Uncommitted QB's from Texas

UNTLifer

There are a couple on here I would like us to go after including Mayfield from Lake Travis, McCarley from Manvel, Bowen from Amarillo and Ford from Hewitt Midway. Anybody have any solid information on any of these young men, such as, seen them play, stats, etc...?

http://rivals.yahoo....-search-results

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Can't comment on all but the Bowen kid from Amarillo is the real deal, newspaper says 19-1 as starting Varsity QB with lone loss coming only last week in OT v. Amarillo High on an INT deflected by his receiver. He plays in a run heavy run first offense so his passing stats don't seem to show his true ability, threw for 150+ yards in the game I watched v. Amarillo and only passed when forced by down and distance. Amarillo Globe News publishes regional stats each week and the kid is the second leading rusher and maybe top 5 in passing with limited attempts. I have seen a couple of his games so from a Panhandle area high school football fan observation, he is definitely one of the better QB's from this region in a while and seems to be flying under the radar when one looks at QB's garnering recruiting attention. I did a google search and came across his Huld link and an interesting atricle on the burnt orange nation website. Links follow with description of 6'4" 200 #. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/765811/#highlights/8537385 http://www.burntorangenation.com/2012/8/29/3270650/unheralded-2013-player-of-the-week-collin-bowen

I've heard on numerous occasions, including a TV interview with Amarillo High Coach Maxfield, a likeness to a quicker version of K-State's Collin Klein.

UNT already has a 2013 QB verbal but I wonder if Mac is looking for more.

• Upvote 1

I thought Coach Mac doesn't want 5 QBs on scholarship(?) If that's the case, you can forget about us signing another QB; whether he be HS, Juco, or transfer.

Always have to keep your options open Incase Williams bolts. I think he's a solid verbal right now , but just remember how we got picked apart last recruiting season towards signing day

• Upvote 1

Just watched McCarley's (Manvel) highlights on Fox Sports SW High School show. He threw for over 450 yards and like 5 TD's. They said he has thrown for over over 3,200 yards this year. We need to get on him immediately as well as his stud WR.

• Upvote 1

There are NO sure things when it comes to our QB position. We THINK Berglund will win the job and be effective. We HOPE Thompson improves in the off-season. If there's a solid QB prospect go get him.

The reason. for this thread.

You guys are really counting chickens before the eggs hatch with this QB talk. Nothing is sure when you are talking about "new QB's being effective" when they have never played a down of big time FB .

are you refering to the new qb on campus or the ones linked in the article? Recruiting can be a crap shoot, so i dont think anyone is saying these are beat guys, but that they are uncommitted from texas and we need qb help. Hopefully our coaches can recruit and develop someone! (Hoping he is already on campus...)

Edited by Greenhorn

1. Berglund

2. Thompson

3. Williams

4. McNulty (should change positions)

5. Gill (a walk-on)

The top two are sure things, Williams should redshirt if he sticks, McNulty and a walk-on. We need another QB.

I would not be surprised to see McNulty shifted to safety or slot receiver in Spring practice. He is not big enough to play QB at this level, and doesn't have the arm, either.

I think he can provide depth at either safety or in the slot.

And we absolutely need to sign at least 2 QBs that the coaches think have a legit shot to play the QB position in college. .

Edited by UNT90

I would not be surprised to see McNulty shifted to safety or slot receiver in Spring practice. He is not bog enough to play QB at this level, and doesn't have the arm, either.

I think he can provide depth at either safety or in the slot.

And we absilutely need to sign at least 2 QBs that the coaches think have a legit shot to play.

My thoughts and the reason I started this thread. I would go after the young men from Amarillo/Canyon and Manvel.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a google search and came across his Huld link and an interesting atricle on the burnt orange nation website. Links follow with description of 6'4" 200 #. http://www.hudl.com/...hlights/8537385 http://www.burntoran...ek-collin-bowen

I've heard on numerous occasions, including a TV interview with Amarillo High Coach Maxfield, a likeness to a quicker version of K-State's Collin Klein.

Video in the burntorange article. Holy cow that spin juke move at around 2:00.

Just watched McCarley's (Manvel) highlights on Fox Sports SW High School show. He threw for over 450 yards and like 5 TD's. They said he has thrown for over over 3,200 yards this year. We need to get on him immediately as well as his stud WR.

I always wonder if recruiters ever try to solidly pick up dynamic QB/WR combos.

ww.burntorangenation.com/2012/8/29/3270650/unheralded-2013-player-of-the-week-collin-bowen

As you will see under the recruiting outlook we have made contact with Bowen. He has had a broken collarbone and that seems to be the reason that no one is on him hard at this time. Could also be why no services have rated him. His dad says that he has only had the one injury and is not injury-prone.

I also noted that he has reduced his forty time from 4.55 (about what Berglund runs) to 4.46 which is exceptionally speedy for a quarterback.

Because of Berglund, he may look elsewhere. Brock was rated anywhere from #15 (Rivals) to #28 (Steele) as a quarterback nationally in 2011. I hope that doesn't scare Bowen off because he would be an excellent get. Even if Berglund is as advertised Bowen would have two years as a starter after serving a redshirt year.