Tale of the Tape - Offense

GrayEagle

I've done some analyzing of this past football season and thought I'd post the results here. Anything to let my tired head rest from all of the realignment changes. I've looked at all three segments...offense, defense and special teams. There are a few aspects where we did well but overall it's not brimming with good news:

Offense

Stats where we've done well. outstanding:

Two statistics were outstanding. The offensive line allowed only five sacks which was #1 in the FBS. We had an average possession time of 32:56.83 which ranked us #7.

Stats that were above average:

We fell to 38th nationally in fumbles lost but the mark of just under .5 was very good. We were #50 in rushing average with 4.35 yards per carry. Number 52 nationally on long passing plays (over 10 yards). I don't have a breakdown on how many were yards after catch but regardless the mark of 112 long receptions is an exemplary statistic. Another statistic that ranked us 60th was 159 plays from scrimmage of more than 10 yards. We did have some playmakers.

Stats that were average to below average:

North Texas was the 63rd most successful at converting fourth down plays. We ranked 68th on long rushing plays with 57. Our yards per play of 5.52 ranked the Mean Green 72nd nationally and the 7.0 per passing play was 76th. We averaged 19.9 first downs per game; 79th among FBS teams. And while we were outstanding on sacks allowed we didn't do so well on tackles for loss allowed. We average 5.92 per game.

Stats that were gosh-awful

Three statistics that stunk up the joint were scoring offense (20.9 per game); third down conversions (32.78%); and red zone conversions (71.4%).

Overall, it was an average offense or better at gaining yards but terrible at scoring, especially when in the red zone.

• Upvote 6

I've done some analyzing of this past football season and thought I'd post the results here. Anything to let my tired head rest from all of the realignment changes. I've looked at all three segments...offense, defense and special teams. There are a few aspects where we did well but overall it's not brimming with good news:

Offense

Two statistics were outstanding. The offensive line allowed only five sacks which was #1 in the FBS. We had an average possession time of 32:56.83 which ranked us #7.

We fell to 38th nationally in fumbles lost but the mark of just under .5 was very good. We were #50 in rushing average with 4.35 yards per carry. Number 52 nationally on long passing plays (over 10 yards). I don't have a breakdown on how many were yards after catch but regardless the mark of 112 long receptions is an exemplary statistic. Another statistic that ranked us 60th was 159 plays from scrimmage of more than 10 yards. We did have some playmakers.

North Texas was the 63rd most successful at converting fourth down plays. We ranked 68th on long rushing plays with 57. Our yards per play of 5.52 ranked the Mean Green 72nd nationally and the 7.0 per passing play was 76th. We averaged 19.9 first downs per game; 79th among FBS teams. And while we were outstanding on sacks allowed we didn't do so well on tackles for loss allowed. We average 5.92 per game.

Three statistics that stunk up the joint were scoring offense (20.9 per game); third down conversions (32.78%); and red zone conversions (71.4%).

Overall, it was an average offense or better at gaining yards but terrible at scoring, especially when in the red zone.

+1. but this is all starting to sound familiar.

• Upvote 1

Offense

The data is interesting...I always thought that despite the great pass blocking, we got hit hard on running plays that took a long time to develop. This tells me I'm right from the tackles for a loss. I am thinking, and not for the first time, that the play calling at critical times had a lot to do with this because the defenses knew we were going to go to those plays in those situations (I loved the Y'Barbo pull, but as a D-Coordinator, I would just put a LB in his hip pocket as he pulled and BOOM, tackle for a loss) And, they put anywhere from 5 to 8 players in the box. Sometimes it looked like the whole D was in the box and we ran the silly play anyway. I never once saw our QB check off and I saw plenty of opportunity to really blow the D away with an easy change of plays, especially in the red zone. All in all, I'd say our Offense was way too predictable and our playmakers weren't strong enough to make up for that disadvantage.

• Upvote 1

I did a little looking as well. You know how we were saying Mac was more conservative the DD? Turns out Mac's offenses are jugarnaughts compared to the Buick and very comparable to TD's in yards gained - unfortunately also similar to TD in red zone efficiency.

Mac and DD both won the turnover battle every year. Dodge lost the turnover battle every year.

I noticed that trend by the end of the first home game. Every time we got inside the 20 I started saying "well, we're in trouble now!....move it back past the 20". By the third game, the guy in front of me was saying the same thing.

Offense

I find it hard to believe our red zone conversions were as high as 71%....are you sure....kinda of hard to get down there when your third down conversions are 33%. Be interesting to know what our ...2nd and____ yards were...since we seem to always run on first, I would like to know how productive we were on 1st downs.

Also, does the red zone conv include field goals or only TDs....I'm guessing only TDs.

Edited by houstonmeangreen

I find it hard to believe our red zone conversions were as high as 71%....are you sure....kinda of hard to get down there when your third down conversions are 33%. Be interesting to know what our ...2nd and____ yards were...since we seem to always run on first, I would like to know how productive we were on 1st downs.

Also, does the red zone conv include field goals or only TDs....I'm guessing only TDs.

I think it includes both. Would be interesting to know the redzone TD %.

Obviously we weren't very good in the RZ, but I know the Troy game really torpedoed this number. FG's and TD's both.

Here is the data...

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/497/redzone/offense/gamelog.html