him and go with an interim, then hope TB moves on to another head coaching job.

Reality is TB is here for at least another 2 years if not three. Stephens got three and Dodge was able to coach nearly midway through his 4th.

What I want to see is someone be held accountable and make sure we never hand over one of our major three jobs to inexperience ever again.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why don't we take Fouts apart piece by piece and sell it as scrap? Lots of copper in that old gurl. That field turf should be worth a pretty nickle. The old scoreboard would look nice at some area high school stadium. Everyone needs bleachers. Auction off the big picture of Mean Joe.

Its a green solution to this green turd of a problem.

• Upvote 3

The only other option is pay and reassign him and go with an interim, then hope TB moves on to another head coaching job.

Reality is TB is here for at least another 2 years if not three. Stephens got three and Dodge was able to coach nearly midway through his 4th.

What I want to see is someone be held accountable and make sure we never hand over one of our major three jobs to inexperience ever again.

Rick

We owe 1.2 if he doesnt get another job... If he gets another job it decreases dollar for dollar, thats my point

Because it means the AD would have to admit to a huge mistake.

That mistake will be on display 10 some odd more times on the superpit sidelines. It won't have to be admitted by the time the final home game is finished and 500 people leave the pit to make their way home, everyone will know.

Again, if ego is the main concern of the athletic director (which I doubt it is), he shouldn't be the athletic director.

Edited by UNT90

Rick

What I want to see is someone be held accountable and make sure we never hand over one of our major three jobs to inexperience ever again....that would be RV

Rick

I get the Dodge and Stephens comparisons, but I don't think they're entirely accurate here.

The football program was floundering when Dodge took over...both in terms of performance and marketability...so RV took a chance on a splash hire that commanded both local and national attention and put a more entertaining product on the field. The major mis-fire here was allowing Dodge to bring a high school staff...had that not happened I think Dodge would've at least cracked double figures in wins...

The logic behind the Stephens hire was actually sound as well...again, you have a struggling program in need of re-vitalization...there is a case history for well-thought-of assistants coming in and jump starting something with their energy and dedication in their first head coaching job. RV just clearly picked the wrong assistant.

When you have a program that has already established a level of success, though, and you need a new coach because your program builder has moved on to greener pastures...that is not the time to take a chance...there are three logical routes to take...the preferred is you nab the hot coach at the perceived next rung down (Scott Cross for example), you grab an experienced head coach who has shown some success in difficult situations (Doc Sadler) or if you go the assistant route, its because you know you have a gem in-house (see Mark Few, Brad Stevens).

I like RV. I like the work he's done here...the stadium, right or wrong, will stand as his crowning achievement and he has done a fantastic job in building facilities and the periphery sports. But if this hire ruins the one major sport that has given this AD any shred of credibility over the past decade...RV needs to be held accountable for his catastrophic mistake.

• Upvote 5

I get the Dodge and Stephens comparisons, but I don't think they're entirely accurate here.

The football program was floundering when Dodge took over...both in terms of performance and marketability...so RV took a chance on a splash hire that commanded both local and national attention and put a more entertaining product on the field. The major mis-fire here was allowing Dodge to bring a high school staff...had that not happened I think Dodge would've at least cracked double figures in wins...

The logic behind the Stephens hire was actually sound as well...again, you have a struggling program in need of re-vitalization...there is a case history for well-thought-of assistants coming in and jump starting something with their energy and dedication in their first head coaching job. RV just clearly picked the wrong assistant.

When you have a program that has already established a level of success, though, and you need a new coach because your program builder has moved on to greener pastures...that is not the time to take a chance...there are three logical routes to take...the preferred is you nab the hot coach at the perceived next rung down (Scott Cross for example), you grab an experienced head coach who has shown some success in difficult situations (Doc Sadler) or if you go the assistant route, its because you know you have a gem in-house (see Mark Few, Brad Stevens).

I like RV. I like the work he's done here...the stadium, right or wrong, will stand as his crowning achievement and he has done a fantastic job in building facilities and the periphery sports. But if this hire ruins the one major sport that has given this AD any shred of credibility over the past decade...RV needs to be held accountable for his catastrophic mistake.

Excellent post.

• Upvote 1

What is Cause? Isn't a basketball coaches job to win basketball games? Benford is nor doing his job. That should be enough to fire him. I know it's not, but it should be.

1.2 million might be cheap compared to the damage, Benford could do over another couple of years not only to the MBB program but to NT overall reputation. Benford's major asset has been recruiting and that is already gone; nobody with options is going to want to play here for him.

I really believe the thing to do right now, is let him go. You might have at least a chance of redeeming this season and the risk is low. Yes, the money is an enormous issue for a school like NT, but if it is correct that Benford has an offset for other salary than it might be much lower. At least, it would provide a point for bargaining for an agreed settlement.

By risk, I am not referring to finances, but that a new coach could do worse than Benford. I really don't think compared to the possible resurrection of the team that a coaching change would be that risky. Even if it is to be an interim coach like Evans.

Does anyone really think that Benford is going to be successful at NT? That after Mitchell, Holman, Niko, Patton, Franklin and probably others leave, that NT is going to get stronger under this coach?

1.2 million might be cheap compared to the damage, Benford could do over another couple of years not only to the MBB program but to NT overall reputation. Benford's major asset has been recruiting and that is already gone; nobody with options is going to want to play here for him.

I really believe the thing to do right now, is let him go. You might have at least a chance of redeeming this season and the risk is low. Yes, the money is an enormous issue for a school like NT, but if it is correct that Benford has an offset for other salary than it might be much lower. At least, it would provide a point for bargaining for an agreed settlement.

By risk, I am not referring to finances, but that a new coach could do worse than Benford. I really don't think compared to the possible resurrection of the team that a coaching change would be that risky. Even if it is to be an interim coach like Evans.

Does anyone really think that Benford is going to be successful at NT? That after Mitchell, Holman, Niko, Patton, Franklin and probably others leave, that NT is going to get stronger under this coach?

I only know that I was planning on purchasing another season ticket prior to UAH. Post - UAH, I pocketed the money. It's one seat, and I'm only one fan, but it's tough to get anyone else to come up here for a game the rest of the season now. In fact, It might be tough to get myself to go to the rest if we don't at least start looking better.

Is the outlook better next year? To me, it kinda looks to be about the same, but we might have Taylor and Walton back.

Great post,

I am afraid we might regret firing RV for this. RV has a facilities vision and to me has just focused all of his attention on that one aspect of his job. Granted, that has cost us at times with some of the hires but Todd Dodge was allegedly a big reason why we were able to get Apogee done.

If you are a Dr. Rawlings, how do you handle this? Just outright fire him? The single greatest program facilities builder in the history of the program over 100 years?

I think it is more nuanced. I think you require that you have a final say in all hires and that each hire will include an analysis by outside consultants.

Here's the problem. What if that is already happening? What if that is already in place?

That's a scary thought. What if Rawlings is complicit too in these hires?

I think the sad thing is Benford doesn't seem to be utilizing his staff. Surely they are giving him good advice?

I'd think if you surrounded my with a quality staff, I could win a FEW games just by rolling the ball out and telling the guys to go get'em. Benford certainly knows more about basketball than me, but whatever he is doing is failing badly beyond belief.

Like, give me his staff and I'll do the job for a tenth of what he is. And we might still be 5-7. :P

Edited by CMJ

I think the sad thing is Benford doesn't seem to be utilizing his staff. Surely they are giving him good advice?

I'd think if you surrounded my with a quality staff, I could win a FEW games just by rolling the ball out and telling the guys to go get'em. Benford certainly knows more about basketball than me, but whatever he is doing is failing badly beyond belief.

Like, give me his staff and I'll do the job for a tenth of what he is. And we might still be 5-7. :P

I'd hire you if you promised to keep posting the conference results for us every day.

• Upvote 1

I'd hire you if you promised to keep posting the conference results for us every day.

LMFAO

I may do it too much, but I like to look to see how things change. I used to write recaps after the season's end and that kinda stuff helped me out (much like posting all the score updates at media timeouts) seeing where things stood at certain points. I just got used to it I guess.

I only know that I was planning on purchasing another season ticket prior to UAH. Post - UAH, I pocketed the money. It's one seat, and I'm only one fan, but it's tough to get anyone else to come up here for a game the rest of the season now. In fact, It might be tough to get myself to go to the rest if we don't at least start looking better.

Is the outlook better next year? To me, it kinda looks to be about the same, but we might have Taylor and Walton back.

It's extremely tough. I can't give my extra ticket away most nights and it's not even 2013. If anyone ever wants to join me, just bring a beer or flask and I'll promise to do the popcorn trick and baby bird you a pretzel.