Just talked to a scout

Dr. Seuss

Just to add fuel to this fire - the scout I dealt with thought that Benford had no clue how to utilize Mitchell.

He also questioned Mitchell's competitiveness, bball IQ, footwork, body language, and hustle. He thought he was athletic but questioned how that might translate against others of similar ability. Said he needs to be on a team with good coaching (presumably here talking about in the NBA).

(mic drop)

His body language...good Lord.

• Upvote 2

Exactly. Everyone at the games are silent. Hell, they don't even sing the school fight song anymore, and god forbid they do a bit of yelling. Just pathetic. The refs deserved to hear it.

And I am quite proud, actually.

Well, the basketball team does not even stay on the court for the song. Don't now and didn't under JJ. Women's team and football team do. But if you think that the Big 3 on the men's team give a damn about UNT, the students, and fans then I believe you are dreaming

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just to add fuel to this fire - the scout I dealt with thought that Benford had no clue how to utilize Mitchell.

He also questioned Mitchell's competitiveness, bball IQ, footwork, body language, and hustle. He thought he was athletic but questioned how that might translate against others of similar ability. Said he needs to be on a team with good coaching (presumably here talking about in the NBA).

(mic drop)

Well here is the hard part that even JJ had to deal with. He is a big, long, athletic man. It makes sense to put him in the post for our teams purpose, but it is not the right position for him. He will be a 3 in the NBA. As mentioned earlier he needs to come up a few feet for the pass an learn to play with his back to the basket!

(mic drop)

Match point!

Andrew you are a moron, As the great Randy Galloway says "Watch the Damn Game"

Im not saying that Im Bill Simmons, but I have a little bit of knowledge and this team sucks, and its the same players as last year... On my way out I talked to another scout.. He thought UNT was a scrub team, he didnt know that we've had 4/5 conference championship appearances, 5+ 20 win seasons.. Also asked him where TM is going and he said "Eh maybe mid 2nd round"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Andrew once again.... you didn't even know you can play zone in the NBA. This team plays with no heart and who have we beaten? No one worth a damn. and you can't explain his subbing b/c he can't even explain it. I was sitting behind the bench and every time they scored or stole the ball he turned to the bench. Does he know that happens in basketball? the only thing that has changed from last year is him.

• Upvote 3

(mic drop)

26613780.jpg

Andrew you are a moron, As the great Randy Galloway says "Watch the Damn Game"

Im not saying that Im Bill Simmons, but I have a little bit of knowledge and this team sucks, and its the same players as last year... On my way out I talked to another scout.. He thought UNT was a scrub team, he didnt know that we've had 4/5 conference championship appearances, 5+ 20 win seasons.. Also asked him where TM is going and he said "Eh maybe mid 2nd round"

I don't care where he goes, just so he goes after this season!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why are folks listening to scouts as if what they say is scripture? Scouts are just that...they have a hell of a lot more misses than hits. That said is they don't know what this program has done the last decade so I don't put all stock in to a couple of their comments. This is a joke...Benford could very well make this team back to a complete cellar dwellar in a matter of just one season when it's all over with.

I remeber when scouts thought players like Sam Bowie and Randy White were can't miss NBA stars. Sorry for the old examples but I am old and to lazy to look for more current examples. But, I'm hope you get my point.

Andrew once again.... you didn't even know you can play zone in the NBA. This team plays with no heart and who have we beaten? No one worth a damn. and you can't explain his subbing b/c he can't even explain it. I was sitting behind the bench and every time they scored or stole the ball he turned to the bench. Does he know that happens in basketball? the only thing that has changed from last year is him.

This is true because when I actually payed attention it was illegal....

I remeber when scouts thought players like Sam Bowie and Randy White were can't miss NBA stars. Sorry for the old examples but I am old and to lazy to look for more current examples. But, I'm hope you get my point.
And I'm sure some dumb scout suggested Greg Oden be drafted over Kevin Durant.

So this is what we have succumb to? Challenging everyone's credibility but our own. Lets not hurt ourselves patting our backs....

I know my credibility, not yours. Also, I am flexible enough to pat myself on the back.

P.S. I really do hope your views are correct. But with my 40 years of playing and coaching experience, I agree with very little of what you post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know my credibility, not yours. Also, I am flexible enough to pat myself on the back.

P.S. I really do hope your views are correct. But with my 40 years of playing and coaching experience, I agree with very little of what you post.

That is fine. At least you have an understanding. Where do you coach at? Is it local?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right now the dumpster fire has one of any number of explanations or a combination of many.

1. Benford is totally out of his depth, and there was a reason he was a 20 year assistant

2. The team is undisciplined and a bunch of street ballers, who need a lot of slack to just run free and are constricted by whatever Benford is attempting to run

3. After the early season losses, the team got dejected and has not recovered from the funk.

4. The team has no leaders.

5. CJ is having a ridiculous sophomore slump and is dragging the rest of the team down with him.

6. Brandon Walton is showing he was the team MVP by his absence, as we now have NO outside threat, and teams play us that way.

7. The alleged, day of game practices are killing the team....we do seem to fall apart of exhaustion in the second half.

And probably some others I am not thinking of.

Really though, given our talent level there is no legitimate reason we should be struggling this much. A team without their best player just blew us out of our own building. I am not someone who gives up on coaches easily. But, as I have said before, Benford walked into a fantastic situation and it is crumbling. Whatever the reason, he is the man at the top. If he didn't want scrutiny, he should have tried to get a reclamation project like Johnny Jones did when he first took over here. Learning the job on the fly works out very well in a place that has won 20 games in four seasons....not one that expected to compete for a conference title and a decent tournament seed.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 7

Yup, that horrible JJ system that won 2 conference titles and came within a shot of 2 more. Yeah, he sucked.

Or the JJ system that has LSU at 7-1. A team he has never known or coached is 7-1 in his first year and has two top 20 guys comming in next year. Yeah that JJ system doesn't work.

• Upvote 7

Because the players are being asked to actually run within a system. Johhny had no system. If you cannot see the difference between our offense this year and last year then I do not know what to tell you. (When I say this I am not talking about scoring baskets I am talking about moving without the ball). Benford is actually forcing the team to play as a team. We have been at our best when CJ is on the bench and Tony gets fewer touches. I am not saying either are bad players, but CJ is out of control and has no fundamentals. As for Tony he is getting swamped in the paint. He needs to learn to play with his back to the basket.

Johnny might not have had a system that you knew about like you know about your boy, Benford's. Alzee has mentioned that Benford's has less of a system and allows for more open play in interviews.

I do see a big difference in the way we are playing offense with movement, but I see a lot more opportunity for turnover and a system for which we don't have the players (3 point shooters and players that can make a good inlet pass) to play. Or othat we don't have players that are good at what system we are running.

As for coaching, It doesn't appear to be a shining point right now. For it to be, we'd be able to at least not get killed by 4 white guys in transition. I know for a fact, that should not happen. We aren't doing much well right now, and the coach can take as much blame as the players. If coaching isn't getting through, perhaps it's time to take a different tactic? Starting Niko is an indication that he is tinkering. That's good, but the sub patterns are inexplicable.

I have no problem with any fan being incredibly upset with what's going on here in any capacity. Holding all players, coaches, athletic directors accountable is what needs to be done and is a welcome change. No one should be excused from blame for what is happening now.

Not one fan here embarrasses me more than what's happened with our schools basketball team this year.

Edit: The pretending that things are okay around here is getting very annoying.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 3

Or the JJ system that has LSU at 7-1. A team he has never known or coached is 7-1 in his first year and has two top 20 guys coming in next year. Yeah that JJ system doesn't work.

JJ is an excellent recruiter. There is no debating that! Have you looked at the level of competition they played? Outside of Seton Hall and maybe Mcneese State who did they play....

Im interested to see how they play against Marquette actually.

• Downvote 2