La. Tech AD Letter

Harry

Dear Bulldog Nation,

As you are aware, the Louisiana Tech football team with a 9-3 record was not selected to participate in a bowl game this season. All

of us are tremendously disappointed for the team, especially the 32 seniors, who will not receive an opportunity to represent the school

one more time on the football field.

I hope this letter will help you understand the timeline as well as provide accurate information regarding the bowl selection process.

We entered this season knowing that the WAC had just one bowl agreement and the champion of the conference would participate in

that designated bowl. Since we were not conference champions, we were in the at-large pool looking for a bowl that might have an

opening. This is one of the reasons it was so important for us to receive an invitation to Conference USA for next season. Conference

USA has contracts with fi ve bowl games.

Working closely with both the commissioners of the WAC and CUSA, we were told by the Heart of Dallas Bowl and Liberty Bowl

there was interest in having Louisiana Tech play in these games. The possibility of an offer from both bowls was strong, but hinged on

the Big 12 getting two teams into the BCS, which meant, for the most part, that Oklahoma and Kansas State needed to win and Kent

State needed to lose.

On Thursday, November 29th we signed a written agreement with the Liberty Bowl that we would play in their game if no Big 12

Conference school was available.

The Independence Bowl, which had issued an invitation to Louisiana Tech on Thursday, called Saturday morning and said they needed

a decision before the end of the Oklahoma game. I told them I needed to confer with our head coach and president before making a

commitment. At no time did anyone turn the bowl invitation down, we simply asked for more time.

Collectively, we decided the chance to play on New Year’s Day in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, if we were traded from the Liberty Bowl

to the Heart of Dallas Bowl or in the Liberty Bowl, was a special opportunity for our program and a logical next step since we had

played in the Independence Bowl and Poinsettia Bowl in recent years.

We decided to ask the Independence Bowl to give us the day, Saturday, to see how the games played out so we could have all the information

we needed to make the best possible decision for the university and program. This was communicated to the Independence

Bowl Saturday morning.

I spoke with the Liberty Bowl later Saturday morning and told them we were being asked to make a decision by the Independence

Bowl and I needed to know their decision. They told me and WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd that the Liberty Bowl would invite LA

Tech to the Liberty Bowl regardless if a Big 12 school was available.

The Independence Bowl called back Saturday afternoon and told LA Tech they had moved on to an agreement with the Mid-American

Conference.

Kent State had lost their game Friday night and on Saturday both OU and KSU won their games. We felt there was a strong chance

the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS thereby placing us in the Liberty Bowl or the Heart of Dallas Bowl game.

On Sunday, NIU was moved up to 15th in the BCS, knocking OU out of the BCS Sugar Bowl and pushing all the Big 12 teams down

a notch and fi lling up the Heart of Dallas Bowl with a representative from the Big 12. Iowa State, a member of the Big 12, was left

without a contracted bowl game, entered the at-large pool and was taken by the Liberty Bowl, eliminating that spot for Louisiana

Tech. This occurred despite the Liberty Bowl committing to both LA Tech and the Commissioner of the WAC on Saturday they

would select LA Tech.

We felt every step of the way we were doing what is in the best interest of the program and student athletes. No one is pleased with

the outcome but at least now you are accurately informed of what transpired.

Sincerely,

Bruce Van De Velde

Athletic Director

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/latc...etter2.pdf

Condensed Statement -

We got cocky and ended up with nothing. Not only did we miss the Bowl we missed the extra practice time that comes with it.

P.S. – No matter what you hear this had nothing to do with ULM (we just knew the bigger bowls would want us)

Bottom Line – La Tech administration (not the fans) looks like a complete group of idiots and that they were scared to play ULM – SPIN IT HOWEVER YOU WANT

• Upvote 2

It's like picking up women at the bar. Sometimes there are 3 ways it plays out

1) You can take the sure thing home

2) You can pass on the sure thing in hopes the hotter one from earlier in the night will accept your invite, even though the sure thing's saying she's ready to go back to your place now.

3) You pass up the sure thing hoping for better, who ends up leaving the bar with someone taller, richer, and better looking then you. And leaving you alone at the end of the night explaining to your friends why you passed up the sure thing.

• Upvote 2

2) You can pass on the sure thing in hopes the hotter one from earlier in the night will accept your invite, even though the sure thing's saying she's ready to go back to your place now.

3) You pass up the sure thing hoping for better, who ends up leaving the bar with someone taller, richer, and better looking then you. And leaving you alone at the end of the night explaining to your friends why you passed up the sure thing.

Now this.....is an analogy

Oh, I see...now, it's the Liberty Bowl's fault. The Liberty Bowl are just a pack of liars. Can't trust 'em.

Bwaaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha!

Can't wait to beat the Bulldogs next season!

Tomorrow you will see a letter from the Liberty Bowl completely denying this version of events.

Now this.....is an analogy

Well, sort of. But a real NORTH TEXAS STUD GRADUATE WOULD TAKE ALL THREE OF THEM HOME!

They are lucky not to have to be embarrassed on national and regional cable television by the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

Bruce Van De Velde, rather than writing a cover-your-ass letter, should take out a full page in the New York Times and thank the Liberty Bowl for not putting his school in what was certain to be an enbarrassing on field situation for them against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

The only thing as powerful as a Golden Hurricane, even if only temporarily, is a Cyclone anyway. They will not have had their chance to take a shot at giving it a try because of the thoughtfulness of the Liberty Bowl.

They should not have signed any contract last Thursday that had an open invitation to take it in the rear. That was their stupid mistake right then and there. It should have been a solid contractual agreement to play or nothing at all, especially knowing there was interest from three different bowls.

Lesson learned: Believe in yourself and the program you work for and dont take a back-seat approach with anything.

Rick

While I think its content is total and complete BS, I do somewhat respect their attempt at transparency. I also wish they would have just grown a pair, gave ULM a good butt kicking, and move on.

If you believe they are lying, how is lying being transparent? Isn't it just the opposite?

Questions. No info.

They are lucky not to have to be embarrassed on national and regional cable television by the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

Bruce Van De Velde, rather than writing a cover-your-ass letter, should take out a full page in the New York Times and thank the Liberty Bowl for not putting his school in what was certain to be an enbarrassing on field situation for them against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

The only thing as powerful as a Golden Hurricane, even if only temporarily, is a Cyclone anyway. They will not have had their chance to take a shot at giving it a try because of the thoughtfulness of the Liberty Bowl.

Clearly, you are not a Tulsa grad. ;)

I think the Big XII made it clear to the Liberty Bowl that they needed to take Iowa State. They travel well and the conference will probably help ISU with tickets. La Tech's poor ass didn't have any of those advantages. Plus, I'm sure that the Liberty Bowl was probably thinking that it would make more sense to be friendly with the Big XII now, if for nothing else than to get future considerations from the Big XII. Telling the WAC commissioner that they had a deal and then backing out is akin to a skinny band dude asking a cheerleader to go to Prom, only to find out that a guy on the football team wanted to go to Prom with her, too. In the end, there's just not much the skinny band kid can do other than face the music...

I think the Big XII made it clear to the Liberty Bowl that they needed to take Iowa State. They travel well and the conference will probably help ISU with tickets. La Tech's poor ass didn't have any of those advantages. Plus, I'm sure that the Liberty Bowl was probably thinking that it would make more sense to be friendly with the Big XII now, if for nothing else than to get future considerations from the Big XII. Telling the WAC commissioner that they had a deal and then backing out is akin to a skinny band dude asking a cheerleader to go to Prom, only to find out that a guy on the football team wanted to go to Prom with her, too. In the end, there's just not much the skinny band kid can do other than face the music...

What if that skinny musician was Buddy Holly? Receiver split out wide?

And the La Tech leaves for Cal the day after the letter gets around. Maybe he didn't want to be held back by a bowl game! That would explain a LOT.

Or, maybe the bowl turn down just helpped him decide to leave...my guess, however, is that the bowl situation had much less to do with Dykes' decision to leave than his new coaching salary at Cal and a PAC 10 head copaching slot did.

• Upvote 2

Or, maybe the bowl turn down just helpped him decide to leave...my guess, however, is that the bowl situation had much less to do with Dykes' decision to leave than his new coaching salary at Cal and a PAC 10 head copaching slot did.

Don't forget 31 graduating seniors which made this is get out now or never year.

• Upvote 1