Any Players Switching Positions?

El Paso Eagle

Pure speculation on my part but I expect Mark Lewis, the all-state running back from Louisiana, to be tried at safety. I'd also like to see Micah Thompson tried at defensive tackle (again). Lastly, please move Boutwell to defensive end. But, since the latter two involve Coach Mike Nelson I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by GrayEagle

My projections - notice they have similar weight goals for players at similar positions on the weight charts. Knowing this makes it easier to see where they want each player at.

Defensively:

-Yeah they want Roberts at 260 so defensive end seems pretty obvious there.

-They want Dutton Watson at 290, that spells defensive tackle.

-They want Austin Orr at 290, he was in between tackle and end this year but tackle for sure next year.

-Boutwell's goal is set at 260, so back to defensive end for his senior year is a definite possibility.

-Don't expect Micah Thompson to move back here since they only want him to lose 6 pounds and get down to 310. That's a right side of the line offensive lineman's weight.

-Jamal Marshall's goal is 220. That's pretty big for a safety, so maybe linebacker could be in the mix for him if he reaches that goal. That guy is a talent who I really hope blows up this year.

Offensively:

-They want Y'Barbo down to 290. That's the weight they want Kirby and Feldt at, so maybe Y'Barbo makes a run at filling Fortenberry's spot at center next year. Even if not, you want your left guard to be more agile.

-Mark Lewis' goal is set at 220 from 205. That's not too big, but I can't help but see fullback in his future as we start to use it more in our offense. He has the running ability but he needs to grow more and learn how to block. Luckily we still have one more year of Drew Miller. Also, this seems too big for him to play safety but it's too early to tell.

Really intrigued with Watson at tackle. And getting Jamal Marshall to 220 with his sprinter speed could be fun as well.

By my count we will have 8 DT's (Orr, Watson, Wallace, McDorman, Abbe, Boutwell, Haboul, and Astorga who is a walk-on but made some road trips last season which indicates the like him.

That's a lot.. makes you wonder if they won't look at trying to convert some of them to defensive end as Gray Eagle pointed out. Haboul and Alexander intrigue me there. I don't think you move Boutwell -- he's been at DT awhile and as a senior I don't know if it helps you to make a position change.

Defensive end looks quite a bit thinner at 7 with Bellazin, Sarge, Lincoln, Mason and frosh Roberts, Horton and Dilonga. Really excited about Jerrian Roberts and hopeful on Dilonga/Horton.

Perfect world you add a stud juco tackle and defensive end to the mix?

I think Mark Lewis could be a stud linebacker as that was his position before they moved him to RB in high school.