Should C-USA add Texas State?

Harry

God I hope we keep UTEP. My two most anticipated destinations were NOLA (hopes, dreams shattered) and El Paso. Please, Miners, stay here!

I'll take LaLa just because I've heard how awesome road games are there and I never got to go.

I'm sort of ambivalent about UTEP. I hope they stay, because they are a good program and it could impact Tulsa but if they do leave it would basically be saying goodbye to the state of Texas for their alumni and for recruiting. I don't think they will do that but who knows.

I'm sort of ambivalent about UTEP. I hope they stay, because they are a good program and it could impact Tulsa but if they do leave it would basically be saying goodbye to the state of Texas for their alumni and for recruiting. I don't think they will do that but who knows.

In a former life, El Paso was a significant part of my territory. I spent about one week a month there, and gained a strong affection for the place. It ain't much to look at, but it can be a really fun place and is populated by really, really nice people. Also, best Mexican food in the country, bar none.

• Upvote 1

Agree with most on here. It just gives us more exposure and coverage in the state that gives us 90% of our recruits. Can't be afraid of the potential for them beating us. The same works in reverse when we beat them. By combining together in a condensed footprint, I believe we can get more coverage as a whole instead of a bunch of fringe teams scattered across 'markets'. Most of the schools do have fairly significant alumni. If we ended up with USM in the west due to eastern adds, it would be fine with me. USM and UAB, even better. TxSt next choice, ULL after that. Seems that there are several options that would be positives in my mind. Now, if we start losing teams like Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, etc... that changes things a lot and we are probably right back where we started, but we can't really control that.

Edited by CurveItAround

I'd rather go against the trend and start a new Texas based conference with NT, Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, TSSM, UTSA, LT, USM and LALA. When the Big 12 implodes, we could be in a good position to pick up some quality scraps for expansion. I'm tired of the Eastern affiliations. So I guess my answer to the polled question is yes. Kinda.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather go against the trend and start a new Texas based conference with NT, Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, TSSM, UTSA, LT, USM and LALA. When the Big 12 implodes, we could be in a good position to pick up some quality scraps for expansion. I'm tired of the Eastern affiliations. So I guess my answer to the polled question is yes. Kinda.

You bring up an interesting point... I just don't see this happening anymore. And if it does, C-USA needs to be in viewed as a better landing spot for the remainders, otherwise, they'll go MWC (especially KS, KSSt & IASt.)

Else, they will form their own conference and we need to be in a position to join THAT one.

Anyone who doesn't want them isn't realistic on where UNT stands in the college landscape, or is scared of them "passing us by".

So you are saying we are no better than an FBS start up almost 20 years after our return to FBS play? If so, that iss really, really, really sad.

No to anymore startups. Anyone happen to think that maybe, just maybe, the inclusion of UTSA, Old Dominion, and UNC-Charolette was a factor in Tulane hitting the road to the Big East? I promise you, it didn't help.

• Upvote 3

The rumors regarding NMSU being a potential CUSA candidate lead me to worry about UTEP sticking around. And while I would not often make that trip, I would very much like them to stay as they would help our attendance.

Interesting but if you follow the Banowsky C-USA TV market model, Georgia State may be in play as they represent the #7 TV Market (which I didn't know - credit to Arkstfan) and would fit nicely in the geographic footprint.

This logic dictates that I invest in the ressurection of football at the University of San Francisco, and bump up the University of San Diego to FBS. While we're at it, let's get football programs for St John's and SUNY. This is an unsustainable mentality.

So you are saying we are no better than an FBS start up almost 20 years after our return to FBS play? If so, that iss really, really, really sad.

EXACTLY!

I am sitting here wondering what I am missing. We had a whole state full of geographic rivals in 1-AA (along with Louisiana) and we were not happy because we were not 1-A (yeah, I know, FBS and FCS).

Then we become 1-A and eventually move to the Sunbelt - a conference full of has-beens and never-weres.

And now we are willing to settle for even lesser rivals simply because of geographic proximity?

I thought we were trying better ourselves by joining C-USA and play universities with greater stature in sports - especially in football. I thought we were trying to upgrade OUR OWN stature by being in a conference with those of greater stature than us - or at least equal stature.

With some of these suggestions all I am seeing is a return to Sunbelt-level stature...........and even worse given the speculation of adding a recently upgraded 1-AA Texas State. UTSA was a hard enough pill to swallow, but TSU adds to the difficulty.

If all of this happens as some suggest - man, did we sell ourselves a bill-of-goods.

If so, we deserve the inferority that Froggy-fool suggests.

I, for one, certainly hope that we have greater things in store for our time in C-USA (or wherever) than God-forsaken Texas State and our former Sunbelt rivals. If not, we sure have wasted a lot of years fretting and agonizing and suffering and pleading for inclusion in C-USA.

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

After seeing the newly expanded 30,000-seat Bobcat Stadium, Texas State-San Marcos has stepped up to the Division I plate finally. The Bobcats will be able to carve out a chunk of both the Austin and San Antonio markets from the t-shirt UT and UTSA fans in the next few years the same way UNT will be able to with the Big 12 schools t-shirt fans in DFW.

Just like UNT (with DFW), Texas State-San Marcos is just far enough out of the metro (Austin) to not be lost in the pro shuffle and keep its identity. The only reason UTSA is in C-USA is their domed home field in a major metro. How different would UNT be if UT Arlington had brought back football but this time at Cowboys Stadium?

Considering that the Mean Greens' most played opponent are the Bobcats, there's already a history there that UTSA doesn't have with UNT (or anyone else for that matter) that could develop into one of the better rivalries in the state. Both Texas State-San Marcos and UNT have more similaries than differences and with both programs looking for an anchor, having the Bobcats in C-USA with the Mean Green would only help BOTH universities.

• Upvote 1

Would I like TX State in CUSA? Yes, absolutely. I like the idea of regional rivalries and easy road trips.

Should C-USA add TX State? Probably not. Too close to UTSA and doesn't add a big incremental TV market. They'd be better off looking elsewhere first.

I sound like Coach Mac and the way he interviews himself.

• Upvote 1

No to anymore startups. Anyone happen to think that maybe, just maybe, the inclusion of UTSA, Old Dominion, and UNC-Charolette was a factor in Tulane hitting the road to the Big East? I promise you, it didn't help.

Yes, its true and it is sad. I guarantee you that they have more support from their university and alumni than we do. SWTSU never gave their alumni the ultimate nut kick by dropping down a division level. I suspect that UTSA will block them, but I would be all for Texas State joining the league. It beats the hell out of hosting Florida Atlantic or Old Dominion at Apogee when they bring a total of 20 fans. Plus, you MIGHT be able to get a fellow Texan to go out to the stadium to watch the Bobcats play here, since they have actually heard of that school. As we have all noticed, telling your neighbor that he can come to Denton with you for free to watch South Alabama still doesn't get you anything more than a polite decline. So, yeah, Tulane, and all the other Big East wannabes are ready to jump ship--but I doubt that Old Dominion, UTSA, and Charlotte are any bigger reasons to leave the conference than playing teams that their school's fans and students like being associated with. Seriously, if CUSA had just added North Texas and La Tech only, Tulane, ECU, Marshall, UTEP, USM, UAB, Rice, and Tulsa would still be trying to find a better conference to latch onto, whether they can now or if they cannot.

• Upvote 1

No. I know I am almost alone in my opinion on this but I have zero interest in playing in an all Texas league or division. Two other Texas school, maybe three, fine. Those can make good rivals and Texas is big enough to do that. But four, five, or six schools...? Might as well create Conference Texas, get UTA and UT Tyler and any other UT whatever going in football and have one big glorified high school football league. I have no interest in that and am pretty sure there would be no interest in that on a national level. I want my school to be known nationally.

• Upvote 4