...is McCarney really a good coach?

meangreener

5 - coaching...you use what you have. how do you open up a passing game when our qb is not a passing qb? and everyone in the stands is a better coach than what is on the field...sorry, i am as guilty as everyone else in this but these guys

spend hours of time each day in film and matching weakness vs strength....our strength this year is running game and trying to get the ball to Chancellor. pretty unbalanced attack when you cant count on passing game.

I would say Delgado is a WR we try to include in the offensive game plan. If he is not number one in terms of receiving yards and catches so far this season then he should be number two.

Good post.

You can't beat bigger,faster,stronger. We don't have many good players at this point in our program. We must realize that after Dodge we started at less than ground zero. Again, there was a reason we were picked 7th in the belt. Give Mac 2 more recruiting classes and then you can bitch. Until then, lets give the staff and players all the support we can.

• Upvote 2

McCarney redshirted about half his freshmen last year and is doing the same this year. He is starting to stock pile players.This should really pay off down the road. On a good team, the 2 deep should be made up of mostly juniors, seniors, and 5th year seniors. This one has 20 freshman or sophomores in the 2 deep. He brought in Trice, Power, and others to try and shore up the lack of talent he had when he got here. It takes time.

• Upvote 1

To compare the only two regimes I've ever seen

Dodgeball -- arrogant incompetence defined. Everybody stare at me on the sidelines and go long! Defense? What's that? What time is it? Can someone help me tie my shoe?

Macball -- the schemes are there. The knowledge is there. The players aren't. The question is, will they be? I'm loathe to make the bare cupboard argument because I found it so stubborn last time, so I make no excuses, but I question what is to come.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Give it time? Seriously? I have been hearing that BS since we went back to Division 1. The situation we are in is embarrassing. We are losing the support of people that have been fans for a long time. A couple of my friends already cancelled their trips for Homecoming weekend because it's depressing and repetitive. Can you really blame someone for not coming in town, spending money, only to feel like crap?

We will win a few more, probably lose more than we win, and the season will fizzle out again. This cycle of failure truly sad.

I will keep watching and being upset with UNT and the Cowboys.

• Upvote 2

You newbies that think he should get a lot of time....People on here that have been following this team for 20 years plus have been there, done that... Oh I was ALL ABOUT "everyone needs to lay off Dodge, he needs more time! I said it WAY too long, defended him too many times. When he was finally let go, my first thought of clarity was, that should have happened 18 months ago. I don't think Mac should be shown the door. But I think people should be held accountable. Do I think everything should be corrected at this point? Certainly not. But I would like to think the going into season 2, we should be past the point of embarrassing ourselves, miscues, not looking competitive. I know Mac won't be given the time that Dodge was given. At some point, RV will have to start answering to people above him.

• Upvote 4

I know that I am new and have a son that plays, but with my experience and with a perspective I get from my son...here are my 2 cents:

1 - Berglund is a stud....3 years of eligibility

2 - Pegram (kid from Purdue) runs all over our D in practice

3 - The Texas transfer at WR....big / strong and fast

4 - a little bias, but I think our redshirted freshman this year is a strong group....McDorman and Watson on DL and Kirby and Trussell on OL.

5 - coaching...you use what you have. how do you open up a passing game when our qb is not a passing qb? and everyone in the stands is a better coach than what is on the field...sorry, i am as guilty as everyone else in this but these guys

spend hours of time each day in film and matching weakness vs strength....our strength this year is running game and trying to get the ball to Chancellor. pretty unbalanced attack when you cant count on passing game.

6 - this is Macs 2nd year....there is still a Dodge hangover at UNT. I see and hear it in here everyday. the recruiting philosophy Dodge had ( dont start recruiting till the end of season...he said that at a camp that Connor went too and then his scheduling of so many "money" games) not a good combination.

I think in two years, you could see a very different team.

Great stuff! Appreciate the inside scoop.

Fans will still show up, but this cycle we have of "improving" is pathetic. We're not improving. I'm a Texans fan and THAT was improving.

How long and how many drafts/off seasons has it taken Kubiak to turn around that mess?

You contradict yourself at every turn.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You newbies that think he should get a lot of time....People on here that have been following this team for 20 years plus have been there, done that... Oh I was ALL ABOUT "everyone needs to lay off Dodge, he needs more time! I said it WAY too long, defended him too many times. When he was finally let go, my first thought of clarity was, that should have happened 18 months ago. I don't think Mac should be shown the door. But I think people should be held accountable. Do I think everything should be corrected at this point? Certainly not. But I would like to think the going into season 2, we should be past the point of embarrassing ourselves, miscues, not looking competitive. I know Mac won't be given the time that Dodge was given. At some point, RV will have to start answering to people above him.

I have been around here 40+ years, and yes it takes time. Look at Fry's first couple of years and half the board was at aone house of worship this morning praying for his return.

This coaching staff is the best we have had since then, and they deserve more than a year a half. This team is young, had minimal depth when Dodge departed and will continue to improve. Fans jumping on and off the bandwagon like fleas on a stray dog is ridiculous. They are attempting to right over 30 years of wrongs. Nobody said it was easy being a North Texas fan, but a dose of realism never hurt.

• Upvote 6

We opened the second half with a drive that utilized a stretch run to the sidelines while in a 4 receiver set that let our trio of backs get out in space and do what they do...make people miss. And it was extremely successful at pouring it down their throat...easily for a score.

After that drive, we went back to what didn't work for us in the first half and we never tried the stretch run out of that set the remainder of thale game.

WHY?

Rick

Thank you...just what I have been saying...we use what works ONCE...then back to the crap that isn't working...WHY?...exactly my question. I think a huge part of this is coaching. Whats wrong with you Dan? Can't you see what everyone else sees? Also something I have noticed...a lack of URGENCY when there should be some...like in the Houston game, I saw this in the first qtr...like WOW..when need to adjust to whats happening here quick or we will be so far underwater we can't recover..I'm not saying panic...but urgency. Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 1

I have been around here 40+ years, and yes it takes time. Look at Fry's first couple of years and half the board was at aone house of worship this morning praying for his return.

This coaching staff is the best we have had since then, and they deserve more than a year a half. This team is young, had minimal depth when Dodge departed and will continue to improve. Fans jumping on and off the bandwagon like fleas on a stray dog is ridiculous. They are attempting to right over 30 years of wrongs. Nobody said it was easy being a North Texas fan, but a dose of realism never hurt.

I have been around since Fry as well, and I can say...what is obvious to the fans should be obvious to the coach...I think much of our failure is not addressing the obvious...not using the short pass, like the slant...not sseeing the big picture in the first quarter...strategically...and only using what works once, then back to the same things that don't work....if you have been around for 40 years, then perhaps you shouldn't be so tolerant...you don't exactly have time on your side either.

I'll should you results oriented football programs...ie Houson....after their first loss to Texas State...off coordinator...fired....now that is demanding and expecting results...if he had been at UNT he would have been around another 3 yrs. Not saying this applies to Dan Mac...but we should expect better results and faster...there are plenty of young coaches who are itching for a chance and can make that happen. I think RV should be asking Dan...why are we doing these things so many of us have talked about on this board...does Dan really know how to win?

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Decent coach, not great talent. The only group on this team that has been able to play with any opponent has been the O-line and we don't always capitalize on that. In all honesty, I don't think we have skill players that can run heroic plays.

That Houston offense was the best we've played in any game this year. QB had a great game and the RB killed us the whole game. Their line was good. Their D was vulnerable, but DT is not a clutch QB. Our O was actually OK, but had to have two more drives that ate clock so their O could be kept off the field.

• Upvote 1

Positives:

Dan has the team playing together. He has a good staff and I hope the foresight to allow each staff member the latitude to coach. He's great at PR and still has most of the fans on his side. I preferred Franchione but I'm not yet disappointed at McCarney's efforts overall. The offensive line is good and it's the one area that I believe can perpetuate itself. Phil Steele rated Berglund the #28 quarterback; the highest rated that we've had at that position. Transfers have been a big positive. The linebacking corps is more than adequate (but needs depth). The S&C coach is the best that we've had. Size has improved as well as team speed. The student body seems to be coming around. I just hope that we can right the ship and keep their enthusiasm. Conference USA. Brelan Chancellor.

Negatives:

Recruiting. The only highly-rated recruits/new players have been transfers. Depth. See previous sentence. Predictability. Opponents know our limitations and tailor their game plans accordingly. Talent. We started with nothing and still have most of it (although I see better days ahead). Scheduling. Although I understand the need this year, please no more five home games scheduling.

McCarney's past record has little to do with whether he is a good coach. He started at the very bottom and had to build and compete against Big XII foes. The only remotely comparable programs that started as low as Dan have been Kansas State and (maybe) Kansas. He is a good coach but school is still out on whether he can turn around North Texas. We should have a good idea by the end of next year.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I am now on the anti-Chico bus!

Pretty sure Chico has been told to keep this thing very basic. It just doesn't make any sense that the passing game would regress this year. Same receivers with a year more experience. Same QB. Basically the same O-line. Yet, it's pretty clear Chico has been told to run the ball on 1st down (anyone remember FIU last year?).

Look to the head coach, not the OC here.

• Upvote 2

Let's see.....what's the theme here...Team loses....fans call the HC stupid and discuss how they all know how to do it better. You just have to love sports. Fans are so predictable.

Hey, at least we see more fans that actually show up and care these ads. That's a bit of progress right there.

But, to answer the first question....YES....Coach Mac IS a good coach....and, yes, he'll get this program turned around.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Alright, you guys talked me into it. I will be the first to say it... We need to get good, and fast. I will start a slush fund to recruit good players., possibly using trans ams, camaro and/or mustangs. This also needs to include prostitutes, drugs and other novelty items, that will bring a lot more visibility. That being said, only one man can help us get to where we need to go- Ron Meyer. I know we don't want to do what SMU does, however, when it comes to fast results, no one improved like SMU back in the late 70's and early 80's. I think we can also get Bobby Collins on as an assistant or special recruiter.

If we need to win, and win now, let's do it. Who's with me?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1