Official Statement from C-USA's Britton Banowsky

Harry

"We thank East Carolina and charter member Tulane for all their contributions to the league and wish them well," Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said in a statement. "These are unprecedented times in higher education. Notwithstanding the changes, we are excited about our future and we remain committed to our strategic plan - a major market, two-division conference that is student-athlete friendly.

"To be clear, we have several options but no new member agreements have made at this time. We appreciate the support of our members and will immediately begin a presidentially led process to evaluate our future options."

read more: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/conference_usa_commissioner_re.html

So...

If the MWC decides to grab UTEP, Rice, Tulsa & UTSA, WTH do we do?

I doubt that the MWC would skip DFW if they were taking those other schools no? That's a doomsday scenario but also illogical.

It's not that far-fetched at all. I am guessing that MWC's order of desirability would be:

1. Tulsa

2/3. UTEP/Rice

4/5/6. UTSA/LaTech/UNT

And it wouldn't surprise me if their 4,5,6 is in that exact order. So if my order is close to correct, and if they add less than 6 teams, we might very well get left out.

We need to jump at any chance to get in the MWC, before this ship sinks.

It's not that far-fetched at all. I am guessing that MWC's order of desirability would be:

1. Tulsa

2/3. UTEP/Rice

4/5/6. UTSA/LaTech/UNT

And it wouldn't surprise me if their 4,5,6 is in that exact order. So if my order is close to correct, and if they add less than 6 teams, we might very well get left out.

We need to jump at any chance to get in the MWC, before this ship sinks.

You forget what is driving all of this...ESPN and TV Money. The Mountain West will not pass over the DFW market. They will also want Houston and SA. Tulsa is a good program but they are the least desirable from a TV Market standpoint. Tulane did not go the the Big East because they were winning football games.

You forget what is driving all of this...ESPN and TV Money. The Mountain West will not pass over the DFW market. They will also want Houston and SA. Tulsa is a good program but they are the least desirable from a TV Market standpoint. Tulane did not go the the Big East because they were winning football games.

I agree that we should be VERY proactive in talking with the MWC.

• Upvote 2

No, I understand that markets are the main mover in all this. But that's the only reason why Tulsa is undervalued and there for the taking. The same thing happened with ECU. . . . they may not have been the BE's first choice, but they saw an undervalued team still sitting there, and they grabbed them.

TV markets are the main factor, but not the only factor. . . . otherwise, the BE would have picked us way ahead of ECU. Quality is still a consideration, as is attendance.

Unless we can start making some noise in basketball and especially in football, we are going to be left without a chair when the music stops. The time for slowly building programs is past . . . we've got to start winning now.

The MWC is one of the few conferences that doesn't seem to add schools strictly based on markets. Reports were that UTSA had a choice between the MWC and CUSA. This may not end well for us, but what else is new. I have a feeling one of UTEP/Tulsa/UTSA/Rice/UNT will be left out and my guy is that it will be us.

With the obvious exception of UTEP, why would any other C-USA school even consider the MWC? I think a merger between the C-USA and the MWC is more likely.

With the obvious exception of UTEP, why would any other C-USA school even consider the MWC? I think a merger between the C-USA and the MWC is more likely.

Good point - and I'm not even sure that MWC is really very attractive to UTEP, especially that they now have UNT, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, and LaTech as close schools.

If you are a mid-major program, sticking with schools in the East and Central parts of the country are really the best way to go. That is where the markets and money are located. Plus, I don't think UTEP would give up its Texas identity by going West.

CUSA is still in a poachers position for mid-major programs. I really think that MTSU would make a lot of sense as a new member because of its Nashville proximity (37th largest market) and strong programs.