Not a very positive outlook for the Big East

Harry

The Big East?

Problems, problems, problems. New Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is in the middle of shark invested waters with only a rubber raft and a few fragile paddles as protection.

Aresco is maintaining the good fight of a nation-wide conference covering 4 time zones,. But who is going to watch? That is not Aresco’s biggest concern,

Keeping the core group of Big East basketball schools together is the problem. And it is growing. The Catholic schools, led by Georgetown and Marquette, kept quiet as a concession to the football money being funneled in each year. But they counted on Big East basketball maintaining its high-profile with schools such as Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville UConn and Notre Dame as the anchors. Now all be gone.

Oops.

It might take just one Catholic school to walk out the door and the others will follow to form an 8 or 10 school all basketball, Catholic League, which will leave a group of bewildered group of BCS wannabees in a Conference usa ,not USA ,configuration.

If that happens, Big East football can officially close shop.

And the next giant step towards what looks more and more like a 4 or at most five league Super Conference of 14 to 16 teams will have been taken.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3604

I have a few thoughts about this ...

* I hate to say it but I like how the B10 goes about their business (other than the fact that they were a force behind the BCS staying as long as it did). The B10 Network seems to have been done the right way and encourages the schools to stay together. I think University of Texas Regents could learn a lot from that example ... unless their ultimate plan is to go independent. Otherwise, the Longhorn network my cost the school a lot in the long run or force them to join a far off conference.

* Notre Dame should have joined the B10, imho It just makes the most sense. The ACC bent over backwards to get ND to join in other sports and basically reap benefits on the football side as well.

* Is the B10 done at 14? Maybe for now.

• Upvote 1

Big East is on shacky ground. The BCS (Big 6) Conferences are looking to shrink to 4 with 16 teams each. SEC got there this year and Big 10 looking to get there next year. Strangely enough, there are 3 conferences that are "unstable" - Big East, Big 12 (almost broke up last year), and ACC (lost Maryland to Big 10).

All of this going toward a BCS playoff system leaving out everyone not in one of those Big 6 conferences.