Trice's job on the line?

BIG DAWG

Yeah, he probably spent some time reading this board, realized we're doomed and backed out.

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me that recruits do read the boards.

of course they read the boards....that's why we use their names in the titles on the recruiting threads and why some should tread lightly on what their distant evaluations of said players talent might be. In regards to him I think it clearly said that we came in out of left field WAY late in the game after he had been contacted by others way earlier than us. His goal is to start.... not have a program come in last second and say "hey we think we might need to pickup an insurance policy at Safety after this year's play...are you game?"

We could have the best pass rush in the country but when we are covering WR's with LB's and they are wide open in two seconds it gives no time for the pass rush to get there. The longer the cover players can hold up, the longer it gives for the rush to get there, just like the quicker the rush can get there the less time the cover players have to hold up. Both area's need improvement.

Thats as true as Gospel! Thank you!

In reading Vito's latest blog entry, he said NT is bringing in a JUCO safety to compete with Trice for the starting job.

I understand telling players that they can come in and compete for a staring job, but when you bring in a JUCO, especially a guy with McCarney's philosophy in recruiting HS guys, you're bringing him in to start.

My question is with all the holes we have, are we really worried about Trice? I thought he had a pretty damn good year.

Trice is a good run defender...Not great at defending the pass. Good tackler, but throws himself around way too much. Gambler, but doesn't win but about 50% of the time. This D-backfield needs upgrading as much or more than any part of the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We could have the best pass rush in the country but when we are covering WR's with LB's and they are wide open in two seconds it gives no time for the pass rush to get there. The longer the cover players can hold up, the longer it gives for the rush to get there, just like the quicker the rush can get there the less time the cover players have to hold up. Both area's need improvement.

You wont have LB's covering WR's once you have enough quality depth at DB to run nickel packages etc.

Going after a juco safety was not an indictment against Trice.

• Upvote 1

You wont have LB's covering WR's once you have enough quality depth at DB to run nickel packages etc.

Going after a juco safety was not an indictment against Trice.

Very true. The good thing is we are developing those defensive backs, and those freshman will now be sophomores next year so they should be able to contribute more.

I would really like for someone to develop at corner or have a healthy Freddie Warner come back. This way Whitfield could play more inside and cover slot receivers, because he has the quickness to do so.

I counter with this.....and it's just my opinion of course.

I saw DB's out of position all season. And I also saw when they were in position to make a play they often would never look back for the ball when the receiver looked up. So I don't think it's a talent issue with our DB's. If the QB doesn't have time due to the rush to set his feet and make the throw he won't be as accurate. How many times have you heard a team's losing QB for a game described as..."He was running for his life all day"....TCU has made a living off of this, and they did it again this year with freshmen recruited to the MWC no less.

So which of the two positions would a coach rather have first to defend the pass? A great DB or a great D lineman? I say D Lineman and it appears that is the consideration with recruit talent scouts in College and the NFL and there's solid reasons for it....mainly to disrupt an offense.

The past 4 years there have been more DL's taken in the first round than DB's.

According to the Sporting News for the past incoming freshman class out of HS, of the top 75 recruits there were more DL's ranked than DB's. (I didn't check the other recruit ranking services so it may show something different with them?).

If you stop the run better than the pass, your more than likely to have a good pass rush and a more successful defense overall. According to the NCAA stat sheets for this season, there are more teams with losing records in the top 50 pass defense leaders than there are in the top 50 run defense leaders. Before I get jumped on for this let me just say, yes, I know it's important to have run stopping DB's, and yes, I know depending on coverages(Cover 4 split and quarters, or cover 2) you'll always have LB's having to cover WR's as well. But it all starts up front and the coaches know this.

DB's are a dime a dozen, and there's no such thing as a "Shut Down Corner" either. We see teams making DB's out of several different types of athletes that are more readily available out of HS. There are a ton of kids with speed and we see RB's, QB's WR's and "Athletes" getting converted every year to play DB and they get coached up to do so if it hasn't been a natural position for them before. But Run Stopping/Pass Rushing/Offense Disrupting DL's are rare. So when one comes along this is the guy the schools fight over the most between the two. And this is the position we have not addressed as well at North Texas in past years. It's either that or our coaches don't know what they are doing. And considering DMac has made a living successfully coaching DLine, and Nelson as well, I don't think this is the issue....at least I hope it isn't?

Disagree with me all you want. But the bottom line is, if we don't find a pass rush and soon for next year we will continue to see our DB's forced to cover for too long and they will continue to get eaten alive.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1