It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

Crucify me idc but I want him out.. We suck.. No way this team should be 3 and 5.. Absolute joke .. Embarrassing honestly

I totally agree. If he can't run a simple pick and roll to get TM the ball, then he needs to go. It's just outrageous that with the same basic personnel as last year + Chris Jones + Jordan Williams + Justin Patton we have lost to a Div II team, UTA, and ULALA. I'm just sick over the money I spent on these tickets this year. Got ripped off with only five football home games and now I'm getting crappy basketball which is my favorite event at UNT. I'm just sick over it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fire Tony Mitchell? Well at times we do seem better with out him. But you are right this team is joke. The team cannot even perform a simple offense. Tony mitchel and Colman are the biggest babies I have ever seen. Tony pouts and does not hustle and Colman does not even listen to coach Evans. He has horrible court vison!!!! He got dunked over because he was not even watching the ball or his man. These players are not playing as a team. It was clear if you saw the game Benford knows what he is doing. Anyone who says otherwise has no clue at all...

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

He yells shooter and CJ cover and CJ just sits at the top. Wide open three knocked down. These players have no discipline. Coach evans got fired up a lot tonight and in players faces for lack of common of sense. The players are the issue. The only issue I see with Benford is he subs a lot more but the minutes were about the same under jones. Please explain what Benford did wrong tonight? How did he "mess it up"?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Even if he knows what he's doing philosophy wise...a big part of coaching is getting your players to buy in. If he hasn't, then he's not a good coach.

This I can agree with but the leaders are in. The only player/players I see frustrated are Mitchell and jones. But honestly they need to learn to work as a team.

I do believe that this season will help Tony. He will still be a lotto pick and he will be thankful he had this season. He is going to get double and triple teamed. He will get frustrated and upset, but it will only get worse in the NBA. Like a lot of rookies he will get pushed around. This season will build some toughness and charter for Tony as frustrating as it is.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This I can agree with but the leaders are in. The only player/players I see frustrated are Mitchell and jones. But honestly they need to learn to work as a team.

I do believe that this season will help Tony. He will still be a lotto pick and he will be thankful he had this season. He is going to get double and triple teamed. He will get frustrated and upset, but it will only get worse in the NBA. Like a lot of rookies he will get pushed around. This season will build some toughness and charter for Tony as frustrating as it is.

Well, even if this season builds "charter" (charter player?) for Mitchell, it won't matter that much for us if he doesn't help us win.

• Upvote 1

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

Don't see how that is on Coach Benford.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

We missed a ton against UTA too. At what point do missed free throws also factor in to the bad coaching?

• Upvote 1

Lala also nit the three. With a hand in the face. I really believe these people are looking for any excuse in the book to defend a team they fell in love with based on ball is life videos and pure speculation of talent.

Know we do have a lot of talent, their is not denying this. But they have yet to play as a team on the floor. Benford has ton everything he can from what I have seen at the games. Chris and Tony ran the pick and roll. Did you not watch? They ran the two high where Franklin and Tony set a double pick for CJ. Roger would go under and Tony over. Every time unless Tony stepped out he was mugged. This did leave holmen or jw open but they were always on the opposite side of CJ. It was still effective when it was done properly though. It beat the zone because it did draw the post players up and out from the paint. It opened up the floor. Benford was smart for doing this. It the p,ayers just missed shots and made poor choices. Not the choices Benford wanted.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3.4 seconds on the clock and the best we can do is a baseball pass over Jacob's head?! Unless Benford was allowing CJ to draw up plays again that is on the coach.

• Upvote 2

I am indeed embarrassed. I can't tell you how many people I told over the summer when I was back home to look out for us this year in Basketball. And how Tony Mitchell was the easily a top 10 pick. I look like quite the fool now.

I talked up this team to anyone who would listen as well in an effort to get more people out to the games.

Where is the :censored: puking emoticon?

• Upvote 2

Well, even if this season builds "charter" (charter player?) for Mitchell, it won't matter that much for us if he doesn't help us win.

"character"... What is it with people on this board and spelling? Correcting others grammatical erros some how justifies their lack of common sense when it comes to athletics (at times). This is not a post attacking you, but just a blanket statement. Let's stick to the facts as if we were having a discussion and not grading a dissertation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I agree he is not the answer right now, but who do u turn to if we do fire him? And you know RV cannot be happy with him not talking to the media after losses. When you take a head coaching gig, you have stand up and be accountable when you lose. He needs to do what he can't get his players to do, STEP UP!!!

• Upvote 1

Might want to double check that...plenty of special teams coaches get canned for that.

I will research it but a few years ago the cowboys ran through a few kickers and had the same coach. I believe it was when Billy C. Was kicking. I will check it though, have a link? I would still contend the number is low and it heavily weighed towards the kickers release.

Beyond this though the point is there are so many facets of the game that our out of the coaches hands. The players have to make wise decisions, you can contend all day that Benford should have "coached" them better to avoid these mistakes, but they re human error. He can be held accountable on some issues including constant substations, but as an x's and 0's coach he seems to be knowledgable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm talking about what actually happens during a game... so let's dismiss lack of preparation and other outside factors, even though these may be very important in winning or losing the game at hand. And let's also put aside the obvious here... your opponent is simply much better than you.

A young coach asked an expert coach, "Our next opponent is better, bigger, taller, quick, plays great defense, with great shooters and ball-handlers, and they pass the ball well. What should I do?" The answer... "Lose".

We're not talking about that here. Here we are discussing two fairly evenly matched teams, either of which could win the game.

In a nutshell, here are the reasons we lost the game:

Turnovers - Bad Decisions

Bad Shots

Lack of Defensive Pressure, Lack of Hustle

Not Blocking Out, Not Rebounding

Not Getting Back Defensively

Stupid Fouls

Failure to Play as a Team

• Upvote 2