Brock Berglund

Harry

If these recruitment stars meant crap in the real world, or in the NFL, Tom Brady sucks. A lot of the scouting info is political. Don't kid yourselves.

Getting higher ranked players who actually have offers from other FBS schools does matter, don't kid yourself.

There are exceptions to everything, but out recruiting your competition and getting the players you both want pays off over time. Some 4 and 5 stars turn out to be busts, some 2 stars turn out to be first-round picks, but those are EXCEPTIONS.

• Upvote 1

Getting higher ranked players who actually have offers from other FBS schools does matter, don't kid yourself.

There are exceptions to everything, but out recruiting your competition and getting the players you both want pays off over time. Some 4 and 5 stars turn out to be busts, some 2 stars turn out to be first-round picks, but those are EXCEPTIONS.

Read my post. It's political. School boosters lobbying, High School coaches lobbying, playing time, Sports writers, location, college coaches word of mouth, college coaches laughable job security/loyalty (ask Tech), camps, and the list could go on. So yes, don't kid yourselves. These rankings aren't the end all be all. The politics in football are everywhere in this sport. Hell, any sport.

Pretty much everyone gets multiple offers. I know I did before choosing UNT. Additionally, most all the scholarship guys I played with were in the same boat. Worrying about what division someone is being recruited by is hardly a grand measuring stick. I won't bother explaing how much talent is in D1AA either. (I refuse to call the divisions FBS, ect...)

As far as who turns out really good, Captain Obvious, any player going to the NFL is the exception. As far as busts, they happen every day. So do injuries or not reaching potential. There are tons of reasons why some players don't pan out.

Finally, I mentioned Brady because of his draft position in the NFL. The scouts weren't very impressed with him, hense his draft position. Boy were they wrong on him and countless others.

Edited by UNTexas

Read my post. It's political. School boosters lobbying, High School coaches lobbying, playing time, Sports writers, location, college coaches word of mouth, college coaches laughable job security/loyalty (ask Tech), camps, and the list could go on. So yes, don't kid yourselves. These rankings aren't the end all be all. The politics in football are everywhere in this sport. Hell, any sport.

Pretty much everyone gets multiple offers. I know I did before choosing UNT. Additionally, most all the scholarship guys I played with were in the same boat. Worrying about what division someone is being recruited by is hardly a grand measuring stick. I won't bother explaing how much talent is in D1AA either. (I refuse to call the divisions FBS, ect...)

As far as who turns out really good, Captain Obvious, where's your cape? Any player going to the NFL is the exception. I can even say it without capital letters. As far as busts, they happen every day. So do injuries or not reaching potential. There are tons of reasons why some players don't pan out.

Finally, I mentioned Brady because of his draft position in the NFL. The scouts weren't very impressed with him, hense his draft position. Boy were they wrong on him and countless others.

Slow your roll chief, don't get too butt hurt. My point was that outrecruiting players from other teams who want that player also helps in the long run. Look at our current committments' offer list and you'll see that a lot of them just have us.

I agree with you to a point about the star system that recruiting sites use. It does have a lot to do with politics, such as a 3-star committing to Texas then getting bumped to 4 even though he has the same film.

The more important measuring bar is what other college coaches and programs have offered that player.

If we're stuck getting the players that nobody else wanted, then we can only be so good. Exceptions come around at too low percentages to have to count on them panning out.

As for Brady, he didn't start playing quarterback until his sophomore year of high school, so he had a long way to go as far as college readiness. That's a major reason why his production in college was not too impressive, thus causing him to get picked low in the draft.

So, you come here and pick on UNT fans and you brag about it on KillerFrogs? Get a life and leave the UNT fans alone. You are just sad...

FroggyStyle probably lives with his Mom at home and curls up with his Justin Bieber posters and dolls for "fun".

Thus the need to work so hard for attention.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Slow your roll chief, don't get too butt hurt. My point was that outrecruiting players from other teams who want that player also helps in the long run. Look at our current committments' offer list and you'll see that a lot of them just have us.

I agree with you to a point about the star system that recruiting sites use. It does have a lot to do with politics, such as a 3-star committing to Texas then getting bumped to 4 even though he has the same film.

The more important measuring bar is what other college coaches and programs have offered that player.

If we're stuck getting the players that nobody else wanted, then we can only be so good. Exceptions come around at too low percentages to have to count on them panning out.

As for Brady, he didn't start playing quarterback until his sophomore year of high school, so he had a long way to go as far as college readiness. That's a major reason why his production in college was not too impressive, thus causing him to get picked low in the draft.

Not butt hurt, just sarcastic in general. I don't see a huge problem with someone not being recruited by other D1 schools at the moment. I trust the coach's ability to judge talent in a player. Players could have also flat out said no to even a recruiting trip, therefore, not getting the offer. (I did this to a school by saying no to a visit. I was from the same town and refused to go to school in that awful city.) There is no way of knowing what is going on with every individual or what his situation is. In the end it all goes on the shoulders of the Head Coach because his recruiting will either get him a bonus or fired.

What was Tom doing his freshman year?

Not butt hurt, just sarcastic in general. I don't see a huge problem with someone not being recruited by other D1 schools at the moment. I trust the coach's ability to judge talent in a player. Players could have also flat out said no to even a recruiting trip, therefore, not getting the offer. (I did this to a school by saying no to a visit. I was from the same town and refused to go to school in that awful city.) There is no way of knowing what is going on with every individual or what his situation is. In the end it all goes on the shoulders of the Head Coach because his recruiting will either get him a bonus or fired.

What was Tom doing his freshman year?

The thing about coach Mac's recruiting is that it seems he is going after the guys he wants, they just happen to not have very many other offers. I don't know how often situations like you referenced happen to him though, where players decline his official visit offers.

As for Brady, I read that he played more defense his freshman year on the freshman team behind some dude who quit for the basketball team the next year.

I am not into the semantics of the difference between getting player X who has 1 FBS offer vs Y with multiple FCS offers.

I'm worried that we are seemingly targeting only that area when others on our schedule are consistently targeting 2+ stars across the board, complete with multiple CUSA-level offers and SEC transfers. And they seem to get them, while we are not even trying.

Then some of y'all trust our coach so blindly, that you are willing to overlook these trends because - oh! - "he is targeting players that fit his system".

Then we win 5 games in 4 years. Or 1 game LESS in MAC's sophomore season.

I think we win 4 - 6 games next season. But I thought everyone around here was hoping for 7+ year-in-and-out.

• Downvote 1

I am not into the semantics of the difference between getting player X who has 1 FBS offer vs Y with multiple FCS offers.

I'm worried that we are seemingly targeting only that area when others on our schedule are consistently targeting 2+ stars across the board, complete with multiple CUSA-level offers and SEC transfers. And they seem to get them, while we are not even trying.

Then some of y'all trust our coach so blindly, that you are willing to overlook these trends because - oh! - "he is targeting players that fit his system".

Then we win 5 games in 4 years. Or 1 game LESS in MAC's sophomore season.

I think we win 4 - 6 games next season. But I thought everyone around here was hoping for 7+ year-in-and-out.

Look at who we have offered. Maybe that will make you feel better until you realize they are signing with the Oklahoma States, Utahs, etc... of the world. So where does that leave us? Finding these players that can develop and grow into the players we need. Just the way it is.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
I agree. And I dont think anyone is saying that he IS entitled to anything because of his star status because we have all seen plenty of busts with stars. However, I think the excitement around him is because of the play we had this year at QB, and the glaring need for improvement at that position. If he lives up to his star status, then we have that improvement. He just has to go out and work for it... and I bet he will.
I have seen Brock and talked with him and he knows the job is not his but knows that it is his for the taking.mac coaches with a style that no posistion is safe. He preaches to his guys that he the best player will start and play. No favorites.
  • Upvote 1