Spring football will answer a lot of questions

trussbussdad

Spring football never answer anything and will tell us nothing about next season.

No offense, Truss, but if your offense dominates your defense, is your offense good or does your defense suck? No one knows. Same thing reversed.

All Spring football does is give hardcore fans warm fuzzies and unwarranted hope.

We will know when we play Idaho. Maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

UNT90...no offense taken..again, I am just a fan / dad that is trying to keep positive through a tough part of the year coming up during recruiting, off season and spring. I do agree, spring is a time to make the fan base feel good....but I think it also is a time to see what is to come.

I just got off the phone with a close friend of mine who's son plays at Purdue...man...I do not wish that situation on anyone. Before anyone continues the "get rid of Mac" song, they need to talk to these boys like this kid at Purdue.

• Upvote 4

You're both right to some degree. Spring ball is for the coaches more than the fans. They can grade their players against the best that we have and determine the best players for the team. They will know who blew coverage, who ran wrong routes, who can run block, who can wrap up, etc. and waste less time in the fall getting a workable team together. The fans may not know these things but they may be treated to how well the playmakers can handle their own counterparts. Spring ball is more for individuals than the team concept. That will come in the fall. They simply need to know who can play.

• Upvote 2

UNT90...no offense taken..again, I am just a fan / dad that is trying to keep positive through a tough part of the year coming up during recruiting, off season and spring. I do agree, spring is a time to make the fan base feel good....but I think it also is a time to see what is to come.

I just got off the phone with a close friend of mine who's son plays at Purdue...man...I do not wish that situation on anyone. Before anyone continues the "get rid of Mac" song, they need to talk to these boys like this kid at Purdue.

1. what postion does your friend's son play?

2. what year is he?

3. how would he feel about joining pegram again and playing in denton?

• Upvote 2

For any success you have to have an opportunity with a work ethic ! I believe we have both with the facilities, location and our coaches .

The most important part of our football program will be development (RED SHIRTING) . Off season of lifting, running and learning the system .

This was proven 20 years ago with Nebraska and a few years ago with TCU.

Spring football never answer anything and will tell us nothing about next season.

No offense, Truss, but if your offense dominates your defense, is your offense good or does your defense suck? No one knows. Same thing reversed.

All Spring football does is give hardcore fans warm fuzzies and unwarranted hope.

We will know when we play Idaho. Maybe.

Did you ever personally participate in spring football? I don't mean any offense either, but it is huge for both the coaches and the players.

I will agree that the spring game is mainly for fans, seeing that scrimmaging takes place all spring with the game just being a little more organized. The game does help with certain things, such as cutting down penalties and personal game-day preparation.

As far as your point about not knowing if your offense is good or the defense is making them look good, that's a complete fan perspective. The coaches care more about comparing their players from the same side of the ball and same position.

Spring ball is all about evaluating and getting the best players at each position and the best overall lineups on the field. Not necessarily about seeing if your defense is better than your offense.

• Upvote 1

Did you ever personally participate in spring football? I don't mean any offense either, but it is huge for both the coaches and the players.

I will agree that the spring game is mainly for fans, seeing that scrimmaging takes place all spring with the game just being a little more organized. The game does help with certain things, such as cutting down penalties and personal game-day preparation.

As far as your point about not knowing if your offense is good or the defense is making them look good, that's a complete fan perspective. The coaches care more about comparing their players from the same side of the ball and same position.

Spring ball is all about evaluating and getting the best players at each position and the best overall lineups on the field. Not necessarily about seeing if your defense is better than your offense.

No, I agree with both you and Truss about the internal evaluation. It is just useless from a fan point of view because it tells the average fan nothing about how the TEAM is progressing. It just doesn't tell you how good you will be against outside competition. That was my point.

Obviously, it's invaluable to coaches for position by position evaluation.

The highlights lays year for me was a beautiful spring day for tailgating and a good concert at the end. The practice itself was just that, a practice.

The next few months leading up to signing day, recruiting, off season conditioning, etc., then spring football it self will give us a good indicator of next season.

Regarding recruiting...I cannot say I am for or against it...I was a juco many moons ago. Juco's have a spot on every roster. Repeat spot / spots. To fix an immediate need would be a reason to go juco...not to "rebuild" your football team. Example...Look at Charlie Weiss at Kansas. He has over 20 transfers / juco's on his current roster. That is not healthy for long term stability on the field or in the locker room. Football is a team sport and "team" is not implemented with 20+ players being around for 2 years. And did that give him an immediate "fix"?

Mac is the head coach for a reason...he has skins on the wall. And has been stated, before and argued....2 years does not rebuild a program. I like everyone else on here wishes we were bowling...but we are not. It is what it is. Until I get a UNT coaching hat and whistle, I am supporting what is done in the offices, thinking they know what is best for what is put on the football field. I would not make decisions in Coach Macs office any more than I would expect him to make a good decision in my office.

Remember that a football team has many different pieces to the puzzle...I just dont think Coach Mac has all the right pieces yet...I think he will find them...but that is why he has the coaches hat and whistle...not me.

Not attempting to start a fight, but what skins does Mac have on the wall. Last time I checked emmitt (who has been accused of trying to be a football coach) has as many conference championships and as many coach of the year awards as Mac. Not saying that Mac is not the man for the job, but what skins does he have on the wall? I took a lower level Big 12 team and turned them into a mid-level Big 12 team. At Florida, he coached some of the most talented HS players in the nation to a National Championship. If Florida, with that talent, had not won a Championship the entire coaching staff should have been fired. It's not hard to win when you have the cards. You can bluff your way through a few hands, but your true ability shows through if you don't have the cards.

And it really is upsetting when you pick your cards. And the best are from the guy who had your seat before you. Again, not saying that Mac is not the man to lead us, but when you are consistently being out played, sometimes you need to look in the mirror for where the blame lies.

Not attempting to start a fight, but what skins does Mac have on the wall. Last time I checked emmitt (who has been accused of trying to be a football coach) has as many conference championships and as many coach of the year awards as Mac. Not saying that Mac is not the man for the job, but what skins does he have on the wall? I took a lower level Big 12 team and turned them into a mid-level Big 12 team. At Florida, he coached some of the most talented HS players in the nation to a National Championship. If Florida, with that talent, had not won a Championship the entire coaching staff should have been fired. It's not hard to win when you have the cards. You can bluff your way through a few hands, but your true ability shows through if you don't have the cards.

And it really is upsetting when you pick your cards. And the best are from the guy who had your seat before you. Again, not saying that Mac is not the man to lead us, but when you are consistently being out played, sometimes you need to look in the mirror for where the blame lies.

I think this is a pointless question to ask, because as has been stated elsewhere, none of us cares any longer about Coach Mac's skins on the wall. But yes, he did win the Big 12 Coach of the Year Award in 2004. And his coaching resume far exceeds any hire North Texas has made since Hayden Fry.

But I don't care about any of that any more. He has already been hired; he is guaranteed to be our coach through 2013, and almost certainly through 2014. I don't care about what he did at other schools, and I don't care about hypotheticals about what he might do here. I just want to see results, and by results I mean actual wins on the field.

• Upvote 1

Bet we won't know who the starting QB is at the end of spring practice. I say we won't know until maybe the Monday before the home opener against Idaho. Mac will play this QB competition close to the vest.

Yep. Expect DT to run with 1st team in the spring scrimmage, it's his to lose.

No, I agree with both you and Truss about the internal evaluation. It is just useless from a fan point of view because it tells the average fan nothing about how the TEAM is progressing. It just doesn't tell you how good you will be against outside competition. That was my point.

Obviously, it's invaluable to coaches for position by position evaluation.

The highlights lays year for me was a beautiful spring day for tailgating and a good concert at the end. The practice itself was just that, a practice.

Gotcha. I guess your point is more that we as fans shouldn't put too much stock in how our team looks in spring, because you don't have much to base it off of. I took it as the only purpose of spring is to rile up your fan base and get some more money, which does describe the spring game to an extent.

But hey, even if it provides false hope, you gotta have some things in life to look forward to. After basketball is over spring really can help hold one over for a bit.

The guy is a DL or two and a couple or WRs from making this a go. Look everywhere else:

-Talented OL which will be very experienced the next two years.

-Experienced QB who played level depsite all the problems at WR.

-Depth and talent at tight end.

-Depth and experience returning at RB

I think we need a true H-back/F-back-type...but, really, that's just my preference as someone who also has a degree form Tulsa and has seen what they with Charles Clay, Willie Carter, and Garrett Mills.

We do need WRs...not just guys who walk on and wear WR numbers on their jerseys.

-Secondary is young, but very talented and now with a year under their belts. I was skeptical about moving Whitfield to corner; but, I think he becomes a stud there longterm.

-Linebacker isn't going to be bad with upperclassmen Derek Akunne and Zachary Orr leading the way. We've got some young guys there as well who can run.

-The only question mark - and the biggest - is will we get some depth on the DL. We have some guy who put in good play there, but there aren't enough. Abbe and Boutwell will be seniors...after that...a huge drop off in experience. Need the redshirting kids and whomever we sign in February to really show up and step up.

• Upvote 2

Come on dude... I saw plenty of drops, piss poor tackling and play calling as I saw overthrows.

It wasn't Derek's fault we gave up 31 points in a half to Middle...without their starting RB.

Rick

Thoughts on DT....great guy, tough, has character...betting he will go far in life....I saw many screwups by him...just like most of the other players out there...over throwing the ball....yes, many times....but I also saw him throw some great passes...and so have you...his lack of running ability hurts him...as does has lack of ability to look over the field for open receivers...I saw many wide open receivers he missed...actually often....but I think if they structured passes of a shorter nature, with recievers in the same area..like crossing patterns, etc...or long and short on single side of field, perhaps he could do better...perhaps he just isn't being taught how to do the things he needs to do....anyway,...he is a middle of the pack QB but I thnik he is a top of the pack person.