Frat haters

northtexassigep

I am a Senior at North Texas and me and my "fraternity" brothers have been going to games since our freshman year. Not just home games but we have traveled to Clemson, bama, Lsu, and K state. It is so immature how so many of the alumni on here always want to call frat people out for the weak home crowds. That game tonight was so much fun for me and my friends and when I come on here to see how all of the mean green fans are celebrating you seem more obsessed over the crowd and the frat daddies who stayed out and tailgated. Do I ever come on here and blame the GDIs for not coming? No because it does nothing for our School. And I understand people who didn't rush a fraternity aren't defined by that and it goes the same way with rushing a fraternity. I have seen more greeks at away games than any other students combined so please stop. I get you hate SMU and so do I but you dont have to hate greeks here too.

GMG GMG GMG GMG Thats all that matters

PS

Lets go bowling

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 6

As a greek alum, I would suggest grow some thick skin. The reputation that the greek organizations used to carry with them regarding football attendance is pretty bad. Has it improved? Absolutely. Is it still where it needs to be? No. Because we're not packing the house. Same fight I had when I was at school many, many years ago. Until every single greek, regardless of IFC, PHC, other affiliation is there, I will chastise them, as well as the math society, students for albino squirrels and whatever organizations are out there not supporting the school.

• Upvote 6

Since you brought the Greek subject up, there was a sorority last night, don't remember which one, who wore freaking MAROON shirts. If you're coming to the football game, get some green shirts. Makes them look like they were forced to be there. I wasn't going to bring it up until this thread got started.

Props to the Zeta girls for working their pink theme while still wearing green.

• Upvote 4

Since you brought the Greek subject up, there was a sorority last night, don't remember which one, who wore freaking MAROON shirts. If you're coming to the football game, get some green shirts. Makes them look like they were forced to be there. I wasn't going to bring it up until this thread got started.

I saw them too. My wife asked me why they weren't wearing green. Ugh

• Upvote 1

While the Maroon doesnt necessarily look good in front of a national audience, I think they wore it in support of one of their sisters whose dad, 2 brothers and uncle were killed 2 weeks ago.

• Upvote 3

I saw the maroon girls also. I wondered why they hadn't chosen green as well.

As to the fraternity topic, most independents don't have 8 foot letters telling the world they are independents. When we sit on the press box side of Apogee, and see some Greek letters 8 feet high, and a bunch of boys standing around them, I assume they are in a fraternity.

If one's actions may cause them embarrassment, don't advertise the organization's name. Simple.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

While the Maroon doesnt necessarily look good in front of a national audience, I think they wore it in support of one of their sisters whose dad, 2 brothers and uncle were killed 2 weeks ago.

You are correct, it was for the Ledet family. One of the Ledet girls is student here and member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority. They wore maroon because TAMU was a big part of their life and there has been a large group promoting maroon in honor of the 4 family members lost in the recent plane crash. Although its not green it was for a very cause and I was glad to see so many people sporting the ribbons being handed out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are correct, it was for the Ledet family. One of the Ledet girls is student here and member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority. They wore maroon because TAMU was a big part of their life and there has been a large group promoting maroon in honor of the 4 family members lost in the recent plane crash. Although its not green it was for a very cause and I was glad to see so many people sporting the ribbons being handed out.

Ummmm no disrespect intended to that family but I just can't see how it is logical to have an entire sorority wear the colors of Texas A&M at a UNT FOOTBALL GAME just because TAMU is a big part of the family's life. While I am sympathetic to the family and their horrendous loss..... wearing A&M colors to a UNT game in masse is boneheaded.

Ummmm no disrespect intended to that family but I just can't see how it is logical to have an entire sorority wear the colors of Texas A&M at a UNT FOOTBALL GAME just because TAMU is a big part of the family's life. While I am sympathetic to the family and their horrendous loss..... wearing A&M colors to a UNT game in masse is boneheaded.

Dunno man, I'll be sure to ask those boneheads what the hell they were thinking next time I see them?

• Upvote 3

Not to be rude but there's more to life then just UNT football... One of there sisters lost there dad, uncle and two younger brothers who where 17 and 13 I think... If you can wear pink shirts for breast cancer, you can wear a maroon shirt to support a family and a sister

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to be rude but there's more to life then just UNT football... One of there sisters lost there dad, uncle and two younger brothers who where 17 and 13 I think... If you can wear pink shirts for breast cancer, you can wear a maroon shirt to support a family and a sister

Yep. There sure is more to life than UNT football.

And there are 360 days on the calendar that aren't NT home games, 364 that aren't nationally televised NT home games. Plenty of time to wear maroon.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ok cool. That makes much more sense. Maybe at the next nationally televised game...every Greek club can wear a different color representing their choice of memorial groups and charities? I think that would look awesome

A greek friend of mine told me him and his brothers left the game in the first quarter and watched the rest at their frat house. This is why there are "greek haters" out there. Not all of them act this way but I feel like most do.

• Upvote 1

A greek friend of mine told me him and his brothers left the game in the first quarter and watched the rest at their frat house. This is why there are "greek haters" out there. Not all of them act this way but I feel like most do.

That's unfortunate. We also can't paint all of us with the same brush.

• Upvote 2

That's unfortunate. We also can't paint all of us with the same brush.

Agreed. Not sure what the current Greek pop. is on campus but it's thousands of kids....all walks of life, all tastes, convictions, etc are well represented. They're very visible organizations and easy to criticize...but that's just it, at least they're visible. Even if they leave early, at least they're showing up. Winning will keep them in the seats. Not all kids have the unrelenting passion those of us have...think of them as swing states, they're the ones you wanna convince. It's no secret that Greeks have some embarrassing reputations, and many are well deserved. But many Greeks have also been some of the best travelers and supporters I've seen since I was on campus. They do a ton of good in the community too btw.

• Upvote 1