The way I see it.

trussbussdad

Love you being here truss. I do agree with some of what you said, and yes many of us played on Fri & Sat nights.

Just remember, most of these guys on this board give their hearts & souls for this program. Most of these guys are huge contributors financially. Emotions run high.

Take the complaints with a grain of salt. The place cools down a couple of days after a loss. Like most message boards, the sky is falling after a loss. In the end, we all just want NT to improve and eventually win...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

For all the sons & fathers and fans of UNT athletes we have, going on 8 years, not gone to a bowl or had a winning record in football ( that's real noticible in Texas by the way), here is the question for you: if our athletic administration was effective what else could they have done to help the football coaches be effective in our mid-major league in the future? Things to help them recruit, more money, better crowds etc. If you have any thoughts do you think coach rv can do these things? Explain please.

GMG

Edited by Mo Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dickey won four titles.

Then he "stopped recruiting"

So Dodge inherited a "bare cupboard"

He got four years out of "bare cupboard", "young team" and "things are turnring around"

Last year Mac inherited a "bare cupboard"

This year we have a "young team" that is "turning it around"

Next year we'll have....

• Upvote 6

Dickey won four titles.

Then he "stopped recruiting"

So Dodge inherited a "bare cupboard"

He got four years out of "bare cupboard", "young team" and "things are turnring around"

Last year Mac inherited a "bare cupboard"

This year we have a "young team" that is "turning it around"

Next year we'll have....

Solid depth at the skill positions on offense, a quarterback battle, and more young talented depth on D. Many talented players are redshirting.

• Upvote 4

Solid depth at the skill positions on offense, a quarterback battle, and more young talented depth on D. Many talented players are redshirting.

I've seen this whole "many talented players are redshirting" thing on here a lot. If they were actually talented, they'd be on the field. Unless you're referring to the transfers, in which case I think that's hilarious because people constantly use the whole "Dodge screwed us by recruiting JUCO guys" excuse all the time, and that's essentially what these transfers are.

• Upvote 3

2-9, 3-9, 2-10, 1-11, 2-10, 3-9, 5-7, 3-5(probably 4-8) is what has surfaced the last 8 years.

I mean no disrespect to you, Connor's class could very well be the one that turns things around, but most of us have sat through enough losses and just can't do it any longer. I'm tired of writing off seasons halfway through and rationalizing it by the fact that we have freshman and sophomores out there who will be all conference by the time their seniors, or so everyone says. Only problem is we've watched this same cycle since 2005 with players who don't pan out and I don't even know what to say at this point.

• Upvote 2

I've seen this whole "many talented players are redshirting" thing on here a lot. If they were actually talented, they'd be on the field. Unless you're referring to the transfers, in which8 case I think that's hilarious because people constantly use the whole "Dodge screwed us by recruiting JUCO guys" excuse all the time, and that's essentially what these transfers are.

Two freshman wide receivers are hurt redshirting, as well as a couple of dlinemen. I don't think your doom and gloom theory holds true. See what you want though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't really think there is any way around it, they (players AND coaches) sucked it up today and got their butts handed to them. They should be embarrassed and I am sure they are. Unfortunately, it happens occasionally.

However, I do feel things overall have improved and are still improving. I would prefer to be able to point at W's to show that improvement. In their absense, it will have to rely more on more subjective measures. I am still a believer, and don't see that changing this year or next, unless we start stacking together performances like today.

• Upvote 1

The way I see it...

Scenario. On the road. No Delgado, Brelan out on first series with season ending injury. He has accounted for over 50% of this seasons TD's. You quickly go down 17-0, we give up a handful of BIG plays. Game plan completely changes from the 3 headed RB Monster gameplan to need to throw it to catch up without your #1 and #2 WRs out.

Finish 200+ yrds total rushing and 432 total yrds vs. their 488. Take away 3-4 plays on defense their yards drop big time as well as the points.

We are close, so close. I know close only counts in horshoes. Its honeslty dissapointing to see so much negativity from the supporters of UNT from week to week. This program has come a long way in 24 months, and the progress is being made.

We Lost on the road 38-21, A loss is a loss. And it hurts for everyone, and especially to those that prepare all week to win.

Mean Green Nation needs to regroup and Protect Apogee next week and beat Arky State.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Face facts. It doesn't matter what Dickey left or what Dodge did or how many years they had to do it.

McCarney inherited a team that had not seen a winning record in years. He was also saddled with fewer scholarships than other schools and a team that had been heavily built on juco recruits. He could have continued the cycle by recruiting a bunch of juco players and possibly put together a winning season by sacrificing the future. I read on here somewhere that he is the run version of Dodge. He's exactly the opposite.

Look, he has had only one and a half recruiting classes under his belt if you consider how many players he's redshirting.

He's working his way through the scholarship mess he inherited. He has gotten his players grades to where they should be.

Laying the proper foundation takes time. Don't expect consistency from young players. Don't judge this by 1 or 2 games.

Have a little faith.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

UNT Texas..not slamming anyone here...just trying to rally the forces, both on and off the field. Will politely agree to disagree with the adjectives. In my opinion, those adjectives are best served being dealt out in the film room today. Old players and coaches are full of "isms"... regrettably I cant tag any of them as my own, but one i especially like goes like this...."In the game of football everyone has a job...coaches coach, players play and fans cheer; when one segment tries to do anything than their assigned job, you have chaos".

Since becoming associated with UNT, I have become a huge homer. Where I played just does not have the school or team spirit that I ever felt to get involved with, so UNT has been a good outlet for me.

GMG

• Upvote 2

ntmeangreen11..i hope the turnaround class is in the locker room now too...with assistance coming in this next class as well. It is going to take strong leadership for the rest of this season, into off season and spring, into summer conditioning. I remember a statement from Dodge at a recruiting camp that I think haunted those dark days..he said that due to the talent in Texas and DFW, their (UNT) recruiting did not start till after the season. I dont know how much he practiced what he preached, but I am sure that he was one of the few if not the only d1 program that had that attitude towards recruiting.

• Upvote 1

UNT Texas..not slamming anyone here...just trying to rally the forces, both on and off the field. Will politely agree to disagree with the adjectives. In my opinion, those adjectives are best served being dealt out in the film room today. Old players and coaches are full of "isms"... regrettably I cant tag any of them as my own, but one i especially like goes like this...."In the game of football everyone has a job...coaches coach, players play and fans cheer; when one segment tries to do anything than their assigned job, you have chaos".

Since becoming associated with UNT, I have become a huge homer. Where I played just does not have the school or team spirit that I ever felt to get involved with, so UNT has been a good outlet for me.

GMG

Ohmygod! You played football at a college that has worse spirit/camaraderie than North Texas? Well, all I can say to you is.... bless your heart.

One of the things that you, and all the other recent participants (at all levels) in this football program need to understand is that North Texas will never really take it to the next level without consistent and noticeable improvements in it's football program. And that includes a significant change in our (people who know what's coming next please indulge me)..... culture. And that's not going to happen when we go out and hire coaches who have a great reputation for winning (Dodge) and/or being part of a winning program (McCarney/Canales), and then produce the same bi-polar program that we've had for years/decades.

At the Troy game Emmitt made a comment that was both funny and sad. He said "I need to check myself into a women's shelter, because I keep going back to the same abusive relationship, year after year".

As a very long time fan of North Texas, I have to say that I have been sick of hearing the same stuff year after year.

"well, the new coach didn't have much to work with"

"well, what do you expect, when we don't put out the money for a real coach"

"you can't turn something like this around in just a year"

"how can our coaches recruit when we have such crappy facilities"

and the one that gets me the most......

"well, what do you expect, it's just North Texas"

Like I posted on another thread.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I played for UNT for four seasons as a starter and Letterman. Today this team was heartless. After that much time off, they laid down from the word go. Classless? Yes. Personal fouls out of frustration for poor play. Damn embarrassing for an away game or any game for that matter.

Today I was ashamed of this team from the word go from the players to the staff. I expect more than they did on all fronts. Damn right I will give criticism to a team that lays down.

Arm chair QB my ass. I still have pain in my body from this team that I love and will bitch about the pathetic status any time I please.

• Upvote 1