Just talked to a scout

Dr. Seuss

I sat in the scout section (right behind Ro Blackman). To say that they were disappointed that McCollum didn't play would be an understatement. The night can be summed up by this statement by one of the Thunder scouts "I drove 4 hours, with my kids, for THIS?". He said this while looking around at the mostly empty arena and talking to several other scouts.

This part I agree with you on Skivdrew.

Let's look at Chris's stats for these 4 of our 7 loses:

0 pts against Creighton

6 pts against VA

7 pts against UTA

and 0 pts against Lehigh.

If Chris played with consistency and played a more careful and calculated game might have fared better in each of these games. When your starting point guard has two games with 0 pts against Mid-Major competition that tells me all I need to know. CJ is not the answer to this team and as much as I want to like him I think he hinders more than he helps.

I agree , how many times did he drive one on two on what was suppose to be a fast break He had seven assists with how many turnovers? Tony not hustling down the court on defense after he thought he was fouled is unacceptable!

I agree , how many times did he drive one on two on what was suppose to be a fast break He had seven assists with how many turnovers? Tony not hustling down the court on defense after he thought he was fouled is unacceptable!

4 TOs. Almost a 2 to 1 assist to TO ratio, which is what you want out of a point guard.

Scoring was CJ's. problem. He, along with just about everyone else, is lost in this system.

I wonder if we even shoot 3s in practice. It's not like the are rimming out. They are air balls or complete bricks.

4 TOs. Almost a 2 to 1 assist to TO ratio, which is what you want out of a point guard.

Scoring was CJ's. problem. He, along with just about everyone else, is lost in this system.

I wonder if we even shoot 3s in practice. It's not like the are rimming out. They are air balls or complete bricks.

If the full practices the day of games is true, and I have zero reason to believe he's not that naive, then that would explain a LOT to me. Exhausted players tend to see a significant dip in their shooting percentages.

Why do people keep talking about full practices on game days without any confirmation at all? It's like saying that Emmitt dropped his wiener on the ground at his tailgate that may or may not have happened, but if it did, he dropped his wiener.

Give this a rest folks...unless and until someone with actual knowledge confirms that such happens on a regular basis.

• Downvote 2

Why do people keep talking about full practices on game days without any confirmation at all? It's like saying that Emmitt dropped his wiener on the ground at his tailgate that may or may not have happened, but if it did, he dropped his wiener.

Give this a rest folks...unless and until someone with actual knowledge confirms that such happens on a regular basis.

The person who first brought up the subject is related to a team member IIRC.

So...second hand info....great. That makes it official. Thanks for clearing that up.

No one said it is official. But, given the way we seem to wear down late in games...and the fact that Chris Jones has gotten cramps on numerous occasions....there is at least the appearance of legitimacy.

No one said it is official. But, given the way we seem to wear down late in games...and the fact that Chris Jones has gotten cramps on numerous occasions....there is at least the appearance of legitimacy.

I guess that view from LA is getting a bit smoggy. I'll believe it when there is official confirmation...you can continue he speculation if it makes you feel good. Not saying it appens, happened or did not happen...just saying it is ridiculous to use this pure speculation as another reason to crap all over Coach Benford.

• Downvote 1

So...second hand info....great. That makes it official. Thanks for clearing that up.

So RV is responsible for getting the stadium built?

He's the one to thank for Apogee's donation?

RV went out and solicited the funds for the basketball improvements?

I hope you have first hand confirmation that your buddy deserves all the kudos he's getting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I guess that view from LA is getting a bit smoggy. I'll believe it when there is official confirmation...you can continue he speculation if it makes you feel good. Not saying it appens, happened or did not happen...just saying it is ridiculous to use this pure speculation as another reason to crap all over Coach Benford.

Smoggy view? It rained the other day, the sky is quite clear. :P

I'm not speculating. It was posted by a family member of a player on this very board. It is safe to assume they were told by that player. So, we have some possibilities.

1. It's true.

2. It happened once or twice and was blown out of proportion by the family

3. The kid lied to the family

4. The family made it up

Now, I am gonna ignore option 4 because that seems ridiculous. If it's option #1 that's on Benford. In a way option #3 is as well, because that would say the team is mutinous against the staff.

Could be option two. That's what we all would hope.

Okay, I'm not saying that we do or do not practice before the games, but IF we do, that explains a little bit of what I saw last night. We all know Tony can be a little lazy from time to time. Last night, Tony didn't look lazy, he looked flat out exhausted. It's not like the guy isn't in shape. He looked tired early in the first half. I found this a little odd.

So RV is responsible for getting the stadium built?

He's the one to thank for Apogee's donation?

RV went out and solicited the funds for the basketball improvements?

I hope you have first hand confirmation that your buddy deserves all the kudos he's getting.

You can't handle the truth!

• Upvote 1

I wish I knew enough about basketball to know which of these arguments is valid, and I do not pretend to know. It sure seems to me, however, that for such an unprecedented abundance of talent, we seem to have a most peculiar lack of success.

• Upvote 2

And nobody seems to think anything about the FACT that TMitch has not violated the rules not once, but twice this season. And last night was arguably the most important night for him as any this season. Yea, people who are about to hand out a few million dollars overlook those details. That's not Benford's fault. That goes back to last year's staff who DID NOT discipline him for it. Hope you all have the European TV basketball package because that is where Tony will end up if he lasts long enough in the NBA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I am related to one of the players and yes they have been practicing on game days. Not shooting around,full practice. From what I've been told that is going to cease. They will just shoot around. Alzee and Tony did not start because they were late to practice. Its not Benford the team is just having issues within themselves. They are having to readjust to a whole new coaching staff who are trying to put structure and discipline into them that was not there before. This team was overhyped. I am dissappointed with this season as well but I am a true fan and things will turn around but just not fast enough for some. #"growingpains"

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I am related to one of the players and yes they have been practicing on game days. Not shooting around,full practice. From what I've been told that is going to cease. They will just shoot around. Alzee and Tony did not start because they were late to practice. Its not Benford the team is just having issues within themselves. They are having to readjust to a whole new coaching staff who are trying to put structure and discipline into them that was not there before. This team was overhyped. I am dissappointed with this season as well but I am a true fan and things will turn around but just not fast enough for some. #"growingpains"

Thanks angel1972, I thought you were. It's great that you feel comfortable posting.

And you've also given both camps ammunition in the Benford debate. Even better. :)

• Upvote 1

I thought TM looked about as engaged as he has all year, at least for a little while, which is a longer than several games.

It would surprise me if they have been holding full practice before games all year. However it would not surprise me if based on poor level of play lately that they held a few extra practices to make up for lost time over finals week. They certainly needed to do something.

Andrew... Benford is a horrible coach! explain to me how are we worse with the same players?!?!?! Lets see what has changed....... oh ya the COACH. Why don't you give up defending him. He literally subbed countless times. he subbed half the team with 20.3 seconds in the 1st half!

We aren't worse with the same players, we are worse with some key players missing. The ones we lost from last year could actually hit a basket.

• Upvote 2

Why the big difference from his play last year to this year Andrew? What's changed? He even has a better supporting cast around him this season. After last season he was a top 15 pick. At this point I doubt he's a first rounder at all.

Andrew, please answer, what has been the biggest change for tony and this team from last season to this season?

Tony Mitchel's ATTITUDE, for one. He has missed practices,and as a result has not started a few games as punishment. If his off court attitude is as bad as his is on court,he will bust out in December.

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much for this post. Spot on!

• Downvote 4

Well, the basketball team does not even stay on the court for the song. Don't now and didn't under JJ. Women's team and football team do. But if you think that the Big 3 on the men's team give a damn about UNT, the students, and fans then I believe you are dreaming

We don't have anybody good enough or consistent enough to be considered part of the big 3.

• Upvote 1

Frankly, I can't believe any coach would practice on game day or very hard the day before. High school coaches don't even do that.

As far as the big three giving a damn, sure they do to some extent. Do you really believe that the big three, whoever they are, enjoy looking up into the stands and seeing hundreds not thousands of fans? DD was infamous for the "us against the world" psychology he used on the team. Most players are loyal to the team first, than the school and the fans. The problem now is are they loyal to the coaching staff.

Frankly, I can't believe any coach would practice on game day or very hard the day before. High school coaches don't even do that.

As far as the big three giving a damn, sure they do to some extent. Do you really believe that the big three, whoever they are, enjoy looking up into the stands and seeing hundreds not thousands of fans? DD was infamous for the "us against the world" psychology he used on the team. Most players are loyal to the team first, than the school and the fans. The problem now is are they loyal to the coaching staff.

Apparently Kentucky does. They also have 3 a days. I overheard this while watching them play yesterday... Not sure if they always do but the broadcasters said they held a full practice before and hold 3 a days often.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2