Sounds Like We're Losing Another C-USA Member

Mean Green 93-98

Hell, I thought Tulane might announce they are dropping down to FCS level football which would better suit the 25,000 seat stadium-to-be which to me has been quite under-whelming as far as renderings go.

All this is getting to be worse than a bad TV soap opera truth be known. Everyone wants to be where they ain't! LOL!. So while on that subject, why don't we be pro-active and tell the MWC we'd make one helluva of DFW based school entry for their league? Even better than then one which still thrives on long past football history that won an colege football N.C back in the late 1930's. Yet for the most part and even in our 8'th losing season we probaby still draw more actual butts in seats than Doak's alma mater.

Do we all need a new score card for all of our favorite off season subject, ie, conference re-alignment? :mail:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

By the way, what makes the Big East so appealing now?

TV money -- I'm sure the Big East Commissioner told Tulane that their contract would generate more revenue because ESPN would pay them more if that New Orleans market was included. Also, Tulane has always had a strong alliance with SMU.

If I am CUSA, I tell ECU bye-bye in all sports.

If the MWC is expanding, why would they not come after us and the DFW market?

Damn good idea, UNTLifer, wish I'd thought of it first albeit I notice our posts were only 1 minute apart! LOL!

At this rate, all we're going to end up in is a more regionalized Sun Belt Conference; who knows, maybe it would work but I

have been a fan of the MWC for longer than just today, too.

With more expected CUSA membership losses (and didn't we see this coming) I hope Dr. Rawlins would be making some very strategic phone calls because we cannot afford

to be in a Sun Belt/Southland mixture of a conference IMHO because that would have the same effect of the day we were told we had to go down to NCAA D1-AA. It's still all about perception, folks, and in all of your hearts you know that to be true, especially in the Lone Star State.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I wonder if we will lose the eastern contingent as a result of the ECU loss? Possibly could bring USM, UAB to the west and try to build a 10-12 team tight knit regional conference? Adding ULL, WKU, MTSU, and TxSt would create a pretty nice footprint.

Tulsa

UTEP

UTSA

Rice

UNT

TxSt

LaTech

ULL

WKU

MTSU

USM

UAB

This looks really nice to me.

Call me crazy but I don't want to be in an all Texas division or conference plus one Okie school. I love Texas but I also love to travel and see us play in other parts of the country. I go to SA and Austin and Houston enough for work.

Edited by Mean Green Scrappy
  • Upvote 1

I see these scenarios playing out.

-CUSA adds 2 from WKU/MTSU/Ark. St/Ohio/NIU/Miami Ohio/

-CUSA stays at 12

-CUSA loses UTEP and Tulsa to MWC, fills in with TexState/others named above

CUSA loses UTEP/Tulsa/LATech/UNT or UTSA to the MWC. If its UTSA we could be screwed. With only UNT, USM, FIU, UAB, Rice, and Marshall, we merge/poach/return to the SBC.

Okay I will be the first to call you crazy. All these schools with the exception of UTEP are driveable. If you lose UTEP you pick up NMSU who was probably the most long time rival we've had. I don't think USM or UAB bring anything to the table for BE. MWC is attractive if Boise and SDSU return, which may now be their best alternative. There will eventually be four 14 school conferences--Big 10, Big 12, SE, and PAC 10. What conferences that are left after that won't be a great deal different from each other. All you FAU haters have obviously never been to Boca Raton--big $$ fans, new stadium very comparable to ours, access to Miami and Palm Beach markets, and a good student fan base. I personally don't see why C-USA picked FIU over them.

Okay I will be the first to call you crazy. All these schools with the exception of UTEP are driveable. If you lose UTEP you pick up NMSU who was probably the most long time rival we've had. I don't think USM or UAB bring anything to the table for BE. MWC is attractive if Boise and SDSU return, which may now be their best alternative. There will eventually be four 14 school conferences--Big 10, Big 12, SE, and PAC 10. What conferences that are left after that won't be a great deal different from each other. All you FAU haters have obviously never been to Boca Raton--big $$ fans, new stadium very comparable to ours, access to Miami and Palm Beach markets, and a good student fan base. I personally don't see why C-USA picked FIU over them.

Nobody wants NMSU, or they would have gone to the MWC, even after BSU and SDSU left the MWC didn't want to touch them with a 10 foot pole. That says something.

All of the scenarios for further expansion wrongly assume that performance, facilities and geography matter in the current alignment battles. Clearly (Tulane, SDSU, Maryland, West Virginia, etc.) they don't. What's driving this is media markets. If the MWC wants to move east, they'll target 4 teams: SMU, Houston, North Texas and Rice. It should be obvious why.