Meanwhile in San Antonio

Harry

Who cares if it's padded? All recruits see is 8-4. It's winning. And I'm not alone in this line of thinking. Listen to the Ol' Ball Coach himself:

"If we keep playing the top teams from other conferences, our record isn't going to be near as good," Spurrier said bluntly. "In our business, it's all about the record. There's no playoff, so it's whatever your record is. If you play all the best teams around the country and only beat four of them, everybody is going to be mad at you. But if you play some people you can beat and win nine or 10, everybody is happy.

"It's whether you want to be happy or want to play a whole bunch of tough teams."

More...

• Upvote 4

Without retreading old threads, if we could only win one (realistic) game next year, I'd choose this UTSA one. Sure, I'd like to get an upset against potential Nat'l Champ Georgia but . . . it sure would hurt a whole hell of a lot watching my team get beat in the Alamodome.

I went to the TxSt v UTSA game. The dome wasn't the loudest I've ever heard it but it was fun. Hope our game is something similar.

• Upvote 1

I'll give utsa credit for this:

1. they beat So. Alabama

2. they beat an always competitive McNeese State

3. Good crowds in the AlamoDome

But don't get too carried away- utsa's wins were against teams with a combined record of 20-70, including two DII or NAIA programs(not sure) in NW Oklahoma State and A & M Commerce. They have one more game against Hawaii.

But to their credit, they built their program the right way, and in record speed. Next year should be interesting for them. And sadly, if UNT stays on its present football course we could very easily lose to utsa next season. And that would be a travesty and the loss of many UNT fans and supporters.

• Upvote 2

I'll give utsa credit for this:

1. they beat So. Alabama

2. they beat an always competitive McNeese State

3. Good crowds in the AlamoDome

But don't get too carried away- utsa's wins were against teams with a combined record of 20-70, including two DII or NAIA programs(not sure) in NW Oklahoma State and A & M Commerce. They have one more game against Hawaii.

But to their credit, they built their program the right way, and in record speed. Next year should be interesting for them. And sadly, if UNT stays on its present football course we could very easily lose to utsa next season. And that would be a travesty and the loss of many UNT fans and supporters.

UTSA is done for the year. It's S. Alabama that has a game left against Hawaii.

I am definitely not hating on UTSA but they're still in what I call a honeymoon phase with the public. Once they face a full fledged FBS schedule is when we'll know how the reaction will be. I do think they'll have lots of growing pains and blowouts to go through and once fans start noticing that the crowds could really start to dwindle. But I am not going to lie it's been really impressive seeing the response so far and their attendance. I wish we had that enthusiasm here at NT.

It wouldn't shock me if we lose to them considering our track record. Our schedule is about to get more difficult. Why should we expect anything other than obvious?

I hope we play them in San Antonio so I can take a fun trip. Win or lose I will have fun. Maybe they will give us free KFC to go with my tasty beer.

• Upvote 1

Can you imagine the meltdown around here if we get beat by them next year.

Everyone talks down about them, they dont deserve to get to CUSA this soon, the easy games they've won. At times I feel exactly the same... And I bleed green, but if someone asked me, right now, if we played them this coming Saturday, what would happen. I'd be lying if I said I wasnt at all nervous about the game. It will look VERY bad if we cant beat a team like this next year.

• Upvote 1