Coach Mac Show Tonight 7PM

Harry

gallery_1_139_332594.jpg

DENTON, Texas - The Dan McCarney show can be heard tonight from Rudy's BBQ in Denton. The hour-long show can be heard on the Mean Green Radio Network on 95.3 KHYI and 88.1 FM KNTU.

You can join the Mean Green's head coach and his host, George Dunham, for an hour of insights and highlights starting at 7 p.m. as they talk about the game with Houston and look ahead to Louisiana-Lafayette.

Trivia questions and prizes will be part of the hour-long show along with a live microphone for fans to ask questions of Coach McCarney.

Direct link to KNTU

I'll be there...as usual. And, would encourage some new folks to attend. We pretty much see the same folks each time. Great to see them each week for sure, but would be good to start getting a few more folks to attend. I know these things seem to be "easier" to make the effort to attend when the team wins, but support is important at times such as this as well when the team and coaching staff is doing the re-build/re-load thing. It really means more now than when the good times start rolling in...as we all know...easy to be there and support a winning team, not so much when the effort is not turning into wins...or as many as we would all like.

Come on by Rudy's this evening if you have the chance. It's a lot more fun than sitting around waiting for Monday Night Football to come on...and, if you are a MNF person...you can be home in time to catch most of it anyway.

• Upvote 1

He said that he hurt for the team, because of how hard the worked and did not get results. Said Blake Dunham is doing a great job at deep snapper and won special teams player of the game. Said Zach Olen is back and that Coach Quartaro helped him immensely. Spoke highly of Derek Thompson, said no one is harder on Derek than himself. Said the ULL game is a huge national opportunity. Spoke about a recruit who will be at the game with his coaches and may commit that night. Praised the fans who made the trip to Denton to support the team. He spoke in detail about the freshman defensive line which I addressed in another thread.

He said that he hurt for the team, because of how hard the worked and did not get results. Said Blake Dunham is doing a great job at deep snapper and won special teams player of the game. Said Zach Olen is back and that Coach Quartaro helped him immensely. Spoke highly of Derek Thompson, said no one is harder on Derek than himself. Said the ULL game is a huge national opportunity. Spoke about a recruit who will be at the game with his coaches and may commit that night. Praised the fans who made the trip to Denton to support the team. He spoke in detail about the freshman defensive line which I addressed in another thread.

He mentioned tackling wasn't what he wanted (lots of arm tackles etc.) and it sounded like it was something he wanted the team to focus on before the next game.

• Upvote 1

Did he comment on his decision to take a knee with iver a minute left in the half?

Yes. He said he stands by his decision. He said he and Canales were on the same page. He said that they hadn't been stellar at passing and they didn't want to give Houston a chance for a big play. The fact that North Texas would be receiving the kick in the second half played into the decision too.

I'm just the messenger.

Yes. He said he stands by his decision. He said he and Canales were on the same page. He said that they hadn't been stellar at passing and they didn't want to give Houston a chance for a big play. The fact that North Texas would be receiving the kick in the second half played into the decision too.

I'm just the messenger.

This really is a non-issue. You are getting the ball back 1st in the second half, so why take the risk in that situation.

The interesting part of the exchange with George on this matter: Mac says he didn't want to risk a turnover and not trusting the passing game, then has to be reminded by George that UNT got the bal back 1st in the second half before including that in the decision process.

That tells me, along with running the ball 9 out of the 10 first 1st downs, that Mac does not trust any part of the passing game. If we can't run against 8 and 9 man fronts the rest of the year, get ready for nothing more than 14-21 point productions a game from the offense, with 21 being VERY optimistic.

This doesn't bode well at all going forward

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

This really is a non-issue. You are getting the ball back 1st in the second half, so why take the risk in that situation.

The interesting part of the exchange with George on this matter: Mac says he didn't want to risk a turnover and not trusting the passing game, then has to be reminded by George that UNT got the bal back 1st in the second half before including that in the decision process.

That tells me, along with running the ball 9 out of the 10 first 1st downs, that Mac does not trust any part of the passing game. If we can't run against 8 and 9 man fronts the rest of the year, get ready for nothing more than 14-21 point productions a game from the offense, with 21 being VERY optimistic.

Or you could be ballsy and say to yourself, "let's go get some points before the half and then even more to start the 2nd," but obviously the coaches have no faith in DT and are content with 17-21 pts a game. I'm sorry, but when there's no faith in the QB you might as well pack it in and call it a year. At best we win two more games this year. Sucks to say, but realistically I don't see how anyone can say we win more.

Or you could be ballsy and say to yourself, "let's go get some points before the half and then even more to start the 2nd," but obviously the coaches have no faith in DT and are content with 17-21 pts a game. I'm sorry, but when there's no faith in the QB you might as well pack it in and call it a year. At best we win two more games this year. Sucks to say, but realistically I don't see how anyone can say we win more.

We are going to win more.

There, I said it. I just wish I believed it.

So, if he doesn't trust the current QB, what does that say about the backups? But here's where I'm confused, he (Mac) had no problem whatsoever putting in Osbourne last year at times. Why the reluctance this year??

Why? Because we were having a hell of a time stopping them from scoring on any drive, so the opportunity for us to put two scoring drives together in a row and cut the deficit might be why you take the risk.

The way the game was going (and went), the only way you were going to make it competitive was to be risky and take some gambles. Or you can do like Canales and Mac ultimately decided to do, which was to admit defeat, be as conservative as possible, and try to lose by as little as possible. That worked.

B.S. You are a FBS football team and you don't have a two minute offense? You don't leave points on the board, you look at the clock and say, "Let's go down and score and do it again to start the second half." Take advantage of the situation.

B.S. You are a FBS football team and you don't have a two minute offense? You don't leave points on the board, you look at the clock and say, "Let's go down and score and do it again to start the second half." Take advantage of the situation.

Unless you know you are going to lose the game and you are trying to shorten said game.

Again, 9 of 10 running plays on the first 10 first down plays, against 8 and 9 in the box, tells you everything you need to know.

Edited by UNT90

We have perhaps the shallowest depth in all of FBS at the quarterback position.

There is a reason the back ups don't play.