RV needs to be held accountable...

meangreener

Nobody respects Benford because Benford COACHES NO DISCIPLINE into these players. Mitchell was so exasperated at Benford's inept-ness as a coach that he just gave up. Benford is ruining his career. I don't blame Mitchell for quitting tonight.

The way these guys play once they hit the court is on them... Minus me all you want, but if you were actually at the game you know this loss is on the players. If Tony does not step up he will be a second rounder at best! Cannot believe how poorly these guys executed...how many turnovers? How many front ends of one and ones missed? How many rebounds lost? How many threes jacked up from forever out? Don't think Benford is responsible for all those air balls....Mitchell gave up because of Mitchell's own attitude and want to....if he is a lottery pick, he takes this game over and puts the team on his back. Don't know about anyone else who was actually in attendance, but I missed the part where anyone cared enough to take this game over and make it happen. Correct me if you saw anyone other than Franklin actually giving that a try.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years

You forgot Everyone of the returning players will transfer. The players that already signed will enroll at Juco's so they don't have to play under Benford's replacement, because if it keeps going like this Benford is gone.

BRING BACK JIMMIE GALES!

The way these guys play once they hit the court is on them... Minus me all you want, but if you were actually at the game you know this loss is on the players. If Tony does not step up he will be a second rounder at best! Cannot believe how poorly these guys executed...how many turnovers? How many front ends of one and ones missed? How many rebounds lost? How many threes jacked up from forever out? Don't think Benford is responsible for all those air balls....Mitchell gave up because of Mitchell's own attitude and want to....if he is a lottery pick, he takes this game over and puts the team on his back. Don't know about anyone else who was actually in attendance, but I missed the part where anyone cared enough to take this game over and make it happen. Correct me if you saw anyone other than Franklin actually giving that a try.

Then lets pay a coach minimum wage and save some cash. Hell, I bet we can get a student to do it for credit.

• Upvote 3

if the players don't respond, its coaching.

Really? So no loss is ever on the players? Interesting perspective. If the players don't care enough to even act like they care...in my book that's on them.

I guess we disagree...that's OK as I know we are all frustrated and disappointed right now. But, lose to LaLa and lose with no heart as this team did this evening and things may really get interesting.

No, I am not giving up on this team, nor am I giving up on Coach Benford....just venting a bit of frustration. Yes, I am grumpy this evening after watching that game tonight in person....but, the sky is not falling and there will be a new game Saturday....see you there!

Anyone actually at the game and who experienced that mess of an effort by this group of individuals, feel free to chime in...if you were not there to actually witness this in person...just keep your hat to yourself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Really? So no loss is ever on the players? Interesting perspective. If the players don't care enough to even act like they care...in my book that's on them.

I guess we disagree...that's OK as I know we are all frustrated and disappointed right now. But, lose to LaLa and lose with no heart as this team did this evening and things may really get interesting.

No, I am not giving up on this team, nor am I giving up on Coach Benford....just venting a bit of frustration. Yes, I am grumpy this evening after watching that game tonight in person....but, the sky is not falling and there will be a new game Saturday....see you there!

Anyone actually at the game and who experienced that mess of an effort by this group of individuals, feel free to chime in...if you were not there to actually witness this in person...just keep your hat to yourself.

You know where we sit.

That loss is on the coach, not the players. Tony Mitchell can't do much when he is the only offensive threat player within 10 feet of the basket and he has 3-4 defenders on him. Just swinging the ball around the arc won't get it done. A head coach should be able to notice things like this and change the plays or the personnel (maybe add another big, like Coleman, to pull off some of the pressure on the other post).

• Upvote 5

Kram - we were there and it was awful. The lack of leadership is depressing; and I think it starts with the coach. He looks lost and it's apparent by the way the boys are playing.

I'm still taking up my "buy out Benford" collection. Maybe I'll make T-shirts to sell as part of the fundraiser. Now, that's a capital idea.

• Upvote 3

Ah yes, if you weren't at the game, then your opinion doesn't matter and you are a lesser fan.

I was there and saw an embarassing peformance from a group led by an AD and a coaching staff.

If it were up to you, no coach or AD would ever get fired.

I hold my university to a higher standard and expect a win every night and consider our toliet bowl athletic dept. status to be embarassing.

Unrealistic attitudes like yours keep people like Dodge, RV, etc, here past their welcomes.

EXPECT BETTER!

• Upvote 3

Why? Because I am 300 miles away, put money into the "program", pay for MG premium to watch this? It looked as crappy on the internet as it did in real life. Bite me.

Review of UNT’s 72 – 59 Loss to UTA

First half the score was tied at 31 – 31 – when TM went out in the first half with 2 fouls – UTA went on 10-2 run

Second Half – UNT Shot 6 0f 38 from the field – Offense was weave just past the 3 point line

UNT – out scored from the bench

UNT out scored in the lane

UNT – out rebounded

UTA – more assists

UTA More 3 point plays

UNT Coach – lost the coaching battle by a large margin

Suggestion for improvement: use the UNT/UTA game tape as a training film and adopt the Scott Cross Offense and Defense

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years

hmm...could you possibly be over-reacting?

Benford has only been a head coach for how many games now? (8 i believe)

I'm just saying....on some level WE helped create this monster that is probably the most over-hyped team in North Texas sports history. We definitely didn't down-play it.

I believe Benford is still trying to figure out how to most efficiently place the players around TM. Hes going through some growing pains and unfortunately its at the expense of a really talented basketball team.

He's not a rookie coach that adopted a 4 win team. Big difference there. That said it's okay being a rookie coach but it's another thing looking horrible through 7 games and being 3-4 and looking completely lost and overwhelmed out there. This team didn't have CJ and JW the 2nd half of the season but they were still competitive and good and close to clinching a tournament birth. This could really end up being a Todd Dodgesque hire with the exception of Benford actually inheriting a potential top 25 caliber talented team or damn near close to it.

Kram - we were there and it was awful. The lack of leadership is depressing; and I think it starts with the coach. He looks lost and it's apparent by the way the boys are playing.

I'm still taking up my "buy out Benford" collection. Maybe I'll make T-shirts to sell as part of the fundraiser. Now, that's a capital idea.

I'll play.

• Upvote 1

I watched the game on T.V. and we looked terrible. We looked bigger, stronger, and more athletic, but we looked terrible. UTA looked prepared. We did not. I don't know if that is because of coaching or not, but we looked terrible. We are too talented to accept losing this game.

If Jones was still our coach would we still be 3-4 right now? I don't think so.

• Upvote 1

To say that this loss is on the players is ludicrous. Are we to believe, honestly, that Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams and Chris Jones ALL regressed over the off-season?? And this is somehow more believable than that we have an offensive game plan with zero imagination? Or more plausible than the thought that our rebounding woes are due to sitting our only true big man on the bench for most of the game which leads to Tony double teamed down low and Roger having to fight (with heart) amongst the trees? Or how about the fact that we played a team that consistently went to the hole and we insisted on remaining in a man to man look? Or, just for giggles, let's pretend that applying ZERO full court pressure is wise when you CLEARLY are willing to give pretty much all of your players sporadic minutes and wouldn't be wearing them down. Sorry KRAM, I love you man, but this falls squarely on the shoulders of Benford and RV.

Oh, and as you know I was there.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

Oh yeah, what WTF about Benford not coming out for the post-game radio show? Shows no heart, IMHO.

What concerns me is that he hasn't come out for an interview after a loss since Creighton. That's immaturity. Face the music, you get paid to do it.

Really..did not see you at the game. Watching on TV is not anywhere near being there in person...magic box or not...you cannot see the players off the screen, etc. So, we can disagree on this.

KRAM, what I saw was a head coach completely overwhelmed and out of his element. What I saw was a team that had no idea how to get the ball to it's best player. What I saw was a coach who promised better rebounding, defense, and transitional offense, and again failed to produce any of it against an inferior opponent.

Putting it on the KIDS is putting it on Benford. If he can't get kids this talented to play together, and, more importantly, play as a team, then he is not the right guy for this job. sadly, I don't see us as anything better than a .500 team this year, and Benford is a huge reason for that.

If you don't understand that basketball experts, not members of this board, expected a lot more from this team, then you just aren't paying attention.

Edited by UNT90