Fight song

Eagle96

You know you've seen the boys will be boys posts as it relates to important members of the teams.

No, we haven't.

But what does player misconduct have to do with the bastardization of the fight song? Or is this your way to again show outrage at the assault committed by Stock?

For, what, the 1,000,000th time?

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't shout it when the time comes but I'm not offended when I hear it. What I think is silly is altering one if your sxhool's traditions because perceived immaturity of college students. If you're going to wait around for kids to quit being immature you may as well cancel the fight song all together. I also find it silly that Some of the same people are willing to look the other way when a player beats up a kid on Fry or gets busted shoplifting... But are abhorred by general population cursing in the stands.

And there we have it. One of the main differences between a North Texas fan and just about any fan of a legitimate D-1 program in Texas.....or the nation for that matter. It used to be that the best way to annoy and/or piss-off your opponent is to mess with their traditions...including altering their fight song (Tx Tech fans used to have a version of the Texas fight song called "Texas Bite").

But not us. We save our opponents some time, and creative brain power, by messing with our own fight song.

And having made this last statement, I suddenly have the image in my mind from "A Christmas Story", where one of Ralphie's friends goes over to Scott Farkus (at ol'yellow eyes' command) with his arm behind his back to make the daily routine of arm-twisting-and-saying-"Uncle" , that much easier for him.

• Upvote 2

No, we haven't.

But what does player misconduct have to do with the bastardization of the fight song? Or is this your way to again show outrage at the assault committed by Stock?

For, what, the 1,000,000th time?

Don't believe it was a reference to that incident. I think it was refering to the Theft allegations at Golden Triangle Mall by two important players.

My response wasn't aimed at you, unless, of course, you think that the added language is "f'n awesome" like so many immature students seem to think. And yes, many on this board have earned the right to be respected through their many contributions to this university. Maybe you will earn that respect some day, too. But you haven't yet. Thinking that bad language makes a traditional song better is a huge sign of immaturity. The students who chose to use that language in the fight song will look back in 10 years at what they caused and be ashamed. That is if they look back at all. My guess is that the idiots that use this language will be the grads that get their paper and never look back. Probably will be huge UT fans in 10 years.
Why are all y'all complaining like y'all were never in college or have never heard or said a bad word in your life? That little added words has been said for years in the student section of sporting events that have the band at attendance. At least those so called immature college students come out and support their school and don't just sit behind a desk posting on web pages about the people supporting their teams. If a parent does not want to hear cuss words they should not take their kids to one of the most violent sports known to this world. It is funny bc this past year a so called alumni came to the ULL game. That so called alumni left in the first Quarter and emailed Mac and said he should be fired bc he sucks at coaching and he was the wrong person for the job. If I recall correctly UNT won that game didn't they???? Y'all call yourselfs alumni but never do anything than send some money to the university but never actually support their programs. We have to many tea and wine sippers. Just saying things need to change.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There really seems to be some polarizing going on with this topic (once again).

Look, I'm willing to bet that some of the folks that are against the 'addition' to the fight song also get really pissed off and say things aloud that would warrant censorship. I don't think anyone is saying, "Stop cursing altogether!" That's just not going to happen.

At the same time, the "at least they are coming to the games" justification is just plain wrong, as there are lots of students that come to the games who are also appalled at the 'addition'.

I think I can speak for most old farts (oh my, I'm only in my lower 30's) on here when I say I couldn't care less if you curse at the game, have an organized chant with some cursing, or even if you insert "m-f'n" into one of the band's songs...

... just don't do it to the fight song or the alma mater. Is that too much to ask? These songs are sacred to our university, and to have that particular insertion so whimsically added just shows a lack of respect for the tradition of the song or what it stands for.

Why can't you guys sing "Fly like a m-f'n eagle, to the m-f'n sea..." Honestly, you would probably have alot more chances to sing that than the fight song anyway as this is a GB favorite and is played just as often, if not more often, than the fight song.

• Upvote 4

This tradition of saying "mother f'n" eagles has been going on for three years. Even as a student, i feel like there are better ways to sing the song and i'd hope that we could be perceived by other schools as scholars and not classless.

I propose this,

The UNT Green Brigade play the song as normal, if the student section sings the alternate version.. the band director stops the song immediately and has the band chant for the students to sing the song right... The Green Brigade has the utmost respect from the students. Repeat use until the students get the idea.

The reason why i propose this is because there have been times that the UNT Band has harassed students who leave the pit early when the UNT basketball team was losing. It worked.

This tradition of saying "mother f'n" eagles has been going on for three years. Even as a student, i feel like there are better ways to sing the song and i'd hope that we could be perceived by other schools as scholars and not classless.

I propose this,

The UNT Green Brigade play the song as normal, if the student section sings the alternate version.. the band director stops the song immediately and has the band chant for the students to sing the song right... The Green Brigade has the utmost respect from the students. Repeat use until the students get the idea.

The reason why i propose this is because there have been times that the UNT Band has harassed students who leave the pit early when the UNT basketball team was losing. It worked.

Although I'm usually against infighting, especially concerning an organization as high-profile as the GB, this is actually not a horrible idea. I'd actually like to see this... if it worked.

Why are all y'all complaining like y'all were never in college or have never heard or said a bad word in your life? That little added words has been said for years in the student section of sporting events that have the band at attendance. At least those so called immature college students come out and support their school and don't just sit behind a desk posting on web pages about the people supporting their teams. If a parent does not want to hear cuss words they should not take their kids to one of the most violent sports known to this world. It is funny bc this past year a so called alumni came to the ULL game. That so called alumni left in the first Quarter and emailed Mac and said he should be fired bc he sucks at coaching and he was the wrong person for the job. If I recall correctly UNT won that game didn't they???? Y'all call yourselfs alumni but never do anything than send some money to the university but never actually support their programs. We have to many tea and wine sippers. Just saying things need to change.

Ya, and saying MF is the way too bring about that change.

Jeez

• Upvote 1

Wow. I grew up going to games, went as a student and now drive over 300 miles one way to attend home games. Calling out all alumni over the actions of one is pretty ridiculous, don't you think? It is also a little different from the student body inserting a derogatory term into the school's fight song because they think it is cool.

• Upvote 1

There really seems to be some polarizing going on with this topic (once again).

Look, I'm willing to bet that some of the folks that are against the 'addition' to the fight song also get really pissed off and say things aloud that would warrant censorship. I don't think anyone is saying, "Stop cursing altogether!" That's just not going to happen.

At the same time, the "at least they are coming to the games" justification is just plain wrong, as there are lots of students that come to the games who are also appalled at the 'addition'.

I think I can speak for most old farts (oh my, I'm only in my lower 30's) on here when I say I couldn't care less if you curse at the game, have an organized chant with some cursing, or even if you insert "m-f'n" into one of the band's songs...

... just don't do it to the fight song or the alma mater. Is that too much to ask? These songs are sacred to our university, and to have that particular insertion so whimsically added just shows a lack of respect for the tradition of the song or what it stands for.

Why can't you guys sing "Fly like a m-f'n eagle, to the m-f'n sea..." Honestly, you would probably have alot more chances to sing that than the fight song anyway as this is a GB favorite and is played just as often, if not more often, than the fight song.

I don't remember my friends and I saying, "HEY, let's go to the football game. We can cuss there.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't shout it when the time comes but I'm not offended when I hear it. What I think is silly is altering one of your school's traditions because of perceived immaturity of college students. If you're going to wait around for kids to quit being immature you may as well cancel the fight song all together. I also find it silly that Some of the same people are willing to look the other way when a player beats up a kid on Fry or gets busted shoplifting... But are abhorred by general population cursing in the stands.

And another winner winner chicken dinner!

Will... I appreciate that you have the ability to boot the ball like you do.. I really do. However some of these guys have not missed a home game in like 20 years. They were attending UNT games when you were on the tit and I don't think their loyalty to the school and program can be summarized by "Y'all call yourselfs alumni but never do anything than send some money to the university but never actually support their programs."

They have been watching UNT lose for 8 years... ya know... since you before you were a freshman in high school.

I agree that some need to lighten up but don't make blanket statements about the amount of support that this site, these guys and Mean Green fans put into the program. It was these same guys that went to Denton and posted the schedules all over the windows of every shop that would allow it. Guys who have full time jobs and families but took a day on their weekend to go do it because they knew the AD wouldn't be able to.

Mind your P's and Q's.

Will... I appreciate that you have the ability to boot the ball like you do.. I really do. However some of these guys have not missed a home game in like 20 years. They were attending UNT games when you were on the tit and I don't think their loyalty to the school and program can be summarized by "Y'all call yourselfs alumni but never do anything than send some money to the university but never actually support their programs." They have been watching UNT lose for 8 years... ya know... since you before you were a freshman in high school. I agree that some need to lighten up but don't make blanket statements about the amount of support that this site, these guys and Mean Green fans put into the program. It was these same guys that went to Denton and posted the schedules all over the windows of every shop that would allow it. Guys who have full time jobs and families but took a day on their weekend to go do it because they knew the AD wouldn't be able to. Mind your P's and Q's.
I purposely put that story of the guy from ULL game to point out the type of alumni I was talking about. Those are the alum that i was calling out.

No, we haven't. But what does player misconduct have to do with the bastardization of the fight song? Or is this your way to again show outrage at the assault committed by Stock? For, what, the 1,000,000th time?
Agreed, stock is gone and He was found not guilty. What happens to people when you vandalize someone's car, in this case the person vandalizing got beat up.
  • Upvote 1

I purposely put that story of the guy from ULL game to point out the type of alumni I was talking about. Those are the alum that i was calling out.

And those alumni aren't on this message board. The dedicated, been there through rain and shine, type are...and we think it's ridiculously immature to curse during your school's fight song. Clear enough?

• Upvote 5

And those alumni aren't on this message board. The dedicated, been there through rain and shine, type are...and we think it's ridiculously immature to curse during your school's fight song. Clear enough?

That is where you are wrong I have seen it here and all mean green blogs. Not saying all you here are. Y'all took my post as that all alumni are like that. Never said all were. I gave an example of those that I was talking about. And the fight song is not the only song that has been changed by the students, that alma mater has too.my heart goes out to all of you that did come and support the team. That means a lot.

• Upvote 1

That is where you are wrong I have seen it here and all mean green blogs. Not saying all you here are. Y'all took my post as that all alumni are like that. Never said all were. I gave an example of those that I was talking about. And the fight song is not the only song that has been changed by the students, that alma mater has too.my heart goes out to all of you that did come and support the team. That means a lot.

Maybe we should change the words of the National Anthem to the MF'ing Star Spangled Banner. Now that would be a cool tradition.

Meangreener, I believe you stated your Dad thought it was funny to add MF to the fight song. Tells me all I need to know.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Maybe we should change the words of the National Anthem to the MF'ing Star Spangled Banner. Now that would be a cool tradition.

Meangreener, I believe you stated your Dad thought it was funny to add MF to the fight song. Tells me all I need to know.

The Star Spangled Banner for MeanGreener and his Mutha F'n Dad.

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the Mutha F'n perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our Mutha F'n flag was still there;

O say does that Mutha F'n star-spangled banner yet wave,

O'er the land of the free and the Mutha F'n home of the brave?

I find the above lyrics offensive and disrespectful to OUR Country. Just like adding Mutha F'n before Eagles is offensive and disrespectful to OUR University.

Iwannapuntsomemore might be correct, We might have too many tea and wine sippers, but they are not on this board. I know that I care about OUR University and I have been away from Denton for close to 15 years.

• Upvote 4

Quite different, adding mf'er to the fight song and our national anthem. That would be more akin to adding it to the alma mater. It's a "FIGHT SONG".

Look, y'all need to face it, it's coming back, and UNT is going to have to officially change the fight song if they don't like it. Which is typical UNT, taking away something that the entire fan base can be a part of. Once again, I don't do it, but as always, the helicopter mothers and fathers who shield their children from the world from their bubble homes in Keller know best, right? Watching 300 pound linemen crash into QBs, giving them concussions, broken bones, possibly even paralyzing them is OK but a curse word is not. When the pregame music is on, do you keep your kids out of the stadium? I mean, all that rap and hip hop has lyrics degrading to women, talking about violence, sex, crime, etc. You probably are OK when they wear 'swag', do drugs and bully kids, right? Well, they do this because they grow up in a bubble. 10 days inside Keller HS and you'd understand why growing your kids in a bubble, shielded from the world is a joke. What a mf'ing joke. But did you read that earlier, ONE MORE TIME FOR POSTERITY, I DON'T SAY MF'ER IN THE FIGHT SONG. One more time? I DON'T DO IT. I don't support it, but college kids WILL BE COLLEGE KIDS. My Dad thought it was amusing because he taught me morals and ethics so we can laugh at a college environment in which COLLEGE KIDS WILL BE MF'IN COLLEGE KIDS. I mean, good lord I'm in New York right now and everywhere you go someone's dropping an F-bomb in public, maybe even screaming it. But yet, the kids here turn out alright, don't they?

Flat out disgusting. Every time things like this come up, I always have to ask myself why I came back to D/FW. The mentality in D/FW is just laughable. I hoped I was far enough away in Denton, but oh, was I wrong. This is why D/FW is known as the plastic capital of the world.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

Man, you sure are good at jumping to conclusions and making generalizations.

Pot calling kettle black?

You just jumped to conclusions on my upbringing based off of us thinking that 'MF'in' Eagles is mildly amusing.

So I jumped to conclusions that you are a copter parent based on your intense offense at someone saying 'MF'in' during a fight song at a college football game.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Quite different, adding mf'er to the fight song and our national anthem. That would be more akin to adding it to the alma mater. It's a "FIGHT SONG".

Look, y'all need to face it, it's coming back, and UNT is going to have to officially change the fight song if they don't like it. Which is typical UNT, taking away something that the entire fan base can be a part of. Once again, I don't do it, but as always, the helicopter mothers and fathers who shield their children from the world from their bubble homes in Keller know best, right? Watching 300 pound linemen crash into QBs, giving them concussions, broken bones, possibly even paralyzing them is OK but a curse word is not. When the pregame music is on, do you keep your kids out of the stadium? I mean, all that rap and hip hop has lyrics degrading to women, talking about violence, sex, crime, etc. You probably are OK when they wear 'swag', do drugs and bully kids, right? Well, they do this because they grow up in a bubble. 10 days inside Keller HS and you'd understand why growing your kids in a bubble, shielded from the world is a joke. What a mf'ing joke. But did you read that earlier, ONE MORE TIME FOR POSTERITY, I DON'T SAY MF'ER IN THE FIGHT SONG. One more time? I DON'T DO IT. I don't support it, but college kids WILL BE COLLEGE KIDS. My Dad thought it was amusing because he taught me morals and ethics so we can laugh at a college environment in which COLLEGE KIDS WILL BE MF'IN COLLEGE KIDS. I mean, good lord I'm in New York right now and everywhere you go someone's dropping an F-bomb in public, maybe even screaming it. But yet, the kids here turn out alright, don't they?

Flat out disgusting. Every time things like this come up, I always have to ask myself why I came back to D/FW. The mentality in D/FW is just laughable. I hoped I was far enough away in Denton, but oh, was I wrong. This is why D/FW is known as the plastic capital of the world.

Youth beating it's chest and thinking with it's weiner never gets old.

If you love Yankeeville so much...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Youth beating its chest and thinking with its weiner never gets old.

If you love Yankeeville so much...

More assumptions and BS.

:goodjob:

And before anyone here goes gravedigging, yes, we both said 'MF'er' Eagles at a game. I decided to stop using it as I think it's a trashy word, but point still remains.

Oh, and FIFY.

You know, if y'all disrespect and dislike student behavior so much, why don't you just go hardcore root for another terrible football team mainly with adult supporters at the games, like the Cowboys? See, unlike UNT (a University in which is populated by mainly youth students who go to UNT to learn, the football team being made up of youth students) the Cowboys fill their stadium with yuppie Kellerites with too much money who yell at people who stand up and cheer at the games. I'm not criticizing all the money and help you have given the athletic department. I'm simply criticizing the fact that you dislike student behavior at a football game at a major university.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3