Public Negativity

tylermeangreen

It used to be fun to read – I used to access it multiple times a day as a source of recreation. I enjoyed the varied opinions regarding UNT and its athletic programs.

unfortunately the fact that this has never existed om GMG is exactly why the negativity has moved in so quickly

there has never been an allowance for "varied" opinions on this forum much less a discussion based on anything close to facts or reality

homerism, smoke up the butt blowing, green shunshine pumping, green koolaid and "the sleeping giant is going to awake and dominate" is all that has ever been allowed and when all that comes crashing down there will be a large % of those types that are angry their unbridled and ridiculous expectations are not met and they want someones head for that because of course they were 100% right that if things were done exactly how they wanted or imagined (even if their imagination was void of reality) then north Texas would be competing with the Cowboys for season ticket holders, taking fans from TCU, and joining the B1G or SEC or maybe having to settle for the Big 12

same with basketball.....ignoring the "team" was made up of guys that transferred in, guys that were not taking care of academics, and guys that could not deliver in the Sunbelt tournament and that with all the "success" north Texas had only been to 2 NCAA tournaments and lost in the first round of each.....then the coaching change.....but yet all these pieces were going to come together and just thrash the Sunbelt and probably make it to the round of 32 or maybe even the sweet 16 where anything could happen from there......instead we see the reality that coaching matters, it is hard to fit pieces into a team, and that players that leave other places for various reasons are often a risk and have trouble living up to their long ago expectations and hype

same thing happening with BB at QB next year.....he has not played a down in two years......bounced all over the place without ever really even attempting to compete, but he is just going to light it up next year in a new conference that is suppose to be a move up from the Sunbelt

having a conversation based on reality and on the fact that decades of apathy and ignoring athletics is not going to be turned around for the long haul in a season or two especially when you are just catching up to the lower/middle levels of NCAA sports in terms of financials and facilities fan and alumni support is still well below where north Texas sunshine pumpers consider it to be or should be is reacted to angrily and the "cool" GIFs and MEMEs come out and the other stupid comments from fools and then when things don't work out those same fools with the MEMEs and GIFs go even crazier

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

having a conversation based on reality and on the fact that decades of apathy and ignoring athletics is not going to be turned around for the long haul in a season or two especially when you are just catching up to the lower/middle levels of NCAA sports in terms of financials and facilities fan and alumni support is still well below where north Texas sunshine pumpers consider it to be or should be is reacted to angrily and the "cool" GIFs and MEMEs come out and the other stupid comments from fools and then when things don't work out those same fools with the MEMEs and GIFs go even crazier

c5CQJ.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I'm pretty certain we're complaing so much because we want success from our school. I love my University. Like most here, I'm a member of the Alumni Association and the Mean Green Club.

But if the product stinks, you better believe I'm going to BOO at games and complain on message boards. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop coming, doesn't mean I'm going to start bleeding another color.. It just means I'm going to be pissed at those that are keeping us from being successful.

This is the largest public venue to share opinions. I can't help that basically everybody else on the board wants success and demands results.

I shall keep on demanding excellence.

• Upvote 4

A good post and I hear where you are coming from. I can tell you from experience, when we are winning or progressing there is plenty of optimism on here. When we are losing and we are down, it just breed negativity. I don't think of this as a GMG phenomenon though. This place is about fans and their opinions and we can't filter that. If you want 100% positive check out MeanGreenSports.com.

Tyler... It could be worse, the negativity isn't so bad... It's when people stop talking altogether that you should be worried... Take a trip over to Texags or shaggy bevo and see what the moods are like after a loss or a 7-5 football season. It'll look pretty familiar, and they have a lot more to be cheering about than we do

• Upvote 4

I've seen this "tell your complaints to the AD directly" line trotted out several times by several people. It fails to account for one key thing though...many don't believe there is a receptive ear over there. Even if the message is heard the faith just isn't there that a standard of constant improvement, and not simply drawing a check M-F, exists.

And this "We'll all remember who was sunshine pumping and who wasn't" crap is comical. What are you gonna do? Ban the negative people from being in the MGC? You gonna void our season tickets? Refuse admittance at games to the very people who post here BECAUSE they take the time to attend games and give a shit?! I'm about to pee on myself from laughter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Even as the Football season disappointed, we all thought we had a groundbreaking year in basketball to look forward to, but we have received a double teeth-kick with the way basketball has gone.

At least there are people here that care.

I'm not going to waste mine, but especially their, time calling the AD to tell them "Hey, we aren't good at sports. You need to make us better at sports." That is pretty pointless, don't you think? Don't you think they have anything better to do than waste time listening to people that really don't know what is going on? Because we don't.

And since we don't, we can only judge by results. The results ain't been good.

We should just be glad that people are still around and interested.

• Upvote 7

I have a suggestion why not separate the message board into sections. One for the real fans who think message boards really matter and real fans don't ever get negative. Another for those that just want to "bitch and moan". Lets not have any debate because that is not constructive. Instead, lets bellyache about those posters who do not agree with our view rather than present any support for our particular viewpoint.

• Upvote 2

The fact of the matter is that winning changes moods. We simply need to turn that corner in both major sports because that is the only thing that will change the tone. Now I did not understand the sometimes negative tone at the banquet the other night. It felt misplaced. However in a way it was a good sign, because the AD and this football team feel pressure to win. They are practically begging for patience in a youtube world. It isn't going to happen. You also can't slow down social media and opinions unless we were posting in North Korea or China. It is what it is and with speed of communication comes the speed of expectation.

Git her done Mac!

GMG

• Upvote 1

This is a place for fans to come and discuss UNT sports, whether its positive or negative. Some of us aren't butt buddies with the AD so we'll speak our mind. Like someone said earlier, if you want rainbows and sunshine go check out meangreensports

And if we're not bud's with those in charge, how could any of this be construed as personal or at the vendetta level? On the other side of that coin, being "buds" is the very thing that could create a bias along with an unending approval for any staffer at UNT no matter what their record is up there in "Little D."

To me it's the still about those who get hired to create success (not just keep promising it) is what you look at after they are given a fair enough time to make it happen. Let's face a blatant fact here, North Texas more than any other NCAA FBS level program I've observed in 40 plus years of being a college football fan gives more than ample time for one to succeed or fail.

And as for as this message board is concerned..............America has this 2'nd Amendment thing been going on for about 300 years now that most of us still really appreciate. If we all agreed about everything on GMG.com, Harry would have had to have found another hobby.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

How far back do you suggest to go to start finding the non negative threads?

2004?

Hell, back in 2004, following 4-straight conference championships, there was still bitching-and-moaning. "Dickey calls too many draws!', "Villareal wouldn't let me in the VIP suite!", "Our coach doesn't appreciate the $15 I gave to the program this year!", "Dickey doesn't even try to win the out-of-conference games!". "Whine, whimper, whimper...".

4 straight championships, 4 straight SBC coach-of-the-year awards & there were still people on this board who were calling for a new football coach. They got what they deserved.

Grrrrrrr!

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3

Even as the Football season disappointed, we all thought we had a groundbreaking year in basketball to look forward to, but we have received a double teeth-kick with the way basketball has gone.

At least there are people here that care.

I'm not going to waste mine, but especially their, time calling the AD to tell them "Hey, we aren't good at sports. You need to make us better at sports." That is pretty pointless, don't you think? Don't you think they have anything better to do than waste time listening to people that really don't know what is going on? Because we don't.

And since we don't, we can only judge by results. The results ain't been good.

We should just be glad that people are still around and interested.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to schedule my 15 minute gripe session with RV for Friday at 2:00pm... it was the first time he could fit me in because of all of the other MGC members who are also scheduling gripe sessions with him "in private".

Honest questions for those of you who don't like the "public negativity"... Are you satisfied with how the football team did this season? Are you satisfied with what the basketball team is doing so far this season?

If you're satisfied, you must have extremely low expectations for the Mean Green. This should be unacceptable and you are part of the problem.

If you're not satisfied, and you have an ear with Rick V, then fantastic!! Guess what? He probably doesnt need you or any of us to vent directly to him unless you're going to write checks to instantly fix the issues.

I am a Rick V fan. I have faith that Rick understands exactly what is going on. I don't believe he's sitting idly by, but he doesn't have the finances of a UT/A&M to rectify the issues. The last thing he needs is tons of people talking to him "in private" just to vent frustrations and propose fixes without financial backing. What good does that do?

Harry has created a fan message board for fans to vent frustrations as well as herald successes! THANK YOU HARRY!!

We've had some successes this year. We've also had some failures. The fan base reacts to both equally. We're FANS!! And the great thing is... Rick V and staff, don't have to read this board if they don't want to and would be free to work on the things they need to address.

• Upvote 1

I know things haven't been the greatest as far as RV is concerned, but I still do miss posts from Glad to Be Green. There were some nuggets one could pull from his coded responses. We took what we liked and left the rest. So. GTBG - if you are reading this. Please give us some hope? ... Please?

• Upvote 2