Brock Berglund

Harry

I hope he is what we hope he is.

Yep, that's always the concern when your top candidate for (insert name of position here) is running mainly on hype.The more hype I hear about someone before they actually play one down of spring ball, the more nervous I get. For example, seems like there is a fair amount of hype about some O-linemen that arrived here a year or so ago. Where are they in the starting rotation?

I much prefer to go to spring practices and/or the spring game, and say "Wow! Who the hell is that?" than ask "so, what's all the hype about?"

I believe that a certain Heisman Trophy candidate fell more into the "wow, who the hell is that?" category this last spring.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, that's always the concern when your top candidate for (insert name of position here) is running mainly on hype.The more hype I hear about someone before they actually play one down of spring ball, the more nervous I get. For example, seems like there is a fair amount of hype about some O-linemen that arrived here a year or so ago. Where are they in the starting rotation?

I much prefer to go to spring practices and/or the spring game, and say "Wow! Who the hell is that?" than ask "so, what's all the hype about?"

I believe that a certain Heisman Trophy candidate fell more into the "wow, who the hell is that?" category this last spring.

Sorry, Bill but with that perspective we'll never get a 4-star athlete and maybe no more threes. Hidden gems do happen but I'm not sure that either of us have enough time left on this earth to wait for that.

Berglund had plenty of schools to choose from when he chose Kansas. We also know that he's a very good scout team quarterback. I think that he'll be great but we see so very few highly-rated players, particularly quarterbacks, that we're in uncharted waters.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 5

Sorry, Bill but with that perspective we'll never get a 4-star athlete and maybe no more threes. Hidden gems do happen but I'm not sure that either of us have enough time left on this earth to wait for that.

Berglund had plenty of schools to choose from when he chose Kansas. We also know that he's a very good scout team quarterback. I think that he'll be great but we see so very few highly-rated players, particularly quarterbacks, that we're in uncharted waters.

+1. Players leave programs all the time due to coaching changes and (at least) perceived changes in the pecking order of recruits who committed to the previous regimes. If we can't take a flyer on guys with this kind of potential, unrealized as it may be, we'll never get the rewards from taking risks.

• Upvote 2

+1. Players leave programs all the time due to coaching changes and (at least) perceived changes in the pecking order of recruits who committed to the previous regimes. If we can't take a flyer on guys with this kind of potential, unrealized as it may be, we'll never get the rewards from taking risks.

Saw Berglund for first time at FB Banquet--easy to recognize as he was the one with the large "S" on his chest

• Upvote 5

I have not problem bringing in a Berglund type recruit or transfer at the QB position. I just want some insurance in the way of a capable backup or two. I hope McCarney sees that too and brings in a couple of legitimate QB's from the high schools ranks in this recruiting class.

Yep, and he darn sure would not have won the Heisman under Sherman (who recruited him) at A&M. Mainzel is obviously a great qb who was the perfect fit for Sumlin's system. Add in the fact that nobody gave the Aggies any chance to be competitive in the SEC this year also helped him win as well. So, the pieces all came together for a historical moment in college football. Very cool!

The only people who gave the Aggies no chance are those who hoped against hope that their severing ties with UT and joining a superior football conference would lead to ruin.

And man, Mack really missed the bus on that Manziel guy. I can't imagine him ever having made a boneheaded mistake like that before. *cough* Robert Griffin *cough*

I have not problem bringing in a Berglund type recruit or transfer at the QB position. I just want some insurance in the way of a capable backup or two. I hope McCarney sees that too and brings in a couple of legitimate QB's from the high schools ranks in this recruiting class.

Naturally I don't have a problem bringing in ANY transfer. After all, my favorite QB, Jordan Case, was a transfer. The problem I have with the "hype" issue is that it gives the player in question (in this case a QB) the feeling/belief that the job is his, and all he has to do is just show up and he's the starter. In addition, if another QB out there with equal (or possibly better) abilities looks at the hype and says "well, this doesn't look like a situation where there is open competition, I think I'll go somewhere else", then we potentially lose out on some good depth at QB....which is your issue Phil.

I want NT to be known as a school where your real ability as a football player is rewarded......not your recruitment "star" status.

Naturally I don't have a problem bringing in ANY transfer. After all, my favorite QB, Jordan Case, was a transfer. The problem I have with the "hype" issue is that it gives the player in question (in this case a QB) the feeling/belief that the job is his, and all he has to do is just show up and he's the starter. In addition, if another QB out there with equal (or possibly better) abilities looks at the hype and says "well, this doesn't look like a situation where there is open competition, I think I'll go somewhere else", then we potentially lose out on some good depth at QB....which is your issue Phil.

I want NT to be known as a school where your real ability as a football player is rewarded......not your recruitment "star" status.

If Berglund doesn't come in here with a feeling/belief that the job is his, then he's not worth the recruitment. I highly doubt he feels like all he has to do is "show up". If he's not working hard, that will certainly show up in his performance during spring practice.

If Berglund doesn't come in here with a feeling/belief that the job is his, then he's not worth the recruitment. I highly doubt he feels like all he has to do is "show up". If he's not working hard, that will certainly show up in his performance during spring practice.

I don't have a problem with "should be" and then he goes to work to prove it. But I do have a problem with "is"....as in he is entitled to the job just by virtue of his recruitment star status.

I truly believe that Berglund will be the difference next year in us winning 6+ games, assuming most variables stay in play between now and next year on a personnel standpoint (health, eligibility, development, etc..) Coach Mac and Chico should have the QB they need next year if he can play to his abilities and not get in any trouble.

• Upvote 2

I don't have a problem with "should be" and then he goes to work to prove it. But I do have a problem with "is"....as in he is entitled to the job just by virtue of his recruitment star status.

I agree.

And I dont think anyone is saying that he IS entitled to anything because of his star status because we have all seen plenty of busts with stars. However, I think the excitement around him is because of the play we had this year at QB, and the glaring need for improvement at that position. If he lives up to his star status, then we have that improvement. He just has to go out and work for it... and I bet he will.

Ok, for those of us that have only been casually following this. What was the main reason that BB chose NT over other schools?

Because we were the only ones that would let him late-enroll with a scholarship after practicing in the fall with a JUCO team?

Question. Some info.