Mac Show Highlights and Skip Caldwell

MeanGreenGlory

*EDIT: I started this as a Skip Caldwell thread hence the title but it turned into a Mac Show highlights thread and forgot to change the title.

Lost 13 scholarship players (seniors). Signing 20 this class. Will be the first time at the full 85.

Gave out their ideal allocation for ships but I missed all of the exact numbers. At the end of the list he said they're leaving 2 scholarships slotted for "athletes." Doesn't care what side of the ball they're on - just looking for two exceptional guys who can make some serious game changing plays.

Mentioned that they hope to have have 3-4 JUCO transfers in January. The way he phrased it made it sound like they were a package of some sort.

Hopes to have much more depth and skill in 2013.

Alluded that Berglund is really good but still in competition with Thompson and McNulty.

Pegram has given defensive players 6-7 stingers throughout the fall in the scout team - good hard runner.

Only two guys won't be back for spring practice - all other injured players will be back and ready to go.

*George Perspective - McCarney is first coach since 70's to have 4 or more wins in each of his first two seasons.

*Guest Fact - McCarney has two more wins in his first two seasons than Fry did

Mac mentioned a "guy nobody really knows about yet" in Skip Caldwell. Said he came from Kentucky and is eligible for two years. Looks quick and shifty. Mac was high on him as someone who can contribute in an area of weakness for us.

I'm sure other guys have more tidbits so please fill in what I left out.

GO MEAN GREEN!

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 7

He also said that all of his coaches left today to go meet with recruits and that he was leaving real soon to go meet with some. Said it was real important to market. Stressed that there are little things happening behind the scenes that are really changing this department and program into a big time program.

He mentioned wintrich is in Norman talking with coaches Up there about of season programs and learning to get better at what he does.

He said he likes it here and enjoys the support and bosses he has.

In regards to the full compliment of scholarships, he said it doesn't guarantee success but it gives us a better chance to have depth and players pushing other players for roster spots.

• Upvote 1

Looks like he can add to the playmakers we have coming back. Should make the offense better and take some pressure off of chancelor.

Carlos Harris has already done that by stepping in after Chancellor was hurt and turning into a genuine threat. So it will be great to have three genuine threats out there instead of just two. My only concern is if this young man can leap high enough, or quickly go into a slide and scoop it off the turf, to get the passes that are currently being thrown.

Edited by SilverEagle

Somebody provide a correction if needed. Trying to list this from memory.

Coach said he is bringing in 20 recruits, plus the transfers/grayshirts

Expected HS recruiting breakdown as follows:

1 QB

4-5 OL

3 DL

0 RB

3 WR

4 DB

3 LB

2 ATH

The transfer/gray that will become eligible are:

Pegram - RB (2 yrs eligibility) xfer

Bergulund - QB (3 yrs eligibility) xfer

Terrell - WR (2 yrs eligibility) xfer

Caldwell - WR (2 yrs eligibility) xfer

Tucker - RB (HS) gray - still planning to enroll?

Hines - WR (HS) gray - still planning to enroll?

Edited by CurveItAround

DL is an obvious area of need. Coach indicated that he is going after 4-5 OL in recruiting class even though we are pretty deep there on paper. He has previously mentioned that he expects a few players to move positions. I wonder if we can conclude he is planning on moving 1 or 2 players currently listed as OL to the DL to spread out the size and depth?

If so, tylermeangreen may know of this guy. Any east Texas inside info on this guy?

Sorry - don't know much about him - I remember he ran track at Whitehouse and for a while played in the shadow of Whitehouse's all-everything receiver, Trey Metoyer (now at OU the last I heard).

I thought i remembered Caldwell committing to some college in Kansas but another poster said he was coming to UNT from Kentucky.

I will ask around and see if anyone remembers his skill level at Whitehouse.

Sorry - don't know much about him - I remember he ran track at Whitehouse and for a while played in the shadow of Whitehouse's all-everything receiver, Trey Metoyer (now at OU the last I heard).

I thought i remembered Caldwell committing to some college in Kansas but another poster said he was coming to UNT from Kentucky.

I will ask around and see if anyone remembers his skill level at Whitehouse.

Jacob Holmen?

Skip Caldwell is from Whitehouse, and I've heard very good things about him in practice. He will definitely be a contributor at WR next year along with Brelan, Darnell, Darius Terrell, and Carlos. Offensively, I'd like to see us pick up a JUCO guy to replace Fortenberry. I don't think any of the young linemen are ready to step in quite yet. Mac said we'd bring in a few JUCOs and I hope 2 of them are defensive linemen.

Skip Caldwell is from Whitehouse, and I've heard very good things about him in practice. He will definitely be a contributor at WR next year along with Brelan, Darnell, Darius Terrell, and Carlos. Offensively, I'd like to see us pick up a JUCO guy to replace Fortenberry. I don't think any of the young linemen are ready to step in quite yet. Mac said we'd bring in a few JUCOs and I hope 2 of them are defensive linemen.

we don't think a redshirt feldt won't be ready? didn't someone else on the line play center at one time because of injuries?

Don't forget that Teagarden was also coming around as a receiver before his injury.
  • Upvote 2