UTA - UNT

utamav91

Saw UTA mentioned in a few threads, so thought I'd start a thread if that's OK.

Our next game is at Samford on saturday...and in years past they play a slow-down offense, which goes against UTA's usual offense and we've had trouble against those teams before. If we can beat them, then I feel good about our 2pt road win at UC-Baskersfield and our 4pt home loss to OU. We led by 11 early in that game, forgot how to score for about 10 minutes and had to come back from 17 down in the 2nd half to tie it up before eventually losing. That being said, we played about 30 minutes of good basketball and lost by 4. If we'd just made another 3 or stopped their big-time run in the first half, we probably win that game.

But we're learning how to win games that in years past, we lose by 20 and are never really in. Baby steps I guess.

So I don't know what to make of the team. When we pressed OU, we got a lot of turnovers (which is what we did to your guards last year and other teams as well). But once a team breaks our press and takes care of the ball, we can be pretty average defensively in my opinion. And offense is still trying to replace Ingram and Reed and find a rhythm, which it hasn't in either game yet. A lot of our points are going to have to come from blocked shots, rebounding and creating turnovers. Mitchell will be tough to guard. Could be interesting. The 3s aren't falling for us at all, so we're shooting a lot of mid-range jump shots and winning the battle of the boards and 1-1 so far. An inside game may materialize, but so far not yet.

But considering we drew 6400+ for OU to the CPC the other night it was totally loud and intense, I can't wait for 2000 UNT fans to come to Arlington and cheer the Mean Green on next year at our building--our annual big rivalry game with ya'll might be a near sellout like OU. That should be some great atmosphere.

• Upvote 3

North Texas better have their heads on straight or we could see another game like last year. Time to solidify the rotation to eight players. UTA is not the game you want to keep experimenting with the roster.

• Upvote 1

I've normally trash talked my UTA friends to death at this point of the season.... I haven't said a word about this game this year.

Get run out of your own gym by UTA and... I don't wanna think about it.

Playing in the super pit is a lot different than playing on the stage for us. I say a week's rest after a lot of travel will be that start of a win streak carried through February.

I admit I had dreams of sweet 16 and hopes of top 25........ That being said I still think we will win a lot of games left on our schedule.

Samford vs. UTA starts in 30 minutes.

If UTA loses at Samford (rankings were roughly #160 at #230? or so as of a few days ago)...I say UNT by 10 or 15.

If we win tonight, we may have a chance at winning at UNT. But nothing like last year. That'll never happen again. We just had a good night, UNT had a bad night. That's all.

But I've seen too many games in this series go down to the final minute or where the better team just gets outplayed and the lesser team wins. That's why it's a great series.

• Downvote 1

It wasn't pretty but we won 64-58. Samford slows the game down like S.F. Austin, which always gives us problems since we like to press and play up-tempo. UTA picked up a lot of fouls early, Samford shot a lot of free throws as a result, we turned the ball over a lot but are developing a nice inside game. A few threes fell for us finally, Samford hoisted and hit just enough threes to make it close and we escape with a win. This year's team isn't as good as last year's at this point in the season, so I'd say it's anyone's guess to who wins next week. If UTA can play a consistent 40:00, I like our chances but Reves and Edwards are gonna have their hands full with Mitchell. If you can open up the floor with some threes, we're in trouble I think.

Our New Head Coach has never been a Head Coach before and most likely does not understand how important this game is to UTA - my guess is that UNT will come out flat again this year and get down 15 or so within the first 5 min. of the game and may not be able to make a come back to win the game.

TM tends to get in foul trouble early in the game - Team level of on court intensity and overall lack of defense - is a weakness that has not been over come this season - this could be a long night for the Mean Green.

This is the closest thing to a rivalry that we have, so I'll say: UTA sucks. Even if we lose at least I didn't go to UTA.

That's about all I have. Anyone else have anything good?

I am trying to get a crew together to come up for this game. The Super Pit CAN give us a great home court advantage, but we need folks there.

Bleep the bleeping Mavericks!

Samford vs. UTA starts in 30 minutes.

If UTA loses at Samford (rankings were roughly #160 at #230? or so as of a few days ago)...I say UNT by 10 or 15.

If we win tonight, we may have a chance at winning at UNT. But nothing like last year. That'll never happen again. We just had a good night, UNT had a bad night. That's all.

But I've seen too many games in this series go down to the final minute or where the better team just gets outplayed and the lesser team wins. That's why it's a great series.

I appreciate your humility... but you guys, as fans, and your team should be very confident coming into this game. I don't expect anything like last year's debacle either, but that's only because Mitchell is on the floor.

You did know we were beaten by a DII team right?

Go Mean Green!