What should C-USA do now?

Harry

The Sunday paper doesn't matter anymore. We have progressed out of the 90s. Now, if we don't make the website...

Fixed just for you......"Also, we don't get much mention in the Sunday papers OR ON THEIR WEBSITE as it is now, but late starts due to the time change would make it even less."

Had a person from the athletic department, back when we were speculating where we would be moving, say that the travel costs were the biggest reason for not going to the Mountain West. Remember there is softball, golf, volleyball, swimming, tennis, etc that also have to travel. Also, we don't get much mention in the Sunday papers OR ON THEIR WEBSITE as it is now, but late starts due to the time change would make it even less.

Yeah, but what about UNT's athletic department of the future that actually sets goals, reaches goals and markets more than just each incoming freshman class

to get significantly new faces and fans at Apogee Stadium? Yes, UTSA gave tickets away but we have not shown we can even do that in a successful manner and

for what it's worth...........it takes a real organization juggernaut to even give the kind of tickets away that UTSA did. (And no, I don't think any of us advocate mass free

ticket give-aways, either).

If North Texas gets in a conglomeration of Sun Belt and old Southland Conference type schools we will have regressed from even the present Sun Belt and that will have the same effect on North Texas alums the day we were told we would be going down

a classification to NCAA 1-AA back in 1982. It's still like Ambassador Joseph P. Kennedy told his 2 sons...."its what people perceive that counts." Why do so many present schools in CUSA want to leave the new CUSA as it is? Perhaps............P-E-R-C-E-P-T-I-O-N?

TCU became exclusive from the rest of Texas-based FBS schools when they left SMU and CUSA to go to the Mountatin West--it seems to have paid off

quite well for the Frogs even while they were in the MWC having no idea that the Big 12 was in their future. And yes, I know they have great endowment coffers but they were pro-active enough to dare to be different and to remove themselves

from who they knew they had to remove themselves from--all of which seemed to be Texas-based schools. I still like the TCU model for UNT from a MWC point of view. A MWC division with 3 Texas schools would be most ideal.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ODU's beat writer:

"Conference USA source says that expansion will come sooner than later in reaction to ECU and Tulane moving to Big East. Potential candidates include Middle Tenn State, Florida Atlantic, N. Mexico State, W. Kentucky."

I think CUSA cherry picks the Belt, if it does anything. Geographically W.K., MTSU and fill in the blanks.Throw in A-State and ULL for good measure if you want. In fact,you could make a pretty good regional conference with UTEP,UTSA,TSU,Rice,UNT,Tulsa,A-State,La.Tech,&ULL. If we really are in dire need for a 10th,then throw in NMSU, as the Louisiana school want nothing to do with ULM. At any rate, its nice to be in the inside looking out rather than the outside looking in for a change.

I personally believe we need to get ourselves into the Mountain West.

GMG

I personally agree with you.

Hey Big 12, you got Fort Worth. Now let North Texas bring in the better class of Dallas and Denton for you.

Rick

Why not? The Big East took TULANE. Those bastards stole my New Orleans trips. RV needs to be on the phone yesterday talking with the Big IX and MWC.

ODU's beat writer:

"Conference USA source says that expansion will come sooner than later in reaction to ECU and Tulane moving to Big East. Potential candidates include Middle Tenn State, Florida Atlantic, N. Mexico State, W. Kentucky."

The SBC on very watered down steroids.

For everyone suggesting that you go out west, what has changed?

When it was suggested that UNT (and maybe ULL and ArkSt) defect to the WAC with UTSA, TXST, LaTech, and NMST most of the people on your board said no way. You didn't want to go west again because of start times, lack of tv and print coverage, travel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I feel like we're the kid in the friend group that keeps trying to hang with the cool kids on the playground. But every time we find the kids on the jungle gym, they decide to move to another place on the playground.

Sigh.

Nah... that would be the Big East teams trying to get into one of the power five conferences.

We're still trying to earn approval and hang out with the uncool kids, that dream of hanging out with the cool kids. But, you are right, they keep moving to another spot on the playground.

When it was suggested that UNT (and maybe ULL and ArkSt) defect to the WAC with UTSA, TXST, LaTech, and NMST most of the people on your board said no way. You didn't want to go west again because of start times, lack of tv and print coverage, travel.

MWC = take the good with the bad

WAC = take the bad with the bad

Conferences have changed. Depending on how the MWC settles out, a large percentage of schools are only an hour behind us. No biggie to me. Especially since I like to ski.