Lehigh (12/20/12)

CMJ

RV this is on you! I have never been against you but what a horrible hire! And benford...... I honestly don't know what to say besides please leave.

I can't call it a terrible hire. With Dodge, it was a stupid move. I wasn't a fan at the time, but remember being flabbergasted that a FBS school would call up a HS coach. Here, Benford was at Marquette, highly respected...and this happened. It looked like a good hire.

• Upvote 3

This is the first time I have ever seen a basketball team run a 'prevent offense.' Benford would be better served to just shut up and let the team play. They are way overcoached during the game, which leads to indecision relative to shooting, which leads to missed baskets. These guys are just plain tired of the coach.

This is the first time I have ever seen a basketball team run a 'prevent offense.' Benford would be better served to just shut up and let the team play. They are way overcoached during the game, which leads to indecision relative to shooting, which leads to missed baskets. These guys are just plain tired of the coach.

Part of implementing a new system is knowing how to ease into it. That's just basic people skills. You have to know how far to push your players into a new system, how much they can take. If you push them too hard this is what you'll get. I think this is another one of those areas where experience is an issue.

This is why the Dan McCarney hire was so appropriate and why this Benford hire was such a head scratcher. McCarney has had experience implementing his system as a new head coach. He's been there and knows the psychology of it.

Yes, Benford was well regarded and was a great assistant at Marquette, but did it make sense for him to be the head coach HERE?

I remember when UNT president Gretchen Battai (sp?) made the comment about Todd Dodge "I was told by someone that we would be crazy not to hire this guy" or something along those lines. Sure, great, someone told you he's the best thing since sliced bread. Was that a Southlake big money donor?? Was it some Dodge HS fanboy? WAS IT SOMEONE WITH CREDENTIALS WHO KNOWS HOW TO EVALUATE COLLEGE COACHES? Again, even I succumbed to that hype.

Here's the deal. I'm a fan, an idiot when it comes to that kind of thing, you shouldn't listen to my opinions, you (RV and the UNT pres. at the time) should listen to MANY opinions of other college coaches in the know. Surely some people at other college programs would have said, "dude, don't do it, it's a BAD IDEA". He's a HS coach that kind of thing just doesn't work out.

Again, the judgement of the AD needs to be calm, collective reasoning. Taking opinions from many and then making the right call based on all of it.