Sadler vs. Cruz - where does GMG stand on this one?

First, I think Kay Bailer Hutchison is/was an amazing Senator. She really exemplified the pre-2000s style of politician in being able to debate and come to compromise, not stall and indignantly hold up Congress.

And thus, I'm morbidly horrified of the Republican nominee to fill her place in Ted Cruz. All he ever appears to offer is the place of vitriolic tea partier lap dog. This then gets me actually pumped to learn more and more of the Democratic challenger, Paul Sadler. He has a brilliant record in our state of being able to do the sort of work that Hutchison did at the Federal level and is much closer to what the political landscape should be: give me centrism over isolationism any day of the week.

And then all of a sudden DMN: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20121018-editorial-we-recommend-paul-sadler-for-u.s.-senate.ece

Coming from them....just woah.

So, what does GoMeanGreen think about this race, one that I believe has a lot more at stake for Texans than the Presidential one does?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

The San Antonio rag is also wasting print space by throwing their support to Sadler. But it doesnt matter as Cruz will cruise in this one.

What I like about him is that Cruz isnt a career politician and has argued for constitutional principals before the supreme court several times and won. As the DMN admits, ...."he's more focused on constitutional principals..", and that's a good thing.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

What I like about him is that Cruz isnt a career politician...

This last year is certainly proving an intent on his behalf towards being one.

Are you really asking, or just trying to push a candidate with no real chance of being elected?

Really asking.

I'm more curious to know if anyone followed Texas politics well enough in the 90s to support or deny some of the stuff I've learned of Sadler.

And I'll reword: give me a moderate centrist Democrat rather than a extreme tea party Republican any day of the week to represent Texas. Historically, Texas has had great success under Democrats who put common sense before ideology.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would like to see Sadler win, sadly he has no chance. Having worked on campaigns for moderate middle of the road democrats, I've seen first hand people immediately turn off and tune out when you say the word democrat, no matter what the guy has accomplished. I just think it's funny that usually the tea party shuns these harvard educated, trial lawyer types, yet they totally love this guy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Really asking.

I'm more curious to know if anyone followed Texas politics well enough in the 90s to support or deny some of the stuff I've learned of Sadler.

And I'll reword: give me a moderate centrist Democrat rather than a extreme tea party Republican any day of the week to represent Texas. Historically, Texas has had great success under Democrats who put common sense before ideology.

I don't understand your extreme party republican label.

He's a conservative and believes in smaller government, wants to repeal nObamaCare and has successfully defended the constitution several times.

He was raised by Cuban immigrants, whose father at one time was jailed by Castro and beaten for taking a stance against that regime. He's surely aware of first hand family accounts of tyranny and what it's like to live under such rule, and seems to have a conviction to fight against letting that ever happen here. You say you like Kay Bailey, but she was a much more corporate big money funded candidate than Cruz has ever been, although I'm sure he will eventually get to that point some day? That simply comes with success. He reminds me a lot of Rubio.

By the way, if your curious about Sadler's chances, the turn out for the primary may be a good indicator as to whose base is more fired up in Texas this election season.

Sadler and his opponent Grady Yarbrough combined for 234,000 votes with Sadler getting 148,000 votes.

Cruz and Dewhurst drew in a combined 1.1 Million, with Cruz getting 631,000.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Historically, Texas has had great success under Democrats who put common sense before ideology.

Historically any democracy has success when they elect people with common sense and pragmatism, but alas those don't exist in the Republican Party anymore, only demagogues. But in Texas, Sadler has no chance. Bill White was about the most centrist, proven Democrat in the state, and he got flogged by governor goodhair.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

He's a conservative and believes in smaller government, wants to repeal nObamaCare and has successfully defended the constitution several times.

Smaller government as in the elimination of the Departments of Education, Commerce and Energy, TSA and IRS?? I'm way in favor of reducing redundancies and bureaucracies that go nowhere but outright elimination?? That's pretty extreme to me.

• Upvote 2

Historically any democracy has success when they elect people with common sense and pragmatism, but alas those don't exist in the Republican Party anymore, only demagogues. But in Texas, Sadler has no chance. Bill White was about the most centrist, proven Democrat in the state, and he got flogged by governor goodhair.

You are really eaten up with the lib crap-ola. Your partisanship is clearly on display...that's OK, but don't try to act like you know anything at all about which you are speaking. Eat all the lib crap-ola you want. Want some names of those great pragmatists on the dem side? Get real.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Sadler said in the debate that he supports raising taxes on everyone as a "shared sacrifice."

He's probably right that we all need to sacrifice, but you just don't say that during a campaign.

His grave was already dug. With that comment, he lays down and pulls in the dirt.

It's bad to be honest with voters?

That would be a good start.

Rick

Indeed! Good start, but only a "good" start!

Yikes.

• Upvote 3

He was raised by Cuban immigrants, whose father at one time was jailed by Castro and beaten for taking a stance against that regime. He's surely aware of first hand family accounts of tyranny and what it's like to live under such rule, and seems to have a conviction to fight against letting that ever happen here. You say you like Kay Bailey, but she was a much more corporate big money funded candidate than Cruz has ever been, although I'm sure he will eventually get to that point some day? That simply comes with success. He reminds me a lot of Rubio.

By the way, if your curious about Sadler's chances, the turn out for the primary may be a good indicator as to whose base is more fired up in Texas this election season.

Sadler and his opponent Grady Yarbrough combined for 234,000 votes with Sadler getting 148,000 votes.

Cruz and Dewhurst drew in a combined 1.1 Million, with Cruz getting 631,000.

Rick

Just look at 3rd quarter fund raising numbers as the best indicator to see what the results will be. Sadler raised $350k to Cruz who raised $3.5 million. Sadler's debate performances have been just embarrassing for him and eliminating certain departments from our government is a great place to start. Airlines can manage their own security and there is no reason to have the TSA in place which does nothing except waste our money and still let’s people slip through who shouldn't slip through. Take SFO for example, they have a private company manage their airport security. It is very efficient, much better success rate of not letting the wrong people through, cheaper, and much shorter wait time for passengers because of efficiency. The same could be said about the Department of Education, education needs to be managed at the local level.

Edited by Mean Green Scrappy

Your right, just because republicans don't agree with your point of view, they are demagogues. :rolleyes: Funny you don't lump democrats who refuse to deal with republicans in the same boat, right?

Sadler has zero chance, thank god.

• Downvote 1

Really asking.

What do you consider extreme about Cruz? And please, give a more thoughtful answer than "well, he is tea party, and I've heard bad things about those people."

Really asking

UNT 90, Do you really think the Tea Party can be considered anything except 'extreme'? Most politicians who appeal to the Tea Party self-identify as ultra-conservative. That's okay. That's what their constituency wants. But please don't try to describe Mr. Cruz as a moderate.

UNT 90, Do you really think the Tea Party can be considered anything except 'extreme'? Most politicians who appeal to the Tea Party self-identify as ultra-conservative. That's okay. That's what their constituency wants. But please don't try to describe Mr. Cruz as a moderate.

See, this is EXACTLY what I am talking about. You just say the tea party is extreme, then link Cruz to the tea party, and say "well, he must be extreme."

Think for yourself. Look at his policies, not his label.

The "tea party" is a one issue movement. That issue is to balance the budget and pay down the debt. Do members of the tea party have views on other issues? Yes. Are these views sponsored or supported by the tea party? No.

Since when did paying your bills and eliminating your debt become ultra conservative?

You have let the media define the tea party for you.

Interestingly enough, the Dallas Morning news endored Sadler in this race. The guy has no real chance of winning, but part of the reason given by the DMN was Sadler's experience in the TX House, and his willingness to "compromise". Hmmmmmm.....

Cruz wins this one going away...well, maybe not "going away" but with a more than comfortable margin.

Early voting in Texas starts today...so VOTE EARLY...VOTE OFTEN...there's no voter ID law in Texas so......... Just kiddin' with ya about the voter ID thing....use that utility bill for an ID, that's fail safe for sure! NOT!

See, this is EXACTLY what I am talking about. You just say the tea party is extreme, then link Cruz to the tea party, and say "well, he must be extreme."

The "tea party" is a one issue movement. That issue is to balance the budget and pay down the debt. Do members of the tea party have views on other issues? Yes. Are these views sponsored or supported by the tea party? No.

Since when did paying your bills and eliminating your debt become ultra conservative?

You are wrong in your description of the Tea Party. They want to balance a budget with only cuts in programming and no increased revenue, and that is a ridiculous theory to have. A true "balanced" budget will have both cuts in programming and increased revenue. The Tea Party has brought the democratic process to a scretching halt not only at the federal and state levels, but also at the local levels in places where these geniuses have been elected.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the advice, UNT90. Actually, I do try to think for myself. I also try to gather my own information. I've talked to lots of folk who consider themselves Tea Partiers. They are a remarkably homogeneous group. Not only do they favor a balanced budget - everyone I've talked to wants to balance that budget by smaller government - drastically smaller government - increased taxes cannot be part of the discussion.

Every Tea Partier I talked too wants to reduce government regulation - again drastically. Every Tea Partier I've talked to wants to shut down the border. Every Tea Partier I've talked to distrusts the science of climate change. Most favor English as the official language. Most want creationism taught in public schools. Most want public display of religious (read Christian) symbols. Most want to drill baby drill everywhere.

So no - the Tea Party isn't just a group of well-meaning old folks who only share an understandable desire to reduce the deficit. These are die-hard extreme conservatives. Their reputation isn't a fabrication of the librul media. They really are on the extreme right of the Republican Party. Nothing wrong with that - unless you try to sell them as something they're not - moderate.

• Upvote 5