Fight song

Eagle96

More assumptions and BS.

:goodjob:

And before anyone here goes gravedigging, yes, we both said 'MF'er' Eagles at a game. I decided to stop using it as I think it's a trashy word, but point still remains.

Oh, and FIFY.

You know, if y'all disrespect and dislike student behavior so much, why don't you just go hardcore root for another terrible football team mainly with adult supporters at the games, like the Cowboys? See, unlike UNT (a University in which is populated by mainly youth students who go to UNT to learn, the football team being made up of youth students) the Cowboys fill their stadium with yuppie Kellerites with too much money who yell at people who stand up and cheer at the games. I'm not criticizing all the money and help you have given the athletic department. I'm simply criticizing the fact that you dislike student behavior at a football game at a major university.

Yuppie Kellerites? Now, that is a hoot! Dug yourself a bit of a hole here mean greener....best to just move along as you have insulted pretty much everyone now...so, nice job. Time to go back to wherever you seem to think is such an enlightened place to live. Am sure the program will survive without your massive support. Enjoy wherever it is you love so much..am sure they will be happy to have you go off on them as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

More assumptions and BS.

:goodjob:

And before anyone here goes gravedigging, yes, we both said 'MF'er' Eagles at a game. I decided to stop using it as I think it's a trashy word, but point still remains.

Oh, and FIFY.

You know, if y'all disrespect and dislike student behavior so much, why don't you just go hardcore root for another terrible football team mainly with adult supporters at the games, like the Cowboys? See, unlike UNT (a University in which is populated by mainly youth students who go to UNT to learn, the football team being made up of youth students) the Cowboys fill their stadium with yuppie Kellerites with too much money who yell at people who stand up and cheer at the games. I'm not criticizing all the money and help you have given the athletic department. I'm simply criticizing the fact that you dislike student behavior at a football game at a major university.

• Upvote 1

Yuppie Kellerites? Now, that is a hoot! Dug yourself a bit of a hole here mean greener....best to just move along as you have insulted pretty much everyone now...so, nice job. Time to go back to wherever you seem to think is such an enlightened place to live. Am sure the program will survive without your massive support. Enjoy wherever it is you love so much..am sure they will be happy to have you go off on them as well.

Who did I insult? D/FW people? So D/FW=everyone? I think that the enormous amount of Houston, Denton, Austin, San Antonio, and OoS people at NT disagree. But OK. I insulted D/FW because it really is an undesirable place to live. Denton is a fantastic little town, but that's about it in the area, except perhaps Downtown & the immediately surrounding areas of Fort Worth. The suburbs are segregated hellholes; the "Mid-Cities", Plano, Frisco, etc. I couldn't care less what they think of me, nor the way I act, because these places are filled with out of touch yuppies with too much $ and little brain activity. But they're not Denton, and if you moved to one of those suburbs, or hell, DFW, that's your problem. Keller was the only place I've ever been to in which calling someone "Watauga trash" was an accepted term. (Especially considering those people still lived in $200K houses.)

Done arguing here, this thread has derailed quickly. I do see though nothing has changed around here, however.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Some time no change is the best. You talk about how intolerable everyone in DFW are, which is a pretty broad generalization, yet can't figure out why you've pissed people off. Nobody is making you live around here. Besides, the thread was about how classless adding MF'er to our fight song is and you don't agree. Again, tells me all I need to know. BTW, I feel chanting bullshit after a poor call is classless also and reflects poorly on the people participating. Blame my parents, and my father played and coached up to the college level.

• Upvote 5

• 4 months later...

It's sad that nobody else seems to notice how things are added to other UNT songs. An example: Ever heard the alma mater sung as, "But North Texas, who? North Texas, we love." I'm thinking that's also classless, along with muthaf**kin eagles that's just sad.

It's school spirit, and I have to agree that college kids are just going to be college kids, and we shouldn't stop them from doiog just that. Do I really wish it hadn't gotten on TV last year? Definitely. But I don't think the practice itself is so horrible. Maybe, just maybe, it's part of why we have a students section, so that students can what teey want, without adults barging in on it. It's a shame that we can't respect that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's sad that nobody else seems to notice how things are added to other UNT songs. An example: Ever heard the alma mater sung as, "But North Texas, who? North Texas, we love." I'm thinking that's also classless, along with muthaf**kin eagles that's just sad.

It's school spirit, and I have to agree that college kids are just going to be college kids, and we shouldn't stop them from doiog just that. Do I really wish it hadn't gotten on TV last year? Definitely. But I don't think the practice itself is so horrible. Maybe, just maybe, it's part of why we have a students section, so that students can what teey want, without adults barging in on it. It's a shame that we can't respect that.

:no:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Before I defected from UNT and my name was still Eagle Green, I used to love shouting m'fn at the end of the fight song whether we were at Fouts, in the Super Pit or just walking past the tower when the fight song would play at various times of the day. Or shall I bring up friday nights in Clark Park before Saturday's game ? Is it inappropriate? Sure. BUT It's something the current undergrads and young alumni take pride in, if you older alumns understood feel and sense of unity many students have while doing it, then maybe this would not be such an issue. I can honestly say that the current generation has more pride for UNT after being there for a few months-few years compared to some who have been around for 10.

In the alma mater, keep in mind "North Texas?" WHO?" Was also a student insert. Are you guys going to cause a shitstorm about that too?

After I defected and changed my name to Cougar King, the attitude regarding student inserts at UH and many other schools from what I've seen is a complete 180 from the attitude in Denton.

Exhibit A

That's called the Cougar Whomp. Instead of saying "Talkin' bout them cougars" Everybody says "M'fn cougars!" (which you can clearly hear in the video) and you know what, the old school either loves it (and even sings along!) or turns a blind eye to it because they understand that the younger generation is going to do their own thing.

Sorry, but if we had the alumns like some (not all) of those on GMG, we wouldn't have our newest tradition that became official not too long ago. Our "WHOSE HOUSE" chant.

The culture at UNT needs a serious faclift which thankfully is in the middle of the process transpiring and a few friends of mine in Denton have told me it has been a lot better.

*Insert obligatory childish remark from Emmitt because he can never come up with an intellegent response, which I blame on inbreeding or a meatloaf joke fom UNT90 (which I have actually became quite fond of.)*

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

The origin of the "Who" in the alma mater probably goes back twenty years or more at this point. I know the Talon who started it - and he'd already graduated when I started UNT in 1996. I think it just took a long time to catch on, but it's been around a generation..

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

This is ridiculous. We finally have a "real school" tradition that gets the students fired up, and the older alumni are against it. I find this very funny because I know that the students saying these added words are the ones who make road trip games and stay for the whole game even though UNT is losing, and most of the alumni/students are leaving. These are also the students who want to change UNT into a more spirited and motivated school instead of letting the band try to motivate us with Friday night high school pump up songs.

I have been on numerous road trips to away games such as Clemson, LSU, and Houston where added cuss words are very common for fight songs and other activities involving the student section. I will probably get the response of just because they do it does not mean that we should. I know we cannot compare ourselves to LSU but look at the potential we can have by creating a motivated "real school" student section. If the students are fired up/motivated, then the football team will feed off of it and know they have a real fan base. I also know that a lot of the football players love it.

I am damn proud to have recently graduated from this outstanding university and I cannot wait to see a change in UNT athletics.

-Spring 13 grad, Marine and Afghanistan Veteran

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

This is ridiculous. We finally have a "real school" tradition that gets the students fired up, and the older alumni are against it. I find this very funny because I know that the students saying these added words are the ones who make road trip games and stay for the whole game even though UNT is losing, and most of the alumni/students are leaving. These are also the students who want to change UNT into a more spirited and motivated school instead of letting the band try to motivate us with Friday night high school pump up songs.

I have been on numerous road trips to away games such as Clemson, LSU, and Houston where added cuss words are very common for fight songs and other activities involving the student section. I will probably get the response of just because they do it does not mean that we should. I know we cannot compare ourselves to LSU but look at the potential we can have by creating a motivated "real school" student section. If the students are fired up/motivated, then the football team will feed off of it and know they have a real fan base. I also know that a lot of the football players love it.

I am damn proud to have recently graduated from this outstanding university and I cannot wait to see a change in UNT athletics.

-Spring 13 grad, Marine and Afghanistan Veteran

You sir, are a real hero. Exactly.

• Upvote 3

Before I defected from UNT and my name was still Eagle Green, I used to love shouting m'fn at the end of the fight song whether we were at Fouts, in the Super Pit or just walking past the tower when the fight song would play at various times of the day.

If you like it, it HAS to mean that it is one of the worst ideas in the history of the school.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

We'll praise her name
Boost her to fame
Fight for the Scarlet and the Black
You will hit 'em, you will wreck 'em
You will kick their f8*%ing @*#!
And the victory bells will ring out.

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
For it's Texas that we love best.
Give 'em hell, give 'em hell, make 'em eat s***
And it's good-bye to all the rest!

...Happens everywhere.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3

We'll praise her name

Boost her to fame

Fight for the Scarlet and the Black

You will hit 'em, you will wreck 'em

You will kick their f8*%ing @*#!

And the victory bells will ring out.

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,

For it's Texas that we love best.

Give 'em hell, give 'em hell, make 'em eat s***

And it's good-bye to all the rest!

...Happens everywhere.

But we're too classy for things the major schools do. We're UNT. Classy.

Classy. Also known as "small-time mentality".

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, give up on taking the high road because someone else does it. We'll prove we're better and smarter than them by doing the same thing they do.

Also known as lemming behavior.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Also, you do realize that the added lyrics intimate that the entirety of the Mean Green fan-base has an Oedipal complex, right?

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

As noted about other schools' fight songs having "questionable" changes coming from the students, and the fact that even for special occasions, students were asked to only be in the alumni section briefly before leaving, this is an extremely valid point. As students, we (at least some of us) were crazed, excited, and rowdy, which is why the visitors' section right next to the student section is often so quiet. The relaxed setting across the field allows for only vague whiffs of the noise from the student section. If you're going to keep everyone separate, fine...but stop expecting rowdy college students to act like the stadium is a retirement home. No, we needn't be lemmings and do it just because every other program does, but if students are finally getting excited and spirited and *gasp* might still be less mature than the average 40-60-year-old alum, then so be it. Our trips home with the kids will probably lead us to the same spot I got used to - the end zone, where we can dance and yell and roam without bumping into anyone or having somebody step on the babies (until Darian becomes a linebacker and knocks out opponents as fast as he beats up his 2 big brothers).

*Insert obligatory childish remark from Emmitt because he can never come up with an intellegent response, which I blame on inbreeding

Genetic diversity, which has been shown to result in greater intellect and attractiveness, is the exact opposite of inbreeding. But good try.

Also, you do realize that the added lyrics intimate that the entirety of the Mean Green fan-base has an Oedipal complex, right?

I don't believe anyone referred to their own mother specifically. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy the company of quite a few mothers, even though I don't like my own. They were a bunch of wildcats...but I also don't favor substituting that for "mothf'n Eagles," because that would make it even more confusing.

• Upvote 1

For the record, I'm a current student and I think adding "Mother F***ing" to our Fight Song is absolutely stupid.

It doesn't make us look "edgy" or "sharp" or "current."

1 -- It makes us copy-cats -- as some of the very proponents of it have admitted.

2 -- It makes us look extremely immature. It's like the kid that drops the F-bomb in front of his parents at the dinner table to see if he can "get away with it." The "parents" (administration) have spoken and said it's not okay. But administration and authority be damned. "We can't be told what to do, we're being creative!" *by copying someone else* Get over it and move on.

3 -- Just because you are okay with shouting the F-bomb in front of kids, doesn't make it okay. But come on -- nobody is stifling anyone's creativity by asking us to avoid obscenities in the stands.

Now, I do realize children will hear things, regardless. But there comes a point when people need to look beyond the scope of themselves or their own little "bubble" and realize they need to respect other peoples' boundaries as well. I know my children will eventually hear the F-bomb somewhere and I'll have to talk to them about it but I'd like to delay that conversation as long as possible until a time where they're able to handle it. Plus, I'd prefer my six year old not start singing along with it just because "the cool kids in green started doing it."

-- Franchise

• Upvote 6

For the record, I'm a current student and I think adding "Mother F***ing" to our Fight Song is absolutely stupid.

1 -- It makes us copy-cats -- as some of the very proponents of it have admitted.

2 -- It makes us look extremely immature. It's like the kid that drops the F-bomb in front of his parents at the dinner table to see if he can "get away with it." The "parents" (administration) have spoken and said it's not okay. But administration and authority be damned. "We can't be told what to do, we're being creative!" *by copying someone else* Get over it and move on.

3 -- Just because you are okay with shouting the F-bomb in front of kids, doesn't make it okay. But come on -- nobody is stifling anyone's creativity by asking us to avoid obscenities in the stands.

Now, I do realize children will hear things, regardless. But there comes a point when people need to look beyond the scope of themselves or their own little "bubble" and realize they need to respect other peoples' boundaries as well. I know my children will eventually hear the F-bomb somewhere and I'll have to talk to them about it but I'd like to delay that conversation as long as possible until a time where they're able to handle it. Plus, I'd prefer my six year old not start singing along with it just because "the cool kids in green started doing it."

-- Franchise

There is hope for our future.

• Upvote 2

The origin of the "Who" in the alma mater probably goes back twenty years or more at this point. I know the Talon who started it - and he'd already graduated when I started UNT in 1996. I think it just took a long time to catch on, but it's been around a generation..

And he kept doing it because he thought it was disrespectfully funny despite several asking him to stop.

Bonus question: What school did he love so much and still loves to pretend he's a part of today?

Rick

-- Franchise

Extremely immature. This is cute. Funny you mention bubble, as apparently you want to raise your kids in a bubble.

As far as Who? goes, they taught us it at Orientation. That's here to stay. If the band cuts the UNT part of it this year, the SGA is filing a complaint with the band director and RV (I have heard from VERY reliable sources through the grapevine). If the band wants to change it, they'll have to put it up for a vote. And it won't pass.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 4