It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

We out rebounded them by 7, otherwise I agree. Another telling stat, 7 assists for us compared to 14 for them...on the same amount of made buckets. Tells me we are not getting shots off of ball movement...

I attribute our high rebound numbers to how often we had east layups under the basket missed, followed by a circus show of offensive rebounds and missed put back attempts that seemed to go on forever.

• Upvote 1

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

Don't see how that is on Coach Benford.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

You do realize that NT just got beat at home by a 2-5 team playing almost all freshmen and sophomores. Might add that a 6'9 freshman scored what 25 and looked a lot better than NT's lottery pick.

• Upvote 3

Time for Benford to go. This is unacceptable. I've seen enough. No benefit of the doubt anymore. Done. 3-5. With Tony Mitchell and Chris Jones.

A basketball coach has a myriad of responsibilities that include the importance of being a moral, upstanding role model for the players on his team.

The best teams have chemistry. They communicate with each other and they sacrifice personal glory for the common goal. A coach is not only a role model but also a mentor and teacher.

A basketball coach will mold and develop his team as people as well as athletes. He is responsible for his players the same way a schoolteacher or parent is responsible.

Will the coach take the responsibility or just let things keep sliding?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just for the record, the administration is firmly in Benford's camp. I emailed a handful of them tonight with my concerns. RV called me tonight to talk to me about it. To sum up a little of what he said: the lack of a solid three-point shooter hurts us down low, he doesn't feel like Tony Mitchell is pulling his weight, he thinks the coaching staff does have the respect of the players, he feels the players have some immaturity issues, and their own agendas. I also got a reply from Hank Dickenson that is was the broadcasters' decision not to hold out for Coach Benford and he was "not ducking anything." RV assured me that he talked with Benford tonight about making himself available for the post-game shows. He said that would change.

*shrug* At least they heard me and acknowledged the concerns I expressed. Thought ya'll may want to know.

You expect anything different from the people who hired Benford. I think it is still too early to give up on Benford or the team, but a bunch of bs excuses from RV means nothing and if he really mentioned MItchell in that manner; it was a very bad mistake for an AD.

Also, the decision by the broadcast group was made after he didn't show up and they decided not to wing it or have dead air way past the planned broadcast.

• Upvote 1

Tony will still be a lotto pick this year. NBA drafts on potential and he has plenty.

Tony was out of the paint a decent amount tonight. He and Franklin were setting high picks for CJ a lot. CJ never gave him the ball and obvisouly in the post he was denied. We have to learn to win without Tony because everyone is gunning for him. He is our best player but he may need his role adjusted. Or yes the game plan could be tweaked more. But with himout of the paint where do we get offensive rebounds from and second chance points?

I love this. Basically the claim here is that CJ--who had a great game--is responsible for lack of production from Tony. I don't know if you've watched all the other games this season, but Chris Jones is the most willing guy on the team to sacrifice points for assists. If those plays had been there, he'd have made them. UNT was running high picks, but it was basically just a weave outside the point line. This is all on Benford. If this is the offense--which it appears that it is--then this will be a long painful season and probably the last that I buy season tickets to.

This is the most talented team we've had in forever and we're 3 and 5. Would we be 3 and 5 if JJ were still coach... just think about it.

• Upvote 3

I love this. Basically the claim here is that CJ--who had a great game--is responsible for lack of production from Tony. I don't know if you've watched all the other games this season, but Chris Jones is the most willing guy on the team to sacrifice points for assists. If those plays had been there, he'd have made them. UNT was running high picks, but it was basically just a weave outside the point line. This is all on Benford. If this is the offense--which it appears that it is--then this will be a long painful season and probably the last that I buy season tickets to.

This is the most talented team we've had in forever and we're 3 and 5. Would we be 3 and 5 if JJ were still coach... just think about it.

I believe his LSU team who he never coached before is undefeated. Just saying. I know he left but I think that should say seething to the folks that say give it a year.

• Upvote 1

We'd probably be 5-3 if we had no coaches. The most disorganized team that I've seen above the AA charter school level. Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what team or games you're watching Andrew. Is some blame on players? Yes of course by default there will have to be some blame but this team is not as bad as their record is indicating and their play is showing. They can't defend, can't run plays, play horrible defense, non existent perimeter defense, can't shoot, can't make chippy point blank layups, can't consistently have ball control, when they hustle for a ball and get it they will have it stolen on them and the list can go on. This team has not played like this in about 5-6 years. It's ok to have a game or 2 where you don't have it and are checked out but this is an 8 game sampling at this point. This isn't the NBA where you have 8 preseason games and 82 regular season games to figure crap out. You have 28 or so games to position yourself in a conference tourney and hope you can win it because we're not getting two SBC to the dance. This is clearly coaching and preparation. I am one that always favors backing the coach in the beginning but in this case for this season not a chance in hell. Benford should go and needs to go.

This team seems all screwed up from being overcoached by Benford and staff. His constant rotation is an example. The worst thing that happened this year was when the NCAA allowed coaches to conduct 2 weekly practices during the summer. These guys had developed better chemistry on their own from last year and during off season pickup games. Every offensive play is a struggle and they are very uncomfortable with their defensive assignments. This time last year we would have seen at least 10 ally oops from Chris Jones to Jorgan and/or Mitchell. I can't recall any thus far. Another example of overcoaching is moving your huddle out toward the free throw line during timeouts. (3,000 folks in the building) Why? These guys are having to think too much instead of playing naturally. They don't know who's going to be in the game, how long and what their individual responsibilities are.

We have some athletes on the team but most aren't great basketball players. It seems our early disappointment is from the Rival ratings and You tube video's. We have lost to teams with less pub but better basketball players.

As been stated, Benford is not going anywhere anytime soon. I just hope he can find an 8 man rotation that he can live with and allow those guys suffficient time on the floor together. (A rule of thumb coach is to not take a guy out unless he is tired or in foul trouble)

• Upvote 2

Seriously? We result to name calling. Could you do a better job?

My point is this. Give the man a year! How did we get our expectations for this year? Yahoo news.... Ball is life videos.... Si articles.... We had a decent season last year, not great. Granted we had a ton of returning starters we lost our coach and all the players had to mesh.

Name one thing he did that was wrong tonight? This is not targeted at you but just in general for anyone who went to the game.

I don't think anyone here is denying that Benford probably knows his basketball, but considering the caliber of players he inherited he must of known to some extent that his job would come under scrutiny with a losing record.

If you consider the teams performance last year with a severely short roster, he should of known that having a full deck for this season would also increase the level of expectation.

Benford may very well be an excellent head coach, unfortunately for him, he took a position with an implied instant success contingency and I think he knew that...

KRAM you are 100% correct!

I am waiting for someone who went to the game tonight to point out where Benford was wrong. I do not know what happens in practice but on the court he seems to know what to do.

1 - substituting the entire world into the game every 2 minutes, I am pretty sure some of the fans ended up playing a few minutes for us too. I am all for a long bench to start the season, but lets get our best 7-8 and let them get into a rhythm. Let the starters play.

2- gave up 80 points to ULALA???? We didn't lose because of free throws, we lost because of bad defense, thats on the coach in my book.

3- Terrible play to end the first half that benford took a timeout to draw up. We had plenty of time to get a good shot, we end up having to force a shot that doesn't even get close to the backboard.

4- down by 2 at the end of the game, we are a terrible 3 point shooting team, so what do we run, we throw up a 3 and miss it. Benford either called a bad play or didn't call one and left if up to the players.

THEY'RE HIS F*{^|€NG PLAYERS. HE WAS BROUGHT IN TO COACH THESE PLAYERS. THESE PLAYERS WERE BETTER LAST YEAR UNDER A COACH THAT COACHED THEM. WE CAN EITHER BELIEVE THAT ALL OF THESE PLAYERS HAVE TURNED INTO BASKETBALL MORONS IN A SINGLE OFFSEASON OR THAT THE COACHING SUCKS BALLS.

HOW UNLUCKY FOR BENFORD TO GET HIS BIG COACHING BREAK THE SAME SEASON THAT AN ENTIRE ROSTER OF PLAYERS MIRACULOUSLY LOST THEIR BASKETBALL ABILITY OVER SUMMER BREAK!!!!!

WHAT ARE THE ODDS??????

It has happened before...

SpaceJam_display_image.jpg?1350695156

• Upvote 3

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

Don't see how that is on Coach Benford.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

Poorly coached teams usually don't shoot free throws well. How many are they shooting in practice?

This team doesn't defend, allowing over 70 points in every loss this year), is lost offensively (although they look better last night), are terrible on the boards, and have very little transnational offense.. Benford named all of these as a point of emphasis when he was hired.

He has failed miserably.

When a talented team who was the unanimous pick to win its division falls flat on its face, losing games that it should be embarrassed to lose, that is COMPLETELY on the head coach. If he can't motivate this talent, he isn't the coach that needs to be leading this team.

Right now, I expect about 12 wins this year and a quick exit in the conference tournament. If this happens, Benford should be fired immediately.

KRAM, you just don't understand how lost he is on the bench. He inspires zero confidence in his players.. He is reactive in his substitutions, often telling a player to go in and the. Changing his mind.

When you have no substitution plan, it leads me to doubt your in-game an, which leads me to doubt your overall plan.

This is a disaster that UNT really couldn't afford at this point. I really don't know how much more our fan base can take. Something the AD and Mr. Rawlins need to consider.

You expect anything different from the people who hired Benford. I think it is still too early to give up on Benford or the team, but a bunch of bs excuses from RV means nothing and if he really mentioned MItchell in that manner; it was a very bad mistake for an AD.

Also, the decision by the broadcast group was made after he didn't show up and they decided not to wing it or have dead air way past the planned broadcast.

The AD and his assistant are saying what I expect them to say and basically are trying to have Benford's back. I like the fact they responded and I am pretty sure their conversation with Benford wasn't exactly the same tone or content as what they told her. They are doing way more than Benford right now by standing up and facing the music. The fact that some reasons/excuses are weak is because they are covering for someone with little to no intestinal fortitude.

One more point. TM did not touch the ball on offense for the 1st nine minutes of the game. Not one touch.

Think he is just more than a little frustrated?

His only FG attempt was the break away dunk...

At least u had a hot date to the game ? At least that's what it looked like from across the Super Pit ;)

• Upvote 1

Meangreenmick-

You think he designed that play at the end of the game to go off with 25 seconds left to go? A three with 25 seconds to go when we are only down by 2? Then why was he chewing Jordan out for shooting the ball and screaming no when he shot it!? Granted it was a wide open look Benford wanted the last shot and it was clear by his actions and mannerisms.

Tony does need more touches but he does attract a lot of bodies. Which does actually clog the lane :/

Again I am not taking all of the name off the coaching staff and I do not know what happens in practice, but a lot of this is on the players and the poor last second decisions they make. I will give him a year to make a decision on him. I really thought this was our turn around game, especially after the ladies win. I was wrong and it is disappointing.

• Upvote 1

I believe his LSU team who he never coached before is undefeated. Just saying. I know he left but I think that should say seething to the folks that say give it a year.

Agreed. I'm not mad at JJ: his dream job opened up. That was unlucky for us.

But how do we go and replace it with this? How do we hire someone that cannot at least _get by_ with the same players from last year + CJ + Jordan. It's crazy that people are ok with this.

• Upvote 2