Cowherd sums up the Mean Green haters

shaft

Collin Cowherd had a good point on his radio show that sums up the haters on this board.

He pointed out that after someone had been in a bad relationship they are less likely to give the next person more time and he then talked about the situation at Colorado.

Which makes sense. The folks whinning about Mac, keep complaining about the last 8 years. The logical half of this board doesn't hold Mac accountable for the final two years of DD's contract or what happen under the Dodgeball era. It also makes sense that many of the whinners were Dodge fan boys.

So we get, the fan boys got their heart broken by their high school hearthrob and are no to jilted to give Mac & logic a chance.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Collin Cowherd had a good point on his radio show that sums up the haters on this board.

He pointed out that after someone had been in a bad relationship they are less likely to give the next person more time and he then talked about the situation at Colorado.

Which makes sense. The folks whinning about Mac, keep complaining about the last 8 years. The logical half of this board doesn't hold Mac accountable for the final two years of DD's contract or what happen under the Dodgeball era. It also makes sense that many of the whinners were Dodge fan boys.

So we get, the fan boys got their heart broken by their high school hearthrob and are no to jilted to give Mac & logic a chance.

Very few people have said DMac needs to be fired. To blindly trust anyone without a yearly evaluation is just pure stupidity. Year 3 will tell th tale. That is what many of us have said, whether we were Dodge supporters or not (it's actually split about half and half from my observation).

Let me ask you a question. What should be done if we go 2-9 or 1-10 next year?

• Upvote 3

Making

I'd ask what happen to the 12th game.

The real debate is what happens in 4-8, 5-7 situation. But I think so little of Dodge I don't really care what happens in the first 3 Mac seasons. I think Dodge screwed this team up so much that it's going to take 3 seasons to recruit & recoach. So I care about what happens in year 4.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Making

I'd ask what happen to the 12th game.

The real debate is what happens in 4-8, 5-7 situation. But I think so little of Dodge I don't really care what happens in the first 3 Mac seasons. I think Dodge screwed this team up so much that it's going to take 3 seasons to recruit & recoach. So I care about what happens in year 4.

I never thought Dodge should have been hired...Mac...didn't really know him, but looking at his record you have to wonder, but the location and conference were probably a big problem kinda like NT trying to build football teams with Fouts and no athletic fee, etc. Mac has really spun things...ie he is the greatest thing since sliced bread...well next year we need to see some of this he touts...I say, if he were to lose to Tx State...and where they have come from...he should be let go immediately..hes not for us...if we go 4-8 or 5-7...well not in his favor, but merits evaluation...who we lost to, why, by how much, whats on the horizon, etc....lets not do a Dodge retake...TD was here for 2 yrs too long and now with the conference shifts again we have nothing to show in the win/lost column...anyway, I'm hoping the best for Mac and thus UNT...just no more of the same failure to act....and act quickly.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very few people have said DMac needs to be fired. To blindly trust anyone without a yearly evaluation is just pure stupidity. Year 3 will tell th tale. That is what many of us have said, whether we were Dodge supporters or not (it's actually split about half and half from my observation).

I'd ask Mac to go, and if not, I'd ask him what his plans are to prevent the same. It'd be hard to keep someone after a season like that. If we did keep him, he'd better post 6-6 the season after at the very least.

But a 4-8 or 5-7 record in CUSA, he stays at least for another year. He still stays on the hot seat, though.

I never thought Dodge should have been hired...Mac...didn't really know him, but looking at his record you have to wonder, but the location and conference were probably a big problem kinda like NT trying to build football teams with Fouts and no athletic fee, etc. Mac has really spun things...ie he is the greatest thing since sliced bread...well next year we need to see some of this he touts...I say, if he were to lose to Tx State...and where they have come from...he should be let go immediately..hes not for us...if we go 4-8 or 5-7...well not in his favor, but merits evaluation...who we lost to, why, by how much, whats on the horizon, etc....lets not do a Dodge retake...TD was here for 2 yrs too long and now with the conference shifts again we have nothing to show in the win/lost column...anyway, I'm hoping the best for Mac and thus UNT...just no more of the same failure to act....and act quickly.

hell I would fire Nick Saban if he found a way to lose to a team that is not on the schedule

and it is win/LOSS column

• Upvote 1

How many FBS college programs give a new coach four years to prove himself, no matter how bad his predecessor was?

• Upvote 2

This is gold. I tell you what, if we lose to Texas State next year, I think the whole unviersity should go away. SInce we are playing UTSA, though, we should be ok...

Coach McCarney has never spun himself to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not once.

If next year, he wins more than 3 games, he will be back for a make-or-break-it 4th season. No questions. You gonna buy out his remaining years and pony up the cash to get someone else in here? Becasue it ain't happening after next year, unless we win 2 games or less, and even then it might be tough for this place to find $$$$ in this eceonomy to pay all of this off.

McCarney is not even remotely close to Dodge. So far, his tenure has looked like some of Dickey's years--Dickey won 3,2,3, and 5 games in his first 4 years here. Coach Mac has won 9 games in two years with a team that runs the ball because the offense won't/can't pass the ball. To me, its very simple--he has to recruit better lineman and receivers and get better QB play. He may have the latter issue solved, assuming that Berglund can play at a high level befitting his HS ratings. WRs should be able to be found--maybe having a better QB would help that. The biggest question, though, is lineman. That's supoosed to be his specialty, but it takes a while to develop effective lines, whether its HS recruits or JUCOs.

McCarney has two more years here, at a minimum. He will either be extended before that season ends or he will be fired. You can buy out a year here at North Texas, but you cannot buy out two or more. Look at what we had to do when we fired Dickey with two years on his meager contract--we still could only afford a high school coach. The $$$, even though its better than it has ever been here in Denton, still ain't there for big money buyouts and hires. It just isn't.

• Upvote 1

Looking a Head – Did we paint ourselves into a corner

Everything is being evaluated – although it is hard to imagine Mc Carney changing course on a Conservative Offensive plan he has used throughout his career.

Does UNT need to open up its Offense a little? Does it have the personnel to do so?

Does a run against 9 in the box defenses- Run on first & second down approach that features tight ends really work in today’s spread Offenses featured in almost every High School in Texas – will this attract the recruits we need? All questions that need to be addressed by the Coaching Staff & AD.

Looking at the records – Last two at UNT 5 & 7 and 4 & 8. Record at Iowa:

Year 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Record 3-8 2-9 1-10 3-8 4-7 9-3 7-5 7-7 2-10 7-5 7-5 4-8

Mc Carney stepped down as head coach after a 4–8 season in 2006.

Mc Carney finished with a 56–85 all time record.

We have lots of things to evaluate for a successful Football Future – This year and Next.

Hoping we get it all right this time – we need to win next year.

Edited by Roadruner
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looking a Head – Did we paint ourselves into a corner

Everything is being evaluated – although it is hard to imagine Mc Carney changing course on a Conservative Offensive plan he has used throughout his career.

Does UNT need to open up its Offense a little? Does it have the personnel to do so?

Does a run against 9 in the box defenses- Run on first & second down approach that features tight ends really work in today’s spread Offenses featured in almost every High School in Texas – will this attract the recruits we need? All questions that need to be addressed by the Coaching Staff & AD.

Looking at the records – Last two at UNT 5 & 7 and 4 & 8. Record at Iowa:

Year 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Record 3-8 2-9 1-10 3-8 4-7 9-3 7-5 7-7 2-10 7-5 7-5 4-8

Mc Carney stepped down as head coach after a 4–8 season in 2006.

Mc Carney finished with a 56–85 all time record.

We have lots of things to evaluate for a successful Football Future – This year and Next.

Hoping we get it all right this time – we need to win next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please explain McCarney's conservative offensive plan. In 2000 at Iowa State, the Cyclones had over 5,000 yards of total offense, a 1,300 yard rusher and a QB that threw for over 2,500 and had a NFL career. Now he uses the run to set up the pass, but honestly, we just didn't have the guns this year to open it up especially after Chancellor and Jimmerson went down.

• Upvote 1

Please explain McCarney's conservative offensive plan. In 2000 at Iowa State, the Cyclones had over 5,000 yards of total offense, a 1,300 yard rusher and a QB that threw for over 2,500 and had a NFL career. Now he uses the run to set up the pass, but honestly, we just didn't have the guns this year to open it up especially after Chancellor and Jimmerson went down.

We didn't have the guns because, outside of Chanceller, there were no threats at WR.

I agree that people are vastly overstating the conservative gameplan issue.

So...how does Cowherd explain guys like Willie Taggart and the dude at Kent State, also coaching traditionally downtrodden and financially thin programs, who get it done in a year or two?

Well the point of this thread was about fan boys pyschological inability to get behind Mac because of their jilted love for Dodge. I would saying being jealous of someone else' head coach fits in that category.

I don't really care about other team's situation, I care about our situation. And because of that I have to be realistic about our situation.

How many FBS college programs give a new coach four years to prove himself, no matter how bad his predecessor was?

Most of the low dollar schools do. Mac will take 4 years to bring this program back because that is who he is. He is a consummate self promoter and politician in front of the cameras and he works on the little things underneath while you are dazzled by the coach speak. It's a very good and proven turn-around management style. The good news and the bad news are essentially the same...the program will come back under Mac.

Good news = program back

Bad news = 4/5 years to do it.

copy and paste this into a word file, save it on your computer and check it in 2 years.

Edited by jimbob

Well the point of this thread was about fan boys pyschological inability to get behind Mac because of their jilted love for Dodge. I would saying being jealous of someone else' head coach fits in that category.

I don't really care about other team's situation, I care about our situation. And because of that I have to be realistic about our situation.

Or, the point of this thread is for you to point out to everyone else how smart you were about Dodge.

The funny thing is, you bag on the "fan boys" because they loved Dodge too long, yet you declare your undying love for Coach Mac with the same lack of reason. Just a tad incongruent, don't you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1