McMahon Tweet on Mitchell

UNTflyer

So, being petulant is the proper way for Tony to show his frustration? I'd bet those NBA scouts loved that. Missing practice is the way a team leader responds and shows leadership? Really? And folks think that is OK in any way shape or form? Missing practice, really? If I were coaching he would have not even suited out or been on the bench for the game. So, if Benford let him off by just sitting out the first couple of minutes of the game, then, yes, THAT is a bad coaching decision in my opinion.....to all who might want to disagree, note I said my opinion.

One more of those if I were coach Tony could relax and play pick up at the rec center to stay in shape as he would no longer be on the team. Better to have that attitude gone than poisoning the rest of the team!

Here's hoping that the posted rumor of skipping practice is just that a rumor. Every time I have spoken to Tony, he has been polite and humble. Seems like a really good young man to me, so I'll hope it is nothing more than a rumor. If not, bad decision by Benford to let him see any court time tonight. Sad to hear this, and says a lot about what I saw from the players this evening in general.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The entire game was just horrible. No one on the UNT team even tried to push to the basket. It was like they just wanted to throw the ball around the line. We made UTA look like a power house and Tony looked unhappy all game...

Indeed!

I don't love TM's poutyness but that is fine if the scouts are there. NBA scouts and scouts in general usually draft on potential and TM is a very intriguing prospect. Even scouts know the pathetic coaching NT has right now. I don't think his draft stock has hurt one bit up to this point.

This. They see the potential. And this years draft is weak, so he won't move down much no matter what happens.

Although, I did see one of the scouts laughing and shaking his head when TM airballed a 3 late in the game.

Worst thing is Tony M is probably starting to regret staying at UNT. This is such a horrible position Benford has put the program in...RV is to blame as well.

First half the score was tied at 31 – 31 – when TM went out in the first half with 2 fouls – UTA went on 10-2 run

Second Half – UNT Shot 6 0f 38 from the field – Offense was weave just past the 3 point line

UNT – out scored from the bench

UNT out scored in the lane

UNT – out rebounded

UTA – more assists

UTA More 3 point plays

UNT Coach – lost the coaching battle by a large margin

Suggestion for improvement: use the UNT/UTA game tape as a training film and adopt the Scott Cross Offense and Defense

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years

I don't love TM's poutyness but that is fine if the scouts are there. NBA scouts and scouts in general usually draft on potential and TM is a very intriguing prospect. Even scouts know the pathetic coaching NT has right now. I don't think his draft stock has hurt one bit up to this point.

Seriously? Is this true...scouts don't care? Asking only as I am not a fan of the pro game at all, so do not follow it...but, this seems strange. Did not the Dallas Mavs just dump a guy who can play because of attitude or something close to that?

Also...I heard this evening that ESPN is reporting that Tony's draft status is dropping due to his play. I hope this is not true, as I agree with the "potential" thing, but there seems to me to be a big difference between a lottery pick, a first rounder and a second rounder when it comes to the NBA. So, working hard during the season could pay off a bit above potential it would seem, but the NBA guys certainly know more about it than I do.

Seriously? Is this true...scouts don't care? Asking only as I am not a fan of the pro game at all, so do not follow it...but, this seems strange. Did not the Dallas Mavs just dump a guy who can play because of attitude or something close to that?

Also...I heard this evening that ESPN is reporting that Tony's draft status is dropping due to his play. I hope this is not true, as I agree with the "potential" thing, but there seems to me to be a big difference between a lottery pick, a first rounder and a second rounder when it comes to the NBA. So, working hard during the season could pay off a bit above potential it would seem, but the NBA guys certainly know more about it than I do.

I'm not saying it will never hurt but its rare especially for a guy that has all the tools and measurables. I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 pick but he'll still likely be a lottery pick. Either way he'll be paid handsomely next year wherever he goes. I still say in this case all of it is pretty much coaching and preparation in my opinion.

So, being petulant is the proper way for Tony to show his frustration? I'd bet those NBA scouts loved that. Missing practice is the way a team leader responds and shows leadership? Really? And folks think that is OK in any way shape or form? Missing practice, really? If I were coaching he would have not even suited out or been on the bench for the game. So, if Benford let him off by just sitting out the first couple of minutes of the game, then, yes, THAT is a bad coaching decision in my opinion.....to all who might want to disagree, note I said my opinion.

One more of those if I were coach Tony could relax and play pick up at the rec center to stay in shape as he would no longer be on the team. Better to have that attitude gone than poisoning the rest of the team!

Here's hoping that the posted rumor of skipping practice is just that a rumor. Every time I have spoken to Tony, he has been polite and humble. Seems like a really good young man to me, so I'll hope it is nothing more than a rumor. If not, bad decision by Benford to let him see any court time tonight. Sad to hear this, and says a lot about what I saw from the players this evening in general.

I guess it is ok to miss practice because based on what I've seen so far no one is holding practice.

• Upvote 3

These guys have been reading their press coverage. None of them could hit a bull in the ass with a brushpile last night. I saw no sense of urgency, they were just going through the motions. UTA wanted it! You can trash Benford or RV or anyone you like but they will never handle the ball and put up a shot. It is on the players and they are proving to be overrated, IMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

These guys have been reading their press coverage. None of them could hit a bull in the ass with a brushpile last night. I saw no sense of urgency, they were just going through the motions. UTA wanted it! You can trash Benford or RV or anyone you like but they will never handle the ball and put up a shot. It is on the players and they are proving to be overrated, IMHO.

This is crazy talk. These are college kids. This is 100% on the coaches and the AD who brought the coaches here.

They're kids and maybe they did buy into some hype but Benford gets paid to keep them grounded and coach them. I just think the team has already lost Benford and that is very alarming.