Fight song

Eagle96

For the record, I'm a current student and I think adding "Mother F***ing" to our Fight Song is absolutely stupid.

It doesn't make us look "edgy" or "sharp" or "current."

1 -- It makes us copy-cats -- as some of the very proponents of it have admitted.

2 -- It makes us look extremely immature. It's like the kid that drops the F-bomb in front of his parents at the dinner table to see if he can "get away with it." The "parents" (administration) have spoken and said it's not okay. But administration and authority be damned. "We can't be told what to do, we're being creative!" *by copying someone else* Get over it and move on.

3 -- Just because you are okay with shouting the F-bomb in front of kids, doesn't make it okay. But come on -- nobody is stifling anyone's creativity by asking us to avoid obscenities in the stands.

Now, I do realize children will hear things, regardless. But there comes a point when people need to look beyond the scope of themselves or their own little "bubble" and realize they need to respect other peoples' boundaries as well. I know my children will eventually hear the F-bomb somewhere and I'll have to talk to them about it but I'd like to delay that conversation as long as possible until a time where they're able to handle it. Plus, I'd prefer my six year old not start singing along with it just because "the cool kids in green started doing it."

-- Franchise

I dont think trying to look cool has anything to do with it. For once, the students are trying to get excited about the game awhile creating a real and exciting college football atmosphere. Come join my group down on the 50 yard line next year and we will show you what being "cool" is all about.

• Upvote 4

Run along little boy and let the grown-ups discuss this.

-- Franchise

Funny that this was in response to someone I believe to have made some stupid comments before, but in this case you certainly look like the villain. You're blatantly trying to belittle him and say that his argument has no merit (some of which I agree is not very compelling as it is mere argument, though other parts do show some validity). Plus you have this exceptionally self-indulgent pseudonym that appears to have been created in order to instill some sort of false awe in readers but instead comes off as patently arrogant and is a likely sign of a huge inferiority complex. Your response was more immature than those made by the person towards whom it was directed. You've made a few interesting statements regarding the state of the program, but your knowledge of sports does not define you as a person. At least, I hope it doesn't.

I'm not sure what kind of franchise you are, but I'll certainly think twice before going to any Dunkin' Donuts in DFW the next time I'm in the area.

Jabs aside, I'd like to see that you are more than just your interesting statements about sports programs. Your decent start on here made me think you were better than this.

Edited by JesseMartin

Since copycat thoughts have been a part of this discussion, I also wanted to point out that unless someone is aware of the student movement having a specific origin based on another school's spirit development, we can't presume that this isn't merely a natural development of mass excitement. I don't expect the student body to come up with something unique enough that has never been done before, nor do I expect that they have unanimously decided, in larger and more spirited numbers than ever before, to suddenly decide that somehow UNT is - or should be - exactly like [insert big-name college football school here].

If someone better versed in social psychology would like to posit a theory or perform a poll or survey regarding this phenomenon, then we could all get on with things. But as it stands, we suddenly - and remarkably - have an electrified student fanbase that has, equally suddenly, chosen to use the same methods of what has been herein termed "immaturity" to the same levels as the similarly situated students of our oft-envied FBS rivals, albeit far later than the others. So regardless of any presumptions as to the origins, the UNT student fans have taken on a tact similar to those who rose to greater heights while we were wondering why we didn't...and we're debating why they should, or should not, be allowed to. Have I encapsulated this appropriately enough, or am I missing something?

I dont think trying to look cool has anything to do with it. For once, the students are trying to get excited about the game awhile creating a real and exciting college football atmosphere. Come join my group down on the 50 yard line next year and we will show you what being "cool" is all about.

First of all, thank you for your service. That's without question more important to me than what goes on, on a field of play. I am in a family that's comprised of several members of the military. I'm grateful for everything you men and women do for our country.

That doesn't mean I can't disagree with you, though. While I agree that the students are getting excited about the program, and that's something I don't have a problem with, I do have a problem with creating an atmosphere that makes a lot of parents uncomfortable. To some, and I'll even agree that to most it probably isn't about "being cool," but if it is to even one person, then my original argument is valid.

Funny that this was in response to someone I believe to have made some stupid comments before, but in this case you certainly look like the villain. You're blatantly trying to belittle him and say that his argument has no merit (some of which I agree is not very compelling as it is mere argument, though other parts do show some validity). Plus you have this exceptionally self-indulgent pseudonym that appears to have been created in order to instill some sort of false awe in readers but instead comes off as patently arrogant and is a likely sign of a huge inferiority complex. Your response was more immature than those made by the person towards whom it was directed. You've made a few interesting statements regarding the state of the program, but your knowledge of sports does not define you as a person. At least, I hope it doesn't.

I'm not sure what kind of franchise you are, but I'll certainly think twice before going to any Dunkin' Donuts in DFW the next time I'm in the area.

Jabs aside, I'd like to see that you are more than just your interesting statements about sports programs. Your decent start on here made me think you were better than this.

Jesse, I respect you a lot. I've read a lot of your comments on here, and while I don't agree with all of them you typically tend to come on here with valid and well-formulated thoughts. I respect that a lot.

As for my moniker, it's one that was given to me (I did not choose it) about nine years ago. A manager that I highly respected and still keep in contact with from a previous job gave it to me and it has stuck ever since. It has nothing to do with being condescending.

Yes, my previous reply was a little snarky. It was supposed to be.

Was it mean-spirited? No. I do apologize if it came across that way.

The dude had resorted to making assumptions about me and my parenting style with words that came across to me as condescending. So I returned serve with a smile on my face. I apologize that a forum like this lacks facial expression and overall demeanor that I can effectively convey. Perhaps I should have included some sort of smiley like this little guy: :thumbsu:

Other than all of that, I appreciate the kind words.

-- Franchise

If the students file complaint and it passes for something as trivial as that then do whatever you want. If at some point one graduates and has kids, or gets a job where you are expected to act in some sort of position of authority and be taken seriously, those words will find their way out of your vocabulary.

They are just words, but mean greener should know better than anyone that when we put words together, at certain times, and in certain contexts, they can harm and offend. Whether its gender, racism, sexual orientation, or threatening, there are just things you don't say ever or to certain people or in certain situations because it makes you look stupid, insensitive, racist, aggressive, gender or age discriminatory etc. Many politicians and public figures can prove this.

I can't tell you what I would say in an environment such as Afghanistan or Iraq or marine boot camp, because ive never been there but, like a sailor, the vernacular shifts to those situations.

I could care less what the students do. It's stupid and childish, just like students are and should be. But if you think it's a right to say whatever you want when you want and everyone else be damned, then you have a myopic, self centered view of your own little world. It's screaming for attention.

I'm not an old guy, I've graduated fairly recently. I was a student once. I don't have kids and I've been known to let some f bombs fly. But, I'm cognizant of my environment and those around me. Students aren't blazing trails in attendance or vocabulary. Get excited. If you can't get excited without saying those words, then say the words with the mob, and make the environment of apogee very opponent unfriendly and family unfriendly. I don't have a high opinion of texas tech fans because they are rowdy and throw batteries at opponents. They have a ton of fans and are some of the most dedicated in college football, and I've formulated a general opinion that most of their fans are assholes, even though I understand its probably just some students or small group of mental midgets. There's some in every fan base and I'm sure we have ours

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

If the students file complaint and it passes for something as trivial as that then do whatever you want. If at some point one graduates and has kids, or gets a job where you are expected to act in some sort of position of authority and be taken seriously, those words will find their way out of your vocabulary.

They are just words, but mean greener should know better than anyone that when we put words together, at certain times, and in certain contexts, they can harm and offend. Whether its gender, racism, sexual orientation, or threatening, there are just things you don't say ever or to certain people or in certain situations because it makes you look stupid, insensitive, racist, aggressive, gender or age discriminatory etc. Many politicians and public figures can prove this.

I can't tell you what I would say in an environment such as Afghanistan or Iraq or marine boot camp, because ive never been there but, like a sailor, the vernacular shifts to those situations.

I could care less what the students do. It's stupid and childish, just like students are and should be. But if you think it's a right to say whatever you want when you want and everyone else be damned, then you have a myopic, self centered view of your own little world. It's screaming for attention.

I'm not an old guy, I've graduated fairly recently. I was a student once. I don't have kids and I've been known to let some f bombs fly. But, I'm cognizant of my environment and those around me. Students aren't blazing trails in attendance or vocabulary. Get excited. If you can't get excited without saying those words, then say the words with the mob, and make the environment of apogee very opponent unfriendly and family unfriendly. I don't have a high opinion of texas tech fans because they are rowdy and throw batteries at opponents. They have a ton of fans and are some of the most dedicated in college football, and I've formulated a general opinion that most of their fans are assholes, even though I understand its probably just some students or small group of mental midgets. There's some in every fan base and I'm sure we have ours

I don't do it. But if students want to say it, then they have every right to say it. Do you really think that anyone who says it uses "motherf'ing" at all, anyway? Highly doubt it. To assume saying it in a fight song means you'll say it in a professional environment is ludicrous.

Well, of course it needs to be unfriendly to the opponents. Homefield advantage. We shouldn't make their stay luxurious. That's why Boomer is right next to them. Unfriendly to children? Nah. If your kids don't expect to see/hear some bad/outrageous things at a COLLEGE game...well, they're in for a shock. The hill? Drunk people? I went to the Texans playoff game last year...nobody was sober, plenty profanities were heard and the Bengals fans got heckled all night. Nothing beat my favorite, the Browns game I attended as a child, bottlegate. Or an old Cowboys-Texans game at Texas Stadium in which a smack-talking Texan fan got beer drenched. Maybe you prefer the dead atmosphere at the high profile seen-but-not-heard Jerryworld...but that's not football and that's not what it's about.

As a kid who grew up at Browns and Buckeyes games by a now-executive who also grew up at Browns and Buckeyes games (he doesn't use the profanity he used at games at his job, obviously), he and I turned out okay and saying MF'in at a COLLEGE FOOTBALL game is going to do no harm.

I'm no longer going to argue this point because I'm tired of it and the bubble suburban Ft Worth mentality comes out to play and is more frustrating than watching the Astros.

Whoever necro'd this thread needs to be castrated.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I don't do it. But if students want to say it, then they have every right to say it. Do you really think that anyone who says it uses "motherf'ing" at all, anyway? Highly doubt it. To assume saying it in a fight song means you'll say it in a professional environment is ludicrous.

Well, of course it needs to be unfriendly to the opponents. Homefield advantage. We shouldn't make their stay luxurious. That's why Boomer is right next to them. Unfriendly to children? Nah. If your kids don't expect to see/hear some bad/outrageous things at a COLLEGE game...well, they're in for a shock. The hill? Drunk people? I went to the Texans playoff game last year...nobody was sober, plenty profanities were heard and the Bengals fans got heckled all night. Nothing beat my favorite, the Browns game I attended as a child, bottlegate. Or an old Cowboys-Texans game at Texas Stadium in which a smack-talking Texan fan got beer drenched. Maybe you prefer the dead atmosphere at the high profile seen-but-not-heard Jerryworld...but that's not football and that's not what it's about.

As a kid who grew up at Browns and Buckeyes games by a now-executive who also grew up at Browns and Buckeyes games (he doesn't use the profanity he used at games at his job, obviously), he and I turned out okay and saying MF'in at a COLLEGE FOOTBALL game is going to do no harm.

I'm no longer going to argue this point because I'm tired of it and the bubble suburban Ft Worth mentality comes out to play and is more frustrating than watching the Astros.

One day (maybe), you'll have a 2 year-old and you'll understand the difference between "parenting" and "bubble".

Also, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I don't care if college students use whatever language they want when sitting in a student section at a football game... just keep it out of the fight song & alma mater. Just 2 songs. That's it. Is that too much to ask? I give an eye roll when the "Bull$***" chant starts, but I don't really care.

What's wrong with "Fly like an <M'F'n> Eagle"?? Why don't y'all do that? With the number of times the Green Brigade plays it, you'll probably have more chances to sing that anyway.

• Upvote 3

One day (maybe), you'll have a 2 year-old and you'll understand the difference between "parenting" and "bubble".

Also, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I don't care if college students use whatever language they want when sitting in a student section at a football game... just keep it out of the fight song & alma mater. Just 2 songs. That's it. Is that too much to ask? I give an eye roll when the "Bull$***" chant starts, but I don't really care.

What's wrong with "Fly like an <M'F'n> Eagle"?? Why don't y'all do that? With the number of times the Green Brigade plays it, you'll probably have more chances to sing that anyway.

Well, first off, I wouldn't take my 2 year old to a football game.

It doesn't matter what students say as long as they are accepting of the consequences. The consequence of screaming mfing at the top of your lungs on national tv is that you've castrated the fight song. Your move mean greener. Get a petition to make the band play the while song and let's see if espn chooses to broadcast our game or dump the audio every time the fight song is played. It'll be fun. Get a petition that adds the words in writing to the fight song. I have little doubt it will pass.

Like I said, I don't care. But I would probably reconsider my donation to a school that puts that in writing into their fight song.

Your problem is you think there should be no consequences for doing what you want. What's with all of the references to Fort Worth suburbia?

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter what students say as long as they are accepting of the consequences. The consequence of screaming mfing at the top of your lungs on national tv is that you've castrated the fight song. Your move mean greener. Get a petition to make the band play the while song and let's see if espn chooses to broadcast our game or dump the audio every time the fight song is played. It'll be fun. Get a petition that adds the words in writing to the fight song. I have little doubt it will pass.

Like I said, I don't care. But I would probably reconsider my donation to a school that puts that in writing into their fight song.

Your problem is you think there should be no consequences for doing what you want. What's with all of the references to Fort Worth suburbia?

No consequences? Well, ESPN loves LSU. And, wait, did I say that they'd add MF'in to the song? LMFAO! No, haha. This is rich. They are going to be forced to add the end of the song back or face repercussions, if the band continues to cut the end. The SGA is getting it fixed or putting it up to a vote. And the vote will clearly go in the favor of keeping the full song.

Fort Worth suburbia comments are because this is the only place where people complain that students use profanity at games. Literally. The only. They're okay with referring to other, poorer residents as trash and getting wasted every night but not the profane addition to the fight song.

As you can tell, I despise Ft Worth suburbs.

Good stuff, good stuff.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 3

No consequences? Well, ESPN loves LSU. And, wait, did I say that they'd add MF'in to the song? LMFAO! No, haha. This is rich. They are going to be forced to add the end of the song back or face repercussions, if the band continues to cut the end. The SGA is getting it fixed or putting it up to a vote. And the vote will clearly go in the favor of keeping the full song.

Fort Worth suburbia comments are because this is the only place where people complain that students use profanity at games. Literally. The only. They're okay with referring to Watauga residents as trash and getting wasted every night but not the profane addition to the fight song.

Good stuff, good stuff.

Now were Getting somewhere. You're mad at people that bash watauga? What about Saginaw or benbrook or white settlement?

como and stop6 are bastions of bubble living.

The woodlands are rough man.

They are going to be forced to add the end of the song back or face repercussions, if the band continues to cut the end. The SGA is getting it fixed or putting it up to a vote. And the vote will clearly go in the favor of keeping the full song.

I'm curious how the student body is going to "force" anyone to do anything, let alone force repercussions on anyone. The student body is not exactly in a position of power.

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

How-I-feel-about-the-drama-alpha-and-ome

Edited by UNTFan23

Now were Getting somewhere. You're mad at people that bash watauga? What about Saginaw or benbrook or white settlement?

como and stop6 are bastions of bubble living.

The woodlands are rough man.

The Woodlands is pretty terrible about that. It's isolated and far away from the city though, so they're harmless. I lived in Keller and you weren't good enough unless you lived in a McMansion and some of the comments about the song are akin to the bubble mentality that I think many in the metroplex hold whether that's true or not. Anyway, look. I don't like that the band took out the only tradition we had. I don't think they have a right. I just don't like the alumni/student disconnect because it's really...bad for our future. Edited by meangreener

The Woodlands is pretty terrible about that. It's isolated and far away from the city though, so they're harmless. I lived in Keller and you weren't good enough unless you lived in a McMansion and some of the comments about the song are akin to the bubble mentality that I think many in the metroplex hold whether that's true or not. Anyway, look. I don't like that the band took out the only tradition we had. I don't think they have a right. I just don't like the alumni/student disconnect because it's really...bad for our future.

So suddenly shouting out obscenities is a right?! Wow.

Edited by UNTFan23

The Woodlands is pretty terrible about that. It's isolated and far away from the city though, so they're harmless. I lived in Keller and you weren't good enough unless you lived in a McMansion and some of the comments about the song are akin to the bubble mentality that I think many in the metroplex hold whether that's true or not. Anyway, look. I don't like that the band took out the only tradition we had. I don't think they have a right. I just don't like the alumni/student disconnect because it's really...bad for our future.

There's a whole metroplex out there man, you should have moved to south lake Plano or highland park. There's next to no pretentious assholes there.